WnSoft Forums

Sound Problem - To IGOR

PeterPan

Hello Igor,

In another post, AlRobin suggests that I might contact you about my sound problem. Here is my problem:

I have watched many slideshows in different versions (4.48, B5 and B6), but I have a problem with the sound. I know Beta 5 is not yet done (wonder when it will!), but whenever I play "any" slideshows made with B5 or B6, the sound is not smooth. It misses here and there, or I here "crackling sounds", I can hear the music but it's not very pretty.

I have checked some suggestions by Al, but I still have the problem. I have the latest DirectX software 9.0.C

Last week, I bought the full version of 4.48, and I don't have any sound problem with that version.

My system:

WinXP Pro

NVidia GeForce2 GTS

Creative SB Live!

512Mb RAM

DirectX 9.0C

Thanks for any clue on how to resolve this dilemma, and help me with my future presentations!

-Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Peter,

We prepared special test version (with new music player), please try it. Download and install to a new folder.

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/MusicTest_Setup.exe

You should hear soft pulsing sound in all created slide shows (instead music).

Without any stutterings.

If it works fine we'll continue work in this direction. And we'll make new music player for v5.00.

Please let me know about result.

For all:

Please also try this special beta (install to a new folder) and please let me know do you hear pulsing sound without stuttering?

Same as RonH also on Creative SB Audigy 2ZS. Very smooth.

Ron [uK]

Igor,

I have also tested the new music player and it is certainly an improvement. There is however still a fairly significant difference when I listen to the same music played on different players on my system. I use Adobe Audition for sound editing (yes I appreciate this is an expensive bit of kit) and Windows Media Player. These both still produce a better sound with exactly the same mp3 file.

Peter

Peter,

We use well known mpg123 MP3 decoder it should give very good quality independently from installed audio codecs on particular PC. Are you use equaliser in WinAmp/Windows Media Player?

p.s. it seems that the problem described in this topic caused by drivers or hardware problem. Same problem with WinAmp + slide show without music. And with both sound engines - WaveOut and DirectSound.

Igor,

I was not using the equaliser as I did not even know it existed! I have now found it but not adjusted it. I think I misunderstood the purpose of your trial. The trial sound ran perfectly well on my system Realtek AC97. I somehow added my own sound track such that when I was in Timeline view and hit Play my music played but rather poorly. When I hit Preview in the main screen your sound played perfectly.

Previously I found that a single mp3 file would play inconsistently. Sometimes it would "skip" as earlier posts reported and other times it would play OK.

I hope I have not confused things further.

Peter

Igor,

This problem is a bit like when your car will not start but always does when the mechanic tries!

I opened PTE v5 beta 8g ran a full screen preview and the music "stuttered" in several places. I ran it about six more times absolutely perfect, no trace of stutter. I removed the music file tried another one perfect again. I removed this one and re-inserted the first track absolutely perfect. This is similar to my previous experience but does not seem to be reproducable on any consistent basis. I did not have any other programs running at the time although I was connected to the internet.

It is probably not worth spending your time on as it seems to resolve itself.

Peter

Peter,

How many times it occured with v5.00? It would be enough for me to learn that for example it occured at least at 2 different days.

Was this problem with previous v4.xx versions?

Please let me know what sound card you have installed?

Thanks in advance,

Igor,

I have just run a short test using full screen preview from the main screen and I got an almost exact repeat. A couple of skips in the music when played for the first time which vanished for repeat plays. This has now happened at least 5 or 6 times.

I do not have a separate sound card but here is a summary of what I do have in case it helps:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor, NVIDIA nForce4 939 pin motherboard with dual channel DDR, 1GB ultra fast DDR RAM.

The sound is nVidia 7.1 channel surround sound (on-board).

I cannot recall having the same problem with v4 but I did quite a lot of playing around with other slide show products over a period of several months. It took me a long time to realise how good a product PTE is compared with its competitors.

I will set up a test using the same slides and music in 4.48 and 5.8g and see what happens. It may however be a few days before I get back to you on the results.

Peter

Igor,

I just could not help myself. I had to run more tests. The same thing happens in both 4.48 and 5.g.

If I reboot my PC open either version and run the preview the music skips in several places. If I run it a second time the skips have vanished. I also tried rebooting running v5 (which did skip) and then running 4.48. To my surprise 4.48 did not skip. I rebooted started 4.48 and the skips wre back again.

Peter

Peter,

I'm afraid it would be difficult to trace this problem. If even we write new music player and spend 2 months for rewritting of that code, no chance to quickly check up - will it help or not, if this problem occurs so rarely.

As I know even WinAmp sometimes stutters when some programs work in background, especially on integrated sound cards.

Igor,

I quite understand and as I said a few posts back I do not think this is worthy of your time. I have so far not been able to replicate the problem on an EXE version so it is not a significant concern. I think I will insist on a separate sound card on any future PCs though.

Thanks for your responses. The End!

Peter