WnSoft Forums

P2E ==> DVD

jinjagoliath

Hi All,

This won't be a new problem, but when my presentation is played on TV there is a loss of around 20% of the images around the edge.

I neglected to account for this, but understand that TVs tend to 'over-scan' the image around the tube resulting in this loss.

The 'action' images don't suffer too badly, but the text and logos, etc. do.

I want to re-work the presentation to 'fix' this but without re-working all of the slides (if possible) ..

( would probably do this by downsizing the all slides by 20%, then pasting them onto a background 1024x768, which is my current full-screen setting )

I have since made a template that shows my estimate of 'SAFE' areas (attached).

I wonder if there is another way .. by changing the aspect ratio when compiling the darn thing to DVD format (currently the setting is PAL 4:3) with a different result? Oh joy if this is the case.

Also, would I have the same problem on the new generation of TVs (without tubes)? Are they like monitors?

Any wisdom gratefully received.

post-1174-1163364789_thumb.jpg

You have experienced the ongoing issue of aspect ratio differences between different cameras, different monitor types and different television types. I'll try to briefly explain below:

Consumer digital cameras, especially ones which are a couple years old or older generally were designed to produce an image with an aspect ratio (the relationship between width and height of the image) which works out to a 4x5 or 8x10 print while dSLR and SLR (35mm) cameras have an aspect ratio which produces a 4x6 or 8x12 print (or any multiple deritive thereof).

So, for example, if you produce a native 35mm scan or an image from a dSLR the image will contain more information in the width than a corresponding capture from a consumer digicam. Normal television (older ones) aspect ratios are 4:3 or based on 100% size 1.33:1 while newer plasma or wide screens are 16:9 or expressed in 100% terms around 1.78:1.

As you can see, a ratio of 4:3 would work out to a print image corresponding to neither 3 by 5 or 4x6 but rather shorter in the horizontal aspect than an older digicam image and a good deal shorter than a dSLR or 35mm while the wide screen is considerably wider than even the dSLR or SLR aspect ratio.

This means we must either loose information on the sides of our slides, create the originals in a cropped format to match the desired final display or have a healthy border on top and bottom (assuming we match the horizontal aspect for the wide screen.

P2E, in the beta, has a feature which lets you actually see how the television screen will display your DVD so that you can compensate. So without distortion of the actual image you must choose between either loosing some horizontal information or having some black borders around some portion of your show.

To make things even more mystifying, aspect ratios of 1:85:1 are common for cinematography with 1.37:1 for sync sound 35mm films and 1.33:1 for old silent films.

In short, there is no free lunch so if you plan on primarily using your images for DVD purposes, you may want to plan your shots by shooting much wider than normal knowing you will either attempt to match a wide screen by specific cropping or have excess which you can expect to loose when matching the 4:3 standard television. Also leave sufficient room in the horizontal for text to fit.

Best regards,

Lin

I wonder if there is another way .. by changing the aspect ratio when compiling the darn thing to DVD format (currently the setting is PAL 4:3) with a different result? Oh joy if this is the case.

As usual, Lin's explanation is very good. I may just focus one direction that may be sufficient remedy for your current situation.

Already in PTE 4.48 you can choose Project Options/Screen, then adjust "% of the screen to show slide images." This will reduce your slides to fit within any TV's safe zone. On a PTE show I just made for DVD, I very easily go back into the project file (.pte) and quickly do a version at 87% if that is what is needed for the eintended TV. To verify for you, I just adjusted my project to use 60% of screen. On this show, I had used a "background" slide of fallen leaves. As I reduce the " % screen", the increased surrounding area is filled with my background slide which covers any TV screen that may be unused by the 60% setting. To me, this would be the simplest solution if it meets your purpose.

Thank you. I will thoroughly digest all of this information and am reminded why this forum is such a bonus to using P2E!

I also have decided to place 2 versions of the show on the DVD I am creating:

1. For PCs (loverly 1024x768 version)

2. For TVs (adjusted as you describe)

Now everyone has a Happy Christmas (especially me!)

Very Grateful!

J :ph34r: G