WnSoft Forums

Will beta over write old version?

Stevie

I’m currently using PTE v4.4 (actually I appear to be using beta #2a). I seem to remember reading on here that there was away of downloading a later version while keeping an earlier one, to revert back to if necessary.

How do I do this?

I don’t want to over write 4.4 as I currently use it for my proofing, but I would like to try V5 to compare with Proshow Gold.

I'm currently using PTE v4.4 (actually I appear to be using beta #2a). I seem to remember reading on here that there was away of downloading a later version while keeping an earlier one, to revert back to if necessary.

How do I do this?

I don't want to over write 4.4 as I currently use it for my proofing, but I would like to try V5 to compare with Proshow Gold.

Stevie,

One way is to simply copy all the files and subfolders in the current PTE directory over to a new one, and then download the new version into that directory, unzip it, and save the new files over the ones existing. Then click "setup" to install it, with or without the usual icons, etc. Then you can easily select which version you want to use.

Stevie,

One way is to simply copy all the files and subfolders in the current PTE directory over to a new one, and then download the new version into that directory, unzip it, and save the new files over the ones existing. Then click "setup" to install it, with or without the usual icons, etc. Then you can easily select which version you want to use.

Thanks for your response, can you expand on it a little more though.

When you say copy all the files into a new directory, do you mean add a new blank folder in the programs folder called say PTE2 and then copy all the existing files from the Picturestoexe folder into that? Or do you mean copy all the PTE program files into a new folder on another hard drive?

Stevie

I am sure what Al means is as your first assumption. Create a new folder in your Program File and rename it as PTE(4.4) or whatever. Then copy over the contents of your PTE folder into it. You can then instal the latest version of PTE 4. If you wish to instal the latest Beta of Version 5 you will find that it will be installed in a separate folder Program Files>PTE 5.0

Ron [uK}

Yes, Ron is correct - it can be either the same drive or a different one - but preferrably a folder just "below" the present one so you know where to find it, or even a sub-folder of the present one. Doesn't matter - PTE is very flexible. :)

Yes, Ron is correct - it can be either the same drive or a different one - but preferrably a folder just "below" the present one so you know where to find it, or even a sub-folder of the present one. Doesn't matter - PTE is very flexible. :)

Thank you both, I will give it a try. I’ve always been cautious about changing the files in the program folder.