WnSoft Forums

Virtual Photographer

Nathan

Last night at our computer club we watched a demo of the Virtual Photographer plug in being used in MS Digital Suite although it's designed forPhotoshop. I came away impressed and decided to download this free plug in and try it out in Elements 5.

The folder contains install instructions which are simply drag the entire folder from the Desktop to Photoshop program folder and drop into 'Plugins'. Opened Elements 5, brought in an image - opened Filters - no sign of VP or OptikVervsLab category.

Searching forums for anything related to Elements I soon realised this plug in has been around for some time now and began to wonder, beyond Elements 3 or CS has Adobe updated later versions to not require this plugin and to ignore it's presence. Certainly nowhere could I find anyone else beyond 2004 with my problem.

I'm very much new to Elements or most things Adobe and would appreciate any help on this subject please.

Hi Nathan,

I didn't know this free plugin.

So thank you for letting me know that it exists.

I installed it and it is really amazing!

I have Photoshop CS2 and I drop the folder in \Plug-Ins\Filters.

When opening Filters, I have "optikVerve Labs" at the bottom.

I really don't know if there is such a folder (\Plug-Ins\Filters) with Elements but may be you can have a look. :unsure:

Hi Nathan

When you extract the .zip file it gives you a folder within a folder.

Make sure Elements is closed down.

Drag or copy and paste only the folder with the 4 files in it, into your Photoshop Elements / Plug-in folder.

Start up Elements.

Check at the bottom of the "Filter" section and see if it is listed as " optikVerveLabs "

Let us know how you make out.

This is a very nice plug-in which we have used with Elements 3 now for some time.

In Elements 3 - possible the same in 5

Under "Edit " section - Preferences - section " Plug-Ins & Scratch Disk " you can also designate an " Additional Plug-Ins Folder " from other graphic programs, if Photoshop supports them.

Thank you all for responding.

Hawk, your Edit section guide is something I've never seen mentioned in my search before. Could this be where I've gone? I hope so.

The Dom, I'd seen the filters folder mentioned for CS2 but not for Elements. Another possible cure.

There's only one way to find out.

I Shall Return.

Many thanks.

Well that didn't take long, it actually works. Where I'd gone wrong was to drag VP into a Plugin folder based in Adobe's main folder and not into Plugin folder nestling within Elements own folder.

Why I did that I'll never know, probably because it was the first plugin folder I saw is my only excuse.

Sorry!

Now all I have to do is play with VP and learn.

Thank you for your patience.

No Ken I did not. Did have a scroll through thinking about it must admit, then decided let's go with one at a time, will see how I perform with VP first.

I don't pretend to be a photo editor who can stand alongside many of the members here. Very much at the basic stage with Adobe Photoshop, Microgrfx was a wee bit easier to use but not as powerful.