WnSoft Forums

PTE5 Documentation

leonard

Hi! All,

I have been following this thread with great interest and it seem to me that the answer for the short term and maybe even the final solution is right under our noses….

The users with the most knowledge and experience have already written comprehensive Tutorials and produced AVi Video’s that give visual aid, these have been posted on to Dom’s site and made available to all, would it be to much to ask for a link to this site is placed under the Help menu, then we would have an unlimited supply of help and information at our finger tips, I do not know what the legal side as far as Igor and Team would be, but I think it’s an idea that can be expanded upon, can anybody suggest something simpler.

Tom

I think this is an excellent idea if it is possible. Alternatively I have suggested to Igor that he put a link on the Wnsoft main web page, or even a separate forum heading with the link in.

Just to supplement many of the comments made in this thread. I too originally had some difficulty in getting started with PTE and the new version is much more complicated. I wrote some guide for myself (which is a good way to learn the various features) and then thought that I would make these generally available. I intend to re-write the PTE Version 5 guide, but only when the final version is fully operational. My own approach is to prepare a reference document in pdf format. But there has been some excellent work by others using screen captures and video guides. I believe a writtenvpdf guide can be useful as a "look up" source when you get stuck with a particular feature.

Jeff

Al, I'm sorry that you seem to have taken some of the comments in this thread a little personally, because I doubt that anyone can deny that you offer as much help and support as anyone, and on a regular basis.

In connection with other observations, I still think that it is essential to have a much more detailed Help file within PTE, but there was never any suggestion to aim for the detail of an Adobe file! That would be futile in aiming to help the beginner, and totally unnecessary. No, just an outline of each function is all that is needed.

The idea of incorporating links from a Help file to useful sites etc is maybe OK as an extra, but I go back to my previous point - you want help to be at hand when you are actually using PTE, and at that particular time you may not be on-line, and therefore not have access to that kind of help.

Also, creating a Help file at this moment in time is also a non-starter - you just don't waste time on it at a beta stage.

Al, I'm sorry that you seem to have taken some of the comments in this thread a little personally, because I doubt that anyone can deny that you offer as much help and support as anyone, and on a regular basis.

Sorry if I came on a little strong! I was not taking anything personally - just a little impatient at the direction this discussion was taking, and the demands which were being made on Igor and others, without any apparent empathy for those who were expected to do all this extra work, and while not appearing to accept responsibility for (in fact resisting) getting down and digging into the various Forum postings and other documents which have been produced by various people over the past year or so on this subject.

In connection with other observations, I still think that it is essential to have a much more detailed Help file within PTE, but there was never any suggestion to aim for the detail of an Adobe file! That would be futile in aiming to help the beginner, and totally unnecessary. No, just an outline of each function is all that is needed.

As someone pointed out, "Help" ala some of the mainline graphics producers would be "no Help". :rolleyes:

The idea of incorporating links from a Help file to useful sites etc is maybe OK as an extra, but I go back to my previous point - you want help to be at hand when you are actually using PTE, and at that particular time you may not be on-line, and therefore not have access to that kind of help.

Also, creating a Help file at this moment in time is also a non-starter - you just don't waste time on it at a beta stage.

I agree.

This whole discussion brought a little story to mind. (Sometimes, in an argument, one's points are best made through a bit of humour - please don't take anything here personally).

There was an old man sitting on his porch watching the rain fall. Pretty soon the water was coming over the porch and into the house.

The old man was still sitting there when a rescue boat came and the people on board said, "You can't stay here you have to come with us."

The old man replied, "No, God will save me." So the boat left. A little while later the water was up to the second floor, and another rescue boat came, and again told the old man he had to come with them.

The old man again replied, "God will save me." So the boat left him again.

An hour later the water was up to the roof and a third rescue boat approached the old man, and tried to get him to come with them.

Again the old man refused to leave stating that, "God will save him." So the boat left him again.

Soon after, the man drowns and goes to heaven, and when he sees God he asks him, "Why didn't you save me?"

God replied, "You idiot, I tried. I sent three boats after you!!"

Hi Leonard

I see you are based in Bath! :D

You have many tutorials & lectures going on in your area.

Suggest you go along on February 11th to see Ian Bateman lecture & demo in Bath.

If he wasn't so likely to read this I'd tell you how brilliant he is - the best digital AV lecturer around,

but that would make him big headed so just go along top find out for yourself! :D

There are many other meetings too, so send me an e-mail if you really want to see PTE demonstrated & share your problems with experts or just friendly helpers.

Next meeting will be Photoshop techniques on January 7th but that's about three quarters of an hour drive from Bath at Aldbourne.

You should see lots of PTE sequences in the UK version of the 321 International Festival on February 18th at Aldbourne. They will be from all over the World. Great opportunity to get to know many PTE workers in your area too & have face to face sessions to learn !

There are so many sources for PTE notes out there I'm surprised you haven't tripped over all the web links, clubs and groups!......... especially living in Bath. Waves was based there for years but now meets at Trowbridge.

If you need more info get in touch with me. :)

BW Maureen

Hi Leonard,

I see you have now made the link with Barry Beckham. I would recomend his CD/DVD tutorials as an excellent way of learning PTE together with lots of other useful tips on improving the preentation of audio vusual material. They may not replace manuals but they are a much more enjoyable way of learning as far as I am concerned. I also found Jeff Evans PDF tutorial PTEv5 guide an excellent starting point for v5. It is on Thedoms site. One of the problems I find is that there are so many people willing to help and producing excellent tutorials it is hard to decide which ones to start with! There are many other contributors worthy of mention but I these are good strating points.

Peter