WnSoft Forums

New Year - Old Fun

LumenLux

A sequence full of joy and fun to brighten up the day. The music seemed to be coming to an end on a few occasions when I expected the sequence to end with a joyous tumble. The photography was excellent, but I am not sure if I liked the use of cut outs on a white background. Very useful images in themselves for use as *.png files in PTE 5.0. Nevertheless I enjoyed the experience. Thanks a lot and a Happy New Year to you too. :D

Ron [uK]

A sequence full of joy and fun to brighten up the day. The music seemed to be coming to an end on a few occasions when I expected the sequence to end with a joyous tumble. The photography was excellent, but I am not sure if I liked the use of cut outs on a white background. Very useful images in themselves for use as *.png files in PTE 5.0. Nevertheless I enjoyed the experience. Thanks a lot and a Happy New Year to you too. :D

Ron [uK]

Thank you Ron for the comments.

I am not very conversant yet with .png's. I have used them very little and would like to have a better understanding of their use and benefits. In this instance, do you have ideas how I might use these same cutouts as .png in this sequence?

You ask "In this instance, do you have ideas how I might use these same cutouts as .png in this sequence? ". The short answer is "Not particularly" but my mind conjured up a body tumbling and ending up hidden in a shower of snow. From what we have seen produced already with PTE 5.0 I am sure someone could do it. In my original experiments, back in May when PTE 5.0 Beta #1 was introduced, I made a dog tumble off a pile and disappear into the sea but it wasn't worthy of publication.

Ron [uK]

post-8-1168728111_thumb.jpg

post-8-1168728266_thumb.jpg

You ask "In this instance, do you have ideas how I might use these same cutouts as .png in this sequence? ". The short answer is "Not particularly" but my mind conjured up a body tumbling and ending up hidden in a shower of snow. From what we have seen produced already with PTE 5.0 I am sure someone could do it. In my original experiments, back in May when PTE 5.0 Beta #1 was introduced, I made a dog tumble off a pile and disappear into the sea but it wasn't worthy of publication.

Ron [uK]

post-8-1168728111_thumb.jpg

Thank you Ron. From your attached photos I get some idea and I can see the dog you posted is a .png while the ocean view itself is a .jpg. I think though I may be missing the key advantage of using the .png instead of a .jpg of the dog. Maybe you could bring me and others further into the basic understanding zone. I think it may have been an earlier tutorial or demo of yours with .png and masks, or just masks, that intrigued me but I never really understood it all. Or maybe it was Roger that made it? Who ever, what ever, thank you for the help. Eventually, a lot of things sink in. :)

Now, (30 seconds later), is the essential difference between the .png cut-out and the .jpg cut-out, that the .jpg still must have a rectangle background and therefor can't be transparent to the cut-out shape?

I cloned out the dog (poodle) from the seascape in Photoshop and used the resultant image as a background. The poodle was then replaced on the top of the pile as an object in "Objects and Animation" and the movement into the water created from there.

Ron [uK]

Guest Techman1

I am not very conversant yet with .png's. I have used them very little and would like to have a better understanding of their use and benefits. In this instance, do you have ideas how I might use these same cutouts as .png in this sequence?

Bob,

Thank you for sharing your slideshow with us. I wish we had more snow here, but we did at least get a little this year. It looks like that was a fun day for all.

Regarding .png files, I created a little example using a couple of photos from your slideshow. I created a png file of one of the little girls on a disk. I then used that png file where it looks like she is coming down the hill and getting larger as she gets closer to you. I should have created the bump in the center using another png file so that she would disappear slightly before hitting the bump, but you get the idea from this. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Snow Hill PNG Demo - V5B8u - Zip File - Approx. 1MB

Regards,

Fred

Thank you Ron and thank you Fred for the fun demo. I was quite amused by your animation, as were the sledding participants.

Also, the thoughts of both of you have given me more ideas. They even motivated me to use a couple of text.png files on a blog/website I am doing. BUT - now I hit a quick stumper. Probably an obvious answer for you? I successfully made a text-only .png in PS Elements. The text shows up fine in Firefox browser with the transparent background not evident at all. (just like I want it.) When the same .png file is viewed with Internet Explorer, the "transparent" background shows as low opacity, but is visable behind the text. That is problem #1. The "stumper" is the next .png I made for a similar use in the same web page. This #2.png is also text only and I thought I made it the same as I did the first one. However - this #2.png does not show on the website as "transparent" background, but rather with a black background. It shows this way in both Firefox and IE. Is this a simple setting I missed in PS Elements, or do you know what I have done wrong?

Guest Techman1

#2.png does not show on the website as "transparent" background, but rather with a black background. It shows this way in both Firefox and IE. Is this a simple setting I missed in PS Elements, or do you know what I have done wrong?

Glad you liked the sample! Regarding the other .png file problems on a website, I'm just not sure. Can you share the link so that we could possibly view the site? How did you setup the HTML code on your website using the .png files? I don't have PS Elements, but I'm sure it's very similar to the full version of Photoshop.

Let me (or others) know how we can help.

Regards,

Fred