WnSoft Forums

Multiple copies of DVD’s

Stevie

I have recently been using the new V5 beta and found making DVD’s simpler and more reliable than with Proshow, however I need some advice on making multiple copies.

It takes maybe 20 minutes to go through the process of producing the DVD from the PTE file, and if you then try to produce another it takes the same time again. With Proshow I think a temporary file is produced and any subsequent copies are made from that which takes a fraction of the time.

To try to make things easier I tried to just copy the first DVD, but couldn’t, even using Clone DVD. Is there some function in V5 to stop copying?

I need some advice on making multiple copies.

.......snip............ Is there some function in V5 to stop copying?

Stevie,

If you select the option to "Create DVD folders" in VideoBuilder, the program will save a copy of the video files to your HD. Then you can make any number of DVD's by simply copying these files to them, in normal "Data" mode. There will be 7 or more such files, named "VIDEO_TS.BUP", "VIDEO_TS.IFO", "VIDEO_TS.VOB", "VTS_01_0.BUP", etc. in a folder called "VIDEO_TS", as well as an empty folder, "AUDIO_TS". Simply copy the two folders: "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" from your HD to the root of each DVD.

This should work for most DVD players - you might want to experiment a bit to make sure, first, before burning too many copies. Where it doesn't work is where copy protection has been applied to the DVD - a feature not yet available in PTE.

what error message did you get

I think the DVD just ejected.

what all programs did you use to do a disk copy

I tried Clone DVD

Stevie,

If you select the option to "Create DVD folders" in VideoBuilder, the program will save a copy of the video files to your HD. Then you can make any number of DVD's by simply copying these files to them, in normal "Data" mode. There will be 7 or more such files, named "VIDEO_TS.BUP", "VIDEO_TS.IFO", "VIDEO_TS.VOB", "VTS_01_0.BUP", etc. in a folder called "VIDEO_TS", as well as an empty folder, "AUDIO_TS". Simply copy the two folders: "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" from your HD to the root of each DVD.

This should work for most DVD players - you might want to experiment a bit to make sure, first, before burning too many copies. Where it doesn't work is where copy protection has been applied to the DVD - a feature not yet available in PTE.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Wouldn't copy protection would be a great feature.

Stevie

Thanks for your suggestion, we'll add "Number of copies" option already to this v5.00 or next version. Currently you can use "Create ISO" option to burn disc later in another program.

Al,

It's dangerous to burn VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders in "data" mode. Such disc will not play on many old and some new DVD players. You need to use "DVD-Video" mode in Nero if you want to burn VIDEO_TS folders. Because for DVD-Video files should be specially sorted to be fully compliant with DVD-Video specifications.

Maybe Nero automatically do it if you add VIDEO_TS folder in "Data" mode.

Better to use "Create ISO image" option and burn ISO file in any program. It's more simple and safe.

We don't add copy protection.

Al,

It's dangerous to burn VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders in "data" mode. Such disc will not play on many old and some new DVD players. ............

I know it doesn't always work - but it works for me with my player, so it's a handy way to copy a show to a DVD. However, the ISO file is probably the best way to do it.

Igor,

I thought that capability was already in VB?

While Sergey is doing that, could you please ask him to have VB create a unique file name for the mpeg files, too?

Please tell me more.

When you select the option to create an mpeg file, VB calls the file "0.mpg", and overwrites any other "0.mpg" file in that directory. It would help if VB would name the mpeg file the same as it names the "iso" file.

It would help too if VB would also automatically put the mpeg and iso files in the same video directory as it puts the "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" folders. (i.e. a directory by the same name as the VB "Project Name".)

I asked Sergey write special function for Video Builder:

"Burn ISO image" button. You can create ISO image now and burn created image of a DVD-Video disc at any time right in Video Builder.

Sorry, Igor, I misunderstood you to mean "create ISO image and burn the show to a DVD at the same time", features which are already available in VB. I didn't think of the option to burn a previously-created ISO image. I guess that this would be a handy feature for creating multiple copies of a DVD.

• 3 months later...

Igor, you mentioned a while ago that you would add ‘number of DVD copies’ and also that you had asked Sergey to add a ‘create ISO’ button.

I would still like the option of burning multiple copies, preferably after I have burnt the first and checked for errors. Perhaps you could give an update for us. Thank you.