WnSoft Forums

Changing/Replacing a Slide in the Slide List

John-W

I have been producing A-V presentations using traditional dual slide projection equipment for 28 years (see my Profile), but the time to make the transition to ‘digital’ may have come!

I am currently evaluating PTE V4.48 and am impressed with its capability to emulate traditional A-V production techniques.

But a basic function appears to be missing, ie. a means of changing (replacing) a slide in the Slide List with an alternative slide, and without affecting the transition parameters. This is the equivalent of changing an existing slide in a sequence that is arranged on a light box or loaded in a slide magazine.

For example, a simple implementation would be the ability to ‘Alt + Drag & Drop’ a slide from the source file window on top of an existing slide in the Slide List, ie. introducing an alternative slide. This would replace an existing slide, rather than adding a new slide. It would be essential for the existing transition point and duration to remain unchanged.

When producing an A-V sequence using slides I tend to work with a rough set of images and then establish the exact transition points and durations in synchronisation with the audio. I then review the images and perhaps change individual slides to optimise the final sequence.

Has this functional requirement for PTE been raised before?

Is there any support from other users for its inclusion in a new Version?

I look forward to comments!

Hi John-W

Welcome to the forum.

If I understand correctly what you mean, PTE v5 (beta) has this function in a way.

In the slidelist, select the slide you want to replace, click on the "objects and animation" button, and in the "properties" tab (1), browse to the new image (2). (see image attached)

Once this new image selected, it will replace the previous one without affecting anything for your slide (duration, transition, ...).

Is it what you are waiting ?

post-2148-1169911189_thumb.jpg

I am currently evaluating PTE V4.48 and am impressed with its capability to emulate traditional A-V production techniques.

But a basic function appears to be missing, ie. a means of changing (replacing) a slide in the Slide List without affecting the transition parameters. This is the equivalent of changing an existing colour slide in a synchronised sequence that is arranged on a light box or loaded in a slide magazine.

John,

Welcome to the Forum!

Dom has given you a good explanation for replacing an image in O&A.

You can also do the same in the main window of PTE (even in version 4.48). When you click on an image in the slide list, the pathname for that image shows up on the line entitled "Show image". If you click on the "browse" button to the right of this, you can browse to the image you want, and simply select it, and it will replace the one already there.

Hi John

Also using current v4.48, in the timeline,you can right-click on the slide you wish to replace and click 'replace main image'; then doubleclick your chosen replacement. It will be inserted in the same position and take over the attributes of the image you have removed.

All things are possible! Welcome to the forum.

DEN (NE UK)

Thank you Dom, Al and Den for your prompt replies and advice. The methods you describe do indeed achieve the required results – I doubt if I would have found them!

Is the ‘Browse by Filename’ button a legacy from a previous more basic method of slide selection used prior to introduction of thumbnails? I ask because it does appear to be somewhat redundant now, apart from carrying out the ‘replace’ function as you describe.

However, I think that browsing for replacement slides in this manner, away from the standard combined slide thumbnails + slide list display, is not ideal. I like to be able to assess the context into which a potential replacement slide would be placed, ie. it’s relation with the previous and next slides, as you would do on a light box.

In my opinion, my suggested ‘Alt + Drag & Drop’ solution for replacing a slide in the slide list with an alternative slide is far more intuitive, and it would be consistent and coincident with the existing thumbnail-based slide list compilation functions.

Does anyone agree with me?

I do hope that Igor can add this small but, I believe, very useful functional enhancement.

John

Is the 'Browse by Filename' button a legacy from a previous more basic method of slide selection used prior to introduction of thumbnails? I ask because it does appear to be somewhat redundant now, apart from carrying out the 'replace' function as you describe.

I guess you could look at it that way, although the ability to choose slides from a file list was always available, too, but not from thumbnails or a light-table as is now possible.

However, I think that browsing for replacement slides in this manner, away from the standard combined slide thumbnails + slide list display, is not ideal. I like to be able to assess the context into which a potential replacement slide would be placed, ie. it's relation with the previous and next slides, as you would do on a light box.

In my opinion, my suggested 'Ctrl + Drag & Drop' solution for replacing a slide in the slide list is far more intuitive, and it would be consistent and coincident with the existing thumbnail-based slide list compilation functions..

This feature is available now for pulling together the slide list. The light table can be used to move slides around, and view each in context with others around it. slides can also be dragged and dropped into the slide list from the light table.

However, each slide added is treated as a fresh slide, with no existing functions added, except for the ones automatically applied through "Project Options". In my experience, once the slide list has been initially set up in this manner, replacing a slide is usually done with the knowledge of which particular one is required. However, even here, with the features available in Windows XP, it is possible now to actually view the potential selections in thumbnail form in choosing a slide to replace one already set up and customized on the slide list. :)

Hi John and welcome to the forum,

Which part of Lancashire are you from? You have at least 2 very good AV groups nearby - West Lancs AV Group (meets in Ainsdale nr Southport) and Wilmslow Guild AV Group (meets, unsurprisingly in Wilmslow).

These are specific to AV and both hold practical nights and have guest speakers etc so may be worthwhile joining one if you can. Otherwise most camera clubs nowadays have gone digital so it may be worth looking out for your nearest club, as they all tend to have a wealth of knowledge you can tap into....and by all means continue to use the forum but I find seeing a practical demo/answer is sometimes better than reading it on a message board.

Mike

Welcome. Try this site http://cameraclubs.photopro.co.uk and key in your postcode. This will give you a start to find out which if any include AV in their programme. Good luck.

Ron [uK]

• 4 months later...

It would be more logical to use 'Alt + Drag & Drop', rather than 'Cntrl + Drag & Drop', for this simple enhancement, ie. change an existing slide in the Slide List for an alternative slide. (I've modified my previous posts accordingly).