WnSoft Forums

Where did my work go?

foto1

I have installed hyperlinks in my slide program to use as navigational buttons within the program (go to slide # etc). They are doing mysterious things. Sometimes after I have saved my work, closed the program, then return later, and open the program they are not there! I am positive I have saved my work! Sometimes in preview mode the function still works but the hyperlink will not show so that I can edit it to give it a different function etc. What is happening? I have reinstalled the program and it is still happening.

Thanks

Foto1, if you are using Version 5 Beta#, that may be the problem/answer. The features you mention work perfectly in PTE V4.48, but they are not yet "activated" in the current V5 Beta. If you are having the problem in V4.48, then we will need to dig further into what you are hitting.

I have 4.48. I am using the hyperlinks as menu buttons. I used the space bar to get the size of button I wanted to use. This way they would be invisable hot spots. It worked okay last week. I have reinstalled but without removing the old program. I did not want to lose weeks worth of work.

If this is not going to work this way can anybody tell me how to make invisable buttons another way.

Many thanks for your help!

It is not that the program can not go and find a file to display. The link I put on the slide is not getting saved. I am just saving the work as a project. It's a work in progress. I have not saved it via "create" choice. I am losing work from one work session to another. If I make buttons with the button maker so far they have been there to edit next time. Thanks!

Welcome foto1

You asked about invisable buttons .........

I wrote something for a magazine article a while back.............

Sorry I haven't yet transfered everything from my old site to the new one and this article is still on the old site for www.digital-av.co.uk but the old files are here

Hope this helps if it is what you have in mind. :D

BW

Maureen

foto1 - version 4.48

I have installed hyperlinks in my slide program to use as navigational buttons within the program (go to slide # etc). They are doing mysterious things. Sometimes after I have saved my work, closed the program, then return later, and open the program they are not there!

In the “Object Editor” when you create a Button or Hyperlink with an action link “ go to slide # “ make sure you click OK

You must then also click OK at top of Object and Editor screen.

Otherwise it will not be saved.

Not sure if this is your problem or not, but I have overlooked this many times.

As to:

Sometimes in preview mode the function still works but the hyperlink will not show so that I can edit it to give it a different function etc.

I am a little confused here, do I assume you cannot see your hyperlink TEXT ?

It is not that the program can not go and find a file to display. The link I put on the slide is not getting saved. I am just saving the work as a project. It's a work in progress. I have not saved it via "create" choice. I am losing work from one work session to another. If I make buttons with the button maker so far they have been there to edit next time. Thanks!

foto1,

You are right, if you don't have text in the hyperlink, it will disappear when the project is closed out.

About the only way to create a transparent control point is to use a small custom-designed transparent GIF image.

I wrote this in a topic "Buttons" on 28 December 2003:

"This thread asking about buttons and the Object Editor has prompted me to place on the Beechbrook site a very short demonstration sequence for opening a show. It is called “Intro Demo”. Thank you Bill for your perseverance in helping me in finally getting a sequence on your site.

"I am grateful to Keith and Ian for their initial advice on how to use the Object Editor and to Nobeefstu and CC for pointing me in the right direction in the use of invisible buttons. The thread “Object Editor – Invisible Button Bounding Box” relating to the latter was on 11 October 2003. All of the images were prepared in Photoshop."

I am still using the method in 4.48 for introducing my programmes and am patiently awaiting the Object Editor to be opened in 5.0. My "Intro Demo" is still on the Beechbrook site and a more recent version on page 6 (Links) of my website (bottom left club logo link). The latter is a large folder containing my whole workings at that time. Open the folder and set the sequence running by clicking on the 06 on a yellow background icon. When this intro sequence ends run your mouse over the portraits and where a hand appears there is a sequence from that person. Click to open. See also my original thread on this latter sequence entitled "Versions 4.0 and 5.0 - Interim Arrangements" initiated 25 August 2006.

Ron [uK]