WnSoft Forums

New camera=better slideshows, right?

Danabw

Just too excited to keep it to myself. Finally upgrading my trusty Oly 2020z digicam to a Canon G3.

Should be here tomorrow, and I'm excited to have some new toys to play with. Got a couple of lens adapters (Lensmate 52mm and 58mm), a UV filter, and a Canon 58mm 1.75x tele.

The Canon's 4x zoom combined w/the tele will get me about 7x total zoom, so my kids sports slideshows will be that much better - at the baseball diamond I'll be able to see the sweat trickling down their dusty faces. :-)

Any other G2 or G3 users out there w/any tips for a G3 newbie? I already have the Short Courses G3 book on order...

Dana

yea right, and we expect to see the fully documented results in the form of some PTE shows. :ph34r:

I do not use the G3, but my neighbor loves his G2. I notice that Michel (author of many very nice photos he has shared, most recently his PTE "Cinque Terre") tags at least some of his work as being done with the G2. So you see what you have gotten yourself into - no more excuses for anything less than great photos!

Really though, I appreciate you shareing your decision to buy the G3. I remember (I think)when you first joined the forum, you shared some careful comparisons and thoughts about digital camera models. So, if that is the case, then I find it meaningful that you have now chosen the G3. If my memory is out in left field, then thanks anyway for sharing what you have decided. I expect even your "high demand" approach to av, will be quite well fed with your new toy.

yea right, and we expect to see the fully documented results in the form of some PTE shows.

Aieeee - what have I gotten myself into! :-)

Thanks - I was torn between the G3, the Canon S45 and S50, and the Fuji FinePix S602z. Each had strengths and weaknesses. The G3's biggest problem (along w/the Fuji) is size, it's bigger than I wanted. But it has great optics and picture quality, a wide range of options and manual controls as well as capable point and shoot results, a remote (which my Oly has and I use fairly often), enough pixels to play with, and a ton of resources (add-ons, accessories), and a lively community of users w/a ton of expertise. I actually wanted to stay w/Oly, as they have a size advantage, but the new 5050z is just too slow (time from shutter press to shot, and shot to shot) compared to the G3.

Of course, in about a week 10 new models will be announced that make the G3 a piddling toy suitable only for children. But you always have to deal w/the god of obselence with technology ... :-)

Dana

The G3's biggest problem (along w/the Fuji) is size, it's bigger than I wanted.

A camera that I have used and really like a lot is a digital Sony DSC-F700. As I contemplated one for myself, the salesman quickly dismissed it as "too big" and routed me to the G2(3). Size is relative to our needs I guess.

a lively community of users w/a ton of expertise.

Is this community part of a site that encompasses other brands? The digital I currently use is a choice based very much on the extremely small size. The Konica 400 is a tiny body 4.3 megapix that serves me well, but has lesser lens and fewer controls than your G3 or the Sony mentioned. I would like to see if there is a similarly good group of users for this model.

Of course, in about a week 10 new models will be announced that make the G3 a piddling toy suitable only for children. But you always have to deal w/the god of obselence with technology ...

Helping someone move the other day, I picked up a book from the discard pile. The well known book,

Future Shock by Alvin Toffler was first published in 1970. I decided 33 years was a long enough wait for me to now read a book about the effects of rapid and accelerating change in the world. :ph34r: Should be interesting to see what it looked like in 1970 vs. what we all recognize as you cite above.

Yup - size is a subjective thing. The G3 isn't too big, just a little bigger than I'd like it to be. :-) A subtle distinction, and one likely only means anything to me. The ability to add on lenses was a big thing for me (for sports and nature photos), and w/the bayonet mount that the G3 uses it will be easier than w/some of the other digicams I looked at.

The best communities I have found on a digicam site is at www.dpreview.com - look in the Forums section. I don't know how lively the Konica area will be (or if there is one) but if there is a Konica community it is likely to be on that site. www.imaging-resource.com and steves-digicams.com also have discussion boards as well, but I don't think they are quite as active...but haven't checked in a while.

You could also search using Google on your camera's name - I found one really good G3 forum that way.

Enjoy Future Shock (now known as Past Future Shock?). Going back to a book like that can be fun...

Dana

• 3 years later...