WnSoft Forums

Object Editor - Can it CENTER better?

I have been graduated to the 'next level' of use here with P2E and the results can be quite stunning, so some of my customers have said.

I created a Wedding Samples slideshow, combining several weddings to show the style of my work. I used the Object Editor to add some simple text at the beginning and then did disolves to black (well, my gradient blue to black, actually) lending more of a video feel.

What happened was strange. On my main computer, the Title of my piece is centered, having used the Object Editor and the Center Button under Set Position. It worked great.

But once I transferred this slideshow to my laptop (from where I will present it, most of the time), the title is no longer centered. ALL the images are dead-on centered on BOTH my editing and playback computers, but the title is centered only on my editing machine.

Oops. Anyone know why this might be?

Thought I don't think it should matter how I set up my "screen" in my slideshow (since all the slides are showing up centered), I have the slideshow screen set to Window Mode without border, set at 1024 x 768, which happens to be the resolution of both computer screens.

OK... what gives?

Charlie Seymour, Jr.

Outside Philadelphia, PA, USA

"What happened was strange..."

Very strange, Charlie.

Try this experiment. With MS Paint or any other image editor make a 5x5 pixels white image, and save it as .bmp or .gif.

Create a new presentation, set the default black background (where you can clearly see your little white square), place your image as main picture (this will be automatically centered on the screen), and also as object. Set its position at center, and then move it manually few pixels above (or under) the "main" one.

In created presentation you must see the two little squares vertically aligned, very close, on any computer, and also at different screen resolution.

If this won't happen, please write again...

Charles

I had the same problem with a slide show I created a while back.

The title page had both a background image & text, which was created in object editor,

when viewed on my computer both the image & text were centered on screen as they should have been

but when viewed on a friends computer only the image was centered, with the text both

enlarged an overlapping onto the right hand side of the screen.

I noticed that not only was the text enlarged & off centre, but it was also a different font from the one

I had written the text with (Times N/R instead of the script font I had used).

I assumed from this that maybe P2E doesn't embed the fonts within the presentation but looks

for them on the host computer, I then changed the title font to a more universal font (Arial, I think)?

and it cured the problem, In this instance anyway.

Alan

Lets say you create a show using Lucinda handwriting font -- in order for Lucinda to show on anybody else's system they must have that font installed.

In our old lost forum this "missing font" subject was covered. I believe fonts are copyrighted and that comes into the equation B)

ken

It seems to me that all the problem is due to missing fonts on user's computer, then a set of different fonts are displayed, and this cause the un-centered. Can "Font Installer" help ?

Font_Installer

==========

This utility will copy a Font file (.ttf) from your CD to the Font folder of the user.

Very easy to use:

Open "Font.txt" and you'll see one first line: \FontName.TTF

Leave the \ as it is and write the name of your font file. Example: if your font file is "mama.ttf", you write:

\mama.ttf

Remember to include a copy of your font file on the CD.

(If you can not copy the font file, do this: drag the font file to your project folder. This will remove the file from your font folder to your destination folder. Now copy the file from your destination folder and paste back to your own fonts folder).

In the root of your CD you put these files:

1. Your presentation.

2. "Font_Installer.exe"

3. "Font.txt"

4. "autorun.inf"

5. Your Font file.

Since this utility was not created originally for PTE, here is how to do the rest. When Igor, as he promised, will add a new action called: "Run application and go to next page" , all you will have to do is use this action at the first page. Ok, since we have to improvise, we can do it only in this way:

Link the "Font_Installer.exe" to a button with "Run application..." action. Call the button something like "Install Fonts" or "Use original Fonts" or whatever, so the user will understand the point. You can also tell user in your "Readme" the name of the font in case he want to remove it.

When Igor will add the desired action, I'll make an improved version.

You can try it on your computer. Instead of CD use a folder.

I did not uploaded this one anywhere, so whoever want it, write boxig@zahav.net.il me email and I'll send it (333 kb in zip)

Granot

Charlie Seymour, Jr.

I agree with Guido, it is indeed a very strange font issue when using a "Windowed Mode" display. Usually all objects and fonts maintain their relative position (x,y) in a Windowed Mode setting. Its usually when using "Full Screen" viewed at different resolutions is when you get shift displacement of objects ... this is due to the x,y positions now becoming relative to the viewers (users) pc Monitor screen settings (800, 1024, etc.)

And Boxig is correct ... if the viewers (users) PC does not have the font within their own system that you used you will get font variations ... the normal action of MS OS is to use the default setting font ( font type,size, etc) on the users PC.

PTE does not embed fonts or distribute them due to protective copywrite issues.

Note : You may want to check your various pcs that the same exact font and version type are installed in all your pcs.

If you create your Text in a Graphic editor and save it as a Gif.

You can place that with the object editor. Then you will not have

to worry about what fonts are on other computers.

PTE 4.0 will allow the use of transparent background Gifs.

And earlier versions of PTE you could open the properties and check, the

check box to make the background transparent.

cc