WnSoft Forums

He's my Brother

Lin Evans

Lin, I have done a new PTE file with your files, but after resized all the pictures in order all are at 100% on a 3840 x 2400 screen (the text is smaller, the pictures are greater) in order to have the same quality for all objects (of course, in the example as I used your files, the pictures can't be better as yours).

I have add two modifications during the curling of page effect :

A first one in order the black part at the bottom isn't above the picture during the effect.

A second one in order we don't see the text on the back but we see it in front.

With this hight definition, it's possible to work with an old 32 Mb graphic card (mine is 64Mb). There are never more than 18.5Mb in the memory (even with greater pictures) and there are never more than 15Mb of pictures to calculate and a little more than 1Mb for the screen picture for a 1024 x 768 screen. Most of the graphic cards are abble to do these calculations. The template is here. The calculations are in a gif file (Explanations.gif).

Note : The file which made a black screen, works if I add at the beginning two views of 0.7 seconds each before the main view as I do in the template above.

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thanks very much, and also for the very clear table and explanation! That works very, very well and on older graphics cards as well so it's good to know that it can be accomplished.

You've put much work into this - and I thank you. The very clever way of keeping the shadows with text scrolling into them at top and bottom is a much better solution I think than my partial transparency method and the removal of text from the back during the unrolling of the scroll is a much more realistic effect.

I would invite all who are interested in this effect to download JPD's PTE and examine the results which are greatly improved over my original. The text scrolls seamlessly into and from the shadows of the roll and the back or the unrolling scroll shows no vestiges of text bleed through. This is a very professional result!

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, I have done a new PTE file with your files, but after resized all the pictures in order all are at 100% on a 3840 x 2400 screen (the text is smaller, the pictures are greater) in order to have the same quality for all objects (of course, in the example as I used your files, the pictures can't be better as yours).

I have add two modifications during the curling of page effect :

A first one in order the black part at the bottom isn't above the picture during the effect.

A second one in order we don't see the text on the back but we see it in front.

With this hight definition, it's possible to work with an old 32 Mb graphic card (mine is 64Mb). There are never more than 18.5Mb in the memory (even with greater pictures) and there are never more than 15Mb of pictures to calculate and a little more than 1Mb for the screen picture for a 1024 x 768 screen. Most of the graphic cards are abble to do these calculations. The template is here. The calculations are in a gif file (Explanations.gif).

Note : The file which made a black screen, works if I add at the beginning two views of 0.7 seconds each before the main view as I do in the template above.

Hi Jeff,

You have to play the "preview" to see it unroll because:

The scroll unrolling is done with the transition "Curling of Page - Unroll from the Top" set with a 5% radius. . The time is set for 3 seconds. Check the transition in Customize Slide.

It works because the background is black so you can't see anything other than the scroll itself unrolling even though the black background is also doing the same. Also you must leave the "back" natural rather than change the color.

By the way, the link is now updated so that the scroll2.png has semi-transparency under the shadow.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Just kicking myself because after I posted the query regarding the scrolling and turned my computer off, I suddenly realised how you had done it. When I look at it again, I realise what a very impressive effect you have obtained from such a simple collection of objects. Very impressed and thanks for your help. This is one effect I will certainly use.

Best regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! And do look at JPD's version of this as well, especially if you want to avoid the text on the back of the unrolling scroll.

To simplify the explanation of what he did to avoid this, it's done by breaking the text into segments which are linked to a "parent" so that their action is simultaneous, but by breaking it into short paragraphs two important things are accomplished. First it will not bog down a 32 meg video environment and secondly the timing of their introduction is such that the unrolling with no text on the back of the scroll has happened just prior to the appearance of the text on the front which is sequentially introduced as the scroll unrolls. By doing this with a couple other slight of hand tricks he avoids the issues of trying to reproduce the back as a secondary overlay while still giving a perfect illusion of the unroll sans text on the back. It works very well but might be a bit austere for a novice to either understand or try to duplicate with other text, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Just kicking myself because after I posted the query regarding the scrolling and turned my computer off, I suddenly realised how you had done it. When I look at it again, I realise what a very impressive effect you have obtained from such a simple collection of objects. Very impressed and thanks for your help. This is one effect I will certainly use.

Best regards

Jeff

Hi Sylvia,

I honestly don't remember which font and size I used, but you can use any font just so the text fits in the space of about 800 pixel width.

My original text was very large as was the PNG file which was simply reduced with PTE's zoom to fit inside the scroll. As JPD has shown, it works much better to use smaller PNG files which you create and link together with a parent/child relationship using a rectangle as the parent. Then the first four paragraphs are introduced one at a time in sequence to avoid having the text appear on the back of the scroll as it unrolls.

When I created the text, I used the layers in Photoshop to place a drop shadow, bevel and contour on them to get a dimensional effect.

I have created a simplified version of JPD's sample which you may want to download and examine. It removes the text from the back of the scroll but doesn't correct the black from showing on the bottom of the scroll as it unfolds, but most everything is done with a single animation slide frame - only the ending white background occupies a separate slide.

Here's a link:

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/scrollbetterpte.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Jean Pierre.

Thanks for your Scroll-2jpg.pte.

Please do you inform to me what font , size do you use.?I like me to work something similar with my own legend

Sorry for my english.

Silvia

Hi! Lin,

I have been playing with The scroll produced by yourself and Panos, I hope you don't mind.

I have included my effort below as a zip, please have a look and give your pointers.

Tom.

Sorry, Forum won't accept attachments at the moment, I will try again later.