WnSoft Forums

Advanved "autorun.inf" maker

boxig

Hi all,

Since I'm out of ideas as for new utilitys, I set to improve some of my old stuff. So here is version 3 of my "Autorun.inf Maker".

What's new

========

Now when user right-click on the drive icon where the CD is located, he will see some new lines on the menu:

Autoplay

Readme

Web site

Introduction

The first one to play the show.

The second to read your Readme.txt

The third to go to your web site.

The last to see another exe with whatever you put in it, can be a bussiness card or whatever.

All this will give your autorun more professional look.

Here is what user will see in right-click (without the red dots):

Screen Shot

This version is only on my web site 522 kb in zip.

Look for program No. 9.

To remind you - there are all my Photo albums and 70 programs and utility, most of them free.

Thanks

Granot

When your hot your hot. Boxig, I can't begin to keep up even trying all your great work. But I still dl and eventually try most. Thanks for the continued offerings.

Just a thought now - As you are looking for ideas - What about combining two of your recent utilities: 1. The utility that offers a front end to run from CD or Harddrive - with - 2. The utility that installs, runs, uninstalls from viewers harddrive.

Robert

That's what I want to do, combining utilities. But I have small problem - my memory. I forgot which one do what and have to check the whole project to recall how (and I'm not joking, I'm from those who forget what they are talking about in the middle of the sentence). If you can tell me the names of the two, I will do it. I get very few feedbacks, bug reports or improvement suggestions so there is no real incentive.

I'll be waiting, and thanks,

Granot

• 2 weeks later...
That's what I want to do, combining utilities.

Hi Granot, Hi to all.

AutoCD – CDStartup – PresentationList –SearchCD – TempCD

Which one of these utilities to burn CD with our PTE presentations? That’s the question.

First of all, the best way to read a PTE show from a CD, is to copy it on the HD.

After testing on different machines synchronized in timeline/or not presentations, that is my conclusion: I had more or less important problems reading presentation from CD, even the synched in time line ones. No problem at all when reading synched shows from HD of different machines. As far as reading not synched shows from HD is concerned, all of us know the rule is: the faster a computer is, the better is.

I therefore think the best utility for burning a CD with a PTE presentation is TempCD, as it automatically installs/uninstalls the show to the HD.

Maybe we have many PTE shows (exe) and other files to burn a CD with. In this case I think we need SearchCD. So, a first step is trying to combine TempCD and SearchCD. No more need , I believe, to put RUN/INSTALL buttons on SearchCD: just PLAY.

In SearchCD I particularly like the “About Presentation” page which I wish to be maintained.

Professionals working with PTE certainly enjoy PresentationList: they can add a logo,

their web and e-mail addresses; or maybe they like the simplicity of CDStartup.

I don’t know if it is possible, but a program combining TempCD, SearchCD, PresentationList,

having the simplicity of Cdstartup and the “browse CD” possibility of AutoCD (but is it necessary?) would be a very great program. What do you think about?

Any suggestions from smb else?

Anyway, thank you very, very much for all your are doing for us.

Hi Sam, Robert and all members,

Thank you very much for your overview about these 5 CD utilities. You are right, and as Robert said, we have to see what is the best way to combine utilities.

At general, I think small and "one purpose" utility is better since each member has different needs. But if we can find common needs, we can try and do it. To follow your suggestion I made a beta version of "SearchCD" with the main feature of "TempCD" - which means, after you install any presentation you can "Run from Hard Drive" and also "Uninstall".

The first new button will open the browse and you can choose from those shows you have installed (or any other exe if you like) which one to run.

A second option I added is to Uninstall presentation. This second new button will open the browse and you can choose from those shows you have installed (or any other exe if you like) which one to delete.

I hope most members now knows that running the show from the HD is always better than from the CD. "TempCD" is a very useful utility in case you have one show only. It delete the show from HD after use, and it's all done without user knowing.

In this new beta version of "SearchCD" the show remains on the users HD (unless he delete it) and member should tell user why is better to install and run from HD.

So this is first step in combining utilities. I hope other members will give their suggestion and needs so I can improve all utilities.

I uploaded this new version in a separate file and I will be waiting for your comments and last OK if it works as it should, and then I'll replace the old version with the new. I can't relay only on my tests since I have all files and have to be sure it works on other computers from a CD.

When using the "Uninstall" button of the new version of "SearchCD" it will first change atributes of the exe selected since files copied from CD are usually "Readonly" files which sometimes can make problem in deleting. So now in the new version "Hidden" and "Readonly" files should be deleted too.

You can find this improved beta version at the bottom of this page:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/SearcCD.html

I also made a "Compare" page where you can compare between all nine CD utilities and choose the one that fits you most. Here:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/Compare.html

Thanks

Granot