WnSoft Forums

New Show 10 Years Ago, Spring 1997

cagney123

Just posted a new show made up of old snapshots. I've always had a hard time getting a real feeling for a place with snapshots, so I thought I'd try putting together a PTE show just made up of these little photos from the past. Suddenly I found the old pictures were more enjoyable than I thought. PTE is just a wonderful program.

The two versions are identical except for how they are displayed. I hope you find them of interest.

All the best,

Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

Thanks for posting the show - it's amazing how sharp the images are, particularly considering they are from scanned snapshots!

This brought back some fine memories for me - my wife and I drove through that area on our honeymoon 42 years ago, and we actually bought gas from some of those old pumps. Of course, since we didn't know the area, we didn't see some of the highlights you showed in your presentation. (and, of course, we had other things on our mind! :blink: )

I have one observation - more for the benefit of Igor in the design of v.5: when I view the wide-screen show at my monitor's maximum resolution (1680x1050) there are annoying light-coloured lines along the left hand side and the top of most images (except where zooming in or out on an image larger than the screen area.) The attached image illustrates this. Everything is fine when I reset the monitor to 1280x768.

post-215-1175273824_thumb.jpg

Perhaps an underlying blackslide, slightly larger than the main image, would resolve this, but it should also be easy to correct it in the design of PTE.

Please excuse the technical talk - overall, Jeff, it didn't really detract from your fine show! :)

Hi Al. Happy to hear you have 42 years under your belt. Obviously you guys made good choices.

Sorry to hear about the annoying lines. I will try to duplicate them at home and see what I can do. Maybe try the 4:3 version and see what you get with that. I have one monitor that can do 1600x1200...maybe I'll see something on that. The 16:9 looks fine on my laptop, just not full screen when it should be...and of course it looks great on my 32 inch wide screen. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment on the show. I appreciate it.

Until that time...

Jeff

Hello Again....I tried 1600x1200, both versions...no problem. I tried 1920x1080...no problem. Tried any other resolution on my higher end monitor and just couldn't get it to guff up. I guess I'm not able to duplicate the problem, so I'll leave it to the powers that be. I am amazed at how well the program works with so many variables.

Hope Al and Igor can figure what gives, or what I'm doing wrong?

Salute to Igor for a wonderful program.

Jeff

I reduced the resolution to 1440x900, and everything is fine. It only shows up at the maximum monitor res of 1680x1050 for some reason, but that's the resolution I use most of the time - I know what you're thinking (and I'll admit it - my eyes are gradually deteriorating, and I'll soon have to switch to a smaller resolution!) :rolleyes:

Thanks for working on the problem. Actually, I think your eyes must be pretty good. I'll see if my monitor has the resolution you had a problem with and see if I can get it to glitch. You and your wife have a great weekend.

Jeff

Jeff, I really enjoyed this show too. And as you told me about my "Feedin' the Beef" show, your show now has returned the favor of making me want to immediately get "out there" again right pronto! It is always a temptation this time of year to head anywhere into south-east Utah, and obviously into your neighboring Colorado.

Like Al, I was pleasantly surprised that your quality from scanned prints appears ever-so-good as your more recent photography. Also, thanks for pointing out how much more enjoyment we can find via PTE vs. some of our 4x6 prints. As you described in your Author's Notes on Beechbrook, I too have in the past shot roll after roll of great shots of mountains and desert and red-rock country - only to have little interest in the standard 4x6 prints. I remember looking at such prints in photo albums and thinking "ok, so you were there". But that was about the extent of my reaction to my own shots. PTE, on a 19" screen brings more life and reality into a scene than most prints under 20x30!

Thanks for sharing your show instead of mailing me the prints. :)