WnSoft Forums

SCSI & Firewire requirements

LumenLux

My latest problem/challenge has developed out of the earlier threads on DVD, SVCD, PTE in videos and video segments in PTE etc.

I recently purchased an Adaptec Fire Connect 4300 card to get digital video into the system. (The card works fine, Ken, on the XP pc.) On my Win98 SE machine the card will work in PCI slot #3 but will not work in PCI slot #5 - which is really the only slot I have available. When I put the Firewire card in slot 5, it is seen in device manager as functioning properly, but the camera does not show up as an imaging device (as it needs to.) I think that the Adaptec Firewire card needs to be in a slot that uses an unshared IRQ. As best I understand, my slot 3 is unshared but slot 5 is shared IRQ and therefor won't do.

If I put the Firewire card in slot 3, I have to move my SCSI adapter card from slot 3 to slot 5. Then the firewire card works but the SCSI card no longer works for my burner and two scanners. My specific question is, does my SCSI card also require a slot with unshared IRQ? Or should I be able to make the SCSI card run in slot 5 which would then allow me to run the Firewire in slot 3? Or which shell has the pea under it?

I have seen similar problems with sound cards. They will show up in device manager just fine but will either not produce any sound or the sound is very distorted. The way I fix the problem is go boot into the BIOS, select the option to do a BIOS reset, then save and exit. I'm not sure if this will help your problem but it's worth a try.