WnSoft Forums

Useful PTE utility

LumenLux

Granot, I just thought of a great idea for your utilitarian talent!

You have a nifty little utility named All Pte, which finds and lists all the .pte files on a pc. I think it would be very useful to many of us if you did something similar that would find all the PTE compiled shows. That is all the EXE files that are actually the PTE Shows. What I need is a way to find all the PTE shows and distinguish them from all other .exe files. Maybe there is already a way to accomplish this with Explorer or other utility that exists but I am not using? My idea for you would to build a little search & organize utility to find only the PTE .EXE files. Perhaps you could make the search based first on the icon (if it is the old or new default PTE icon) and then secondly on some header info or something inside the exe files? Maybe if it is soley icon based search, then it would have to involve a "learning" module that would first find all exe files and then have the user check off the NON PTE icons so the utility would remember and EXclude them on on subsequent uses of the program. I don't know, but I am sure there are several of our friends here in the forum that could tell us what might be possible. What do you think?

Yes, David, I always do this, but Robert also have a point, if you have customers you probably have a folder for each one and keep things there. So you can keep in "Templates" folder too, but then you will spend a lot of space.

So how about this for first step:

A small program which will search, at your choice, all exe or all pte (or all whatever), then create a text file with all files found with their full path ?

As for step 2...humm...... any suggestions ?

Thanks Robert, I think you'll have your utility in no time (lucky I am uneployed, time is no problem. Does anyone needs a gide to Thailand ?).

Granot

Granot,

How would you define exe slideshows from other exe programs?

I've just done a search for exe files on my system and there were over a 1,000, and trying to find slideshows in the list is quite a task. Finding and listing PTE's should be no problem.

David (UK)

David,

You are right. Only if all members will follow some fixed rules (as Robert suggested, like a certain character in the beginning of slideshoe name) then it's dtill can be made but I don't see any use of it anyway.

Robert,

This is not what you wanted but here I made a small utility for you (and others who will find it useful). It is called "FilesList Creator" and you can download from my site.

This will let you search for any type of file you want, will show you all the files, let you know how many, and if you want, you can make a list in TXT by click on button.

Let me know what you think of it.

Granot