WnSoft Forums

Make "P2E Shows" listing in menus

think(box)

Bob, Granot, David and all, this is in response to another topic where Bob (LumenLux) made the request:

Do you want to figure out what .exe files are P2E shows (and not other applications) on your hard drives and list them all for easy access?

A little "think outside the box" anyone?

If you make a database of strings found in all .exe files on your system, and separate those unique to P2E shows, then you have found a string that can be used to search *.exe (all .exe files) to find P2E shows. There is a string that is 99% unique that will find 100% of P2E .exe files and only 1% of any other .exe files. Not many in the world are likely to have database software to do this, or know how to use it, so I have saved you the trouble!

That elusive string is "timesetevent"

SYSTEM-WIDE P2E SHOW LISTINGS WITH UPDATE - INSTRUCTIONS:

Most of this procedure has to be done only once. There are only a few steps needed to update or change what drive or drives you list. I suggest that you print this topic for handy reference before proceeding. Do this by RIGHT-mouse clicking within topic text, and select "Print".

Here is how to find all P2E shows in Win95, Win98, Win98SE (probably for WinME too; XP procedure is in next section):

Press/hold the "Windows" keyboard key (flag graphic, between Ctrl and Alt keys) and then "F" key to get a "Find Files" window. Or start "Find Files" in your favorite manner.

1. Make "Find files" window full-screen sized by clicking middle of three top-right window graphics.

2. In the "Name & location" tab, in the "Named" text window type these characters: *.exe

3. In the "Containing text" text window type these characters without any spaces: timesetevent

4. In the "Look in" text window click the little down-arrow box at right and select hard drive letter(s) to search.

5. Click "Find now" button and in a very short time you will have a list of all P2E shows and locations.

6. You may open any show from this view by clicking or double-clicking, depending upon how you have windows set to operate (default is double-click to open as Windows is originally).

7. Although you can't save the list of shows to a hard-drive text file you can save this search for instant, click-to-open show access at any time from your desktop, or even from menus, as follows:

Start after step 5 above, doing the following additional steps.

6. In "Find files" window click "Options" menu and "Save results" if it doesn't have check-mark next to it already.

7. In "File" menu click "Save Search".

This will place a find files shortcut on your desktop that you may open at any time to see show list and open a show. Be sure to make the view full-screen as before to be able to see all of the shows listed. There is no need to "Find now" again unless you have changed what shows are on the hard drive.

8. If you want to rename the find files shortcut to a better name it is best to not do this because it is special and is best left alone. Instead create a shortcut that you can name as you please and move freely to menus and other places. Create this shortcut by right-mouse clicking on the find files desktop shortcut and then select "Create Shortcut". A standard shortcut will appear on your desktop.

9. Right-mouse click the standard shortcut and select "Rename". Type a name like "P2E Shows" and press enter.

10. If you want to change from the boring icon to your own, RIGHT-mouse click on the standard shortcut and select "Properties". Then click "Change Icon" and browse for your own. Ok all of the windows.

11. To place in Programs menu, RIGHT-mouse drag the new standard shortcut to the Start button and hold it there for a few seconds, but don't let go of right mouse button yet. The Start menu will appear. Continue to drag the shortcut up to the "Programs" menu and then drag it to where you want it to be in the menu. Now let go of the RIGHT mouse button and select "Move Here". This will move the new, standard shortcut from your desktop to where you want it in the Programs menu or any sub-menu. You can even put it in the top section of the Start menu.

12. From now on you have it easy! You don't need to do earlier steps over again. If you know you've added shows or removed shows and want to update, just click P2E Shows (or your name for it) in the menus and when it opens, click "Find now". Wait for search to complete and then do the following:

1. Minimize the "Find files" window.

2. Locate the "Files named..." special shortcut on your desktop. RIGHT-mouse click it and select "Delete" and click "OK".

3. Restore or maximize the "Find files" window minimized in step 1 and in the "File" menu select "Save Search".

Now your list is updated. When you click menu "P2E Shows" later on you will see the updated list. You can even change what hard drives, including ALL of them, that you want when you update.

Here is how to find all P2E shows in WinXP (not sure about WinME):

The "Search results" feature is WinXP's name for "Find files". Sorry, but Microsoft made it incapable of searching for more than a single character in .exe files, so you can't use "Search results" (Find Files) feature. Microsoft hasn't left you totally in the cold though. The following works, just not as nicely as in earlier versions of Windows:

1. Get a command prompt window by clicking Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt

2. Click on the "full-screen" button to make command prompt window larger (taller)

3. Type the following and press enter: cd \

That is the letters "cd", then a space, then a "backslash", not forward slash.

4. Type the following exactly this way and press enter: findstr /S /I /M "timesetevent" d:\*.exe

Note that there is a space between slash-letters, and that "d:" is where you enter the drive letter you want to search.

5. In a very short time you will have a list of all P2E shows and locations, but you can't click on them to open.

6. Next either enter the drive letter, folder path and P2E file name exactly as you see one of them and press enter to run show, or open a Windows Explorer and navigate to the location so you can double-click to open the show, or you can make a printable list of the shows as follows, in a file:

7. For list file: Type the following and press enter: findstr /S /I /M "timesetevent" d:\*.exe > c:\shows.txt

where c:\shows.txt is the list text filename and location where you want it to be created.

8. Find the shows.txt file in Windows Explorer, double-click to open, and view or print for reference.

9. Repeat this procedure from step 7 for each drive that you want to have in a (separate) list file.

10. Repeat entire procedure to update at a later date.

For all versions of windows, a general note:

Do keep in mind that there will be a few non-P2E shows listed. You can usually recognize that they are not show files by their name and ignore them.

Cheers!

Thanks Bill for the most detailed instructions. I hope you will expand your explanation since most members want to learn. The "timesetevent" mentioned is to be found in some multimedia programs like PTE which use Synchronization. Each of us probably have one or two exe's like this but there are few, as Bill said, just in case someone wonder what is this mysterious "timesetevent".

Anyway, I already made that utility which will create a text file with all files, so using two metods will be sufficient.

As you know I'm looking for more stuff for a more profound tutorial and it will be great if you send me some html pages about all those topics you write.

Granot

:( I just did the search, and found a whole bunch of exe files (including my sound volume control!) that seem to match the search criteria! Too many in fact to be an effective way to sort out picturestoexe created files.

Am running WinME (yes.... I know, I know.... don't laugh!) :)

Brian

Hello Brian,

You are getting a response similar to that of WinXP - all .exe files found when this shouldn't happen. From your findings WinME and WinXP are in a class by themselves, it appears, in that they do not work correctly while earlier versions of Windows are fine. Did you try the XP instructions on your ME machine? If you can confirm that ME works just like XP then I'll edit the topic post to say so. Thanks!

And to Granot,

Your All_files utility is REALLY NICE! I know I will have many uses for it - thank you!

In the Windows-app procedure method that I described you are able to distinguish between P2E .exe files and others (98 to 99% accuracy) and have an instant menu-based listing of P2E shows alone for easy opening (non-XP/ME only for menu-based open). If you set the Find files window to "Large Icons" before you do "Save Search" ("View" menu, click "Large Icons") then you get a view of dozens of shows per scrolled screenful, all with their full-sized icons next to show name. The access to shows is fantastic!

While I have 1,500 non-P2E program files on drive C:, for example, if I have only 100 P2E .EXE files I can't find the P2E .exe files with All_files because they are way out-numbered by non-P2E files.

Could you make your All_files utility optionally narrow-down a listing of .exe type files by the same string-search method I used, or perhaps a 100% accurate method? This would make a .exe list that is 98% or even 100% P2E shows only. A view of the .exe file icon would be a great addition to the display. Thanks!

Cheers!

From around the world, far and near, the answers appear. Who says there could ever be an energy shortage? Thank you Granot & Bill. ("boxig" and "think(box)" hmm . . .)

Before anything else, let me suggest that many members should try the Find procedure detailed by Bill. It looks lengthy and complicated only because Bill, you write such complete, clear, step by step instructions. Really, thank you.

In response to my original post for such a "utility" , David succinctly pointed out that it is simple to just keep all the shows in one folder. Obviously that is true if you don't have reasons to need additional locations. In my case there are many times I need multiple versions of shows in progress or "testing" as a method of learning how to better use PTE etc. So, for me your help is on the Mark. And David, your observation also reminds me that I could probably try a little harder to be consistant when there is no redeeming value to be otherwise. :)

Now stat-man, Bill - here is what your method did for me:

Found 983 of *.exe containing timesetevent

Of which 35 are not PTE shows

(This 3.5% were indeed easy to recognize, often just by the folders they are in. The 35 included

several Flash, several WN98, and several PTE Setup instances.)

The 948 real PTE.exe shows are contained in 103 folders.

Of the 948 shows, there are several shows with multiple identical files in addtion to the different versions of a particular wip show.

So you can see, the procedure is a good one to help me clean up and "do better in the future."

Now, how did you determine to use "timesetevent"? I think the whole procedure you came up with is pretty close to what I was thinking but I certainly did not know how to do it. Thanks again. And it will be interesting to see if something more comes of the mounting collaboration of the two "out of the box" thinkers.

You're welcome Bob! I have edited my first reply post to help on this topic and see if Granot can make it possible for ME/XP and all users to see similar listings using his All_files utility.

The database method is to catalog all strings and sort by incidence or source. In this manner you could search millions of documents or other items by contents instantly (because searches are in the relatively small catalog and not in millions of files). Or you could do something else like I did.

By the way, as an OS function XP can catalog searches just as I've described, only not for .exe files. XP may be obnoxious in some ways, but it is quite advanced in others.

Glad to hear it helps! I had a similar finding of duplicates, some expected because they are work in progress, some not expected and indicating that housecleaning is needed....

Cheers!

Guest guru

Bill, your "timesetevent" search tip is really very clever and useful.

But on my Win 2000 I cannot use the first method you indicate, because I can find all the PTE *.EXE file, but "Save search" creates a *.fnd file, that contains only the search criteria, NOT the search results.

Your Dos method sure works very well. Nevertheless, since I have all forum members presentations listed under the creator's nickname, I get a list with strings like this:

H:\PTE shows\forum members\LumenLux\Faces.exe

Such a list is useful but not very convenient. Of course, I can search for "lumenlux" or (if I remember a word of the title) "faces".

So I found another method that can be interesting in some cases.

Make your search with Start > "Find file" (*.exe and timesetevent, like thinkbox said), then:

- 1. Click on Edit > Select all (this selects the file names, not paths)

- 2. By right mouse button, select "Create shortcut". A warning message appears, that notifies it's impossible to create a shortcut there, and asks if we want to create a shortcut on the desktop. Click "Yes".

- 3. Don't look at your desktop now! You could get scared... Open the folder "Desktop", that in Win 2000 (and XP too, I guess - I did never use it) you can find it in C:\Documents and Settings\<logged user>.

In "Desktop" folder you'll find tens, or hundreds of "Shortcuts to...", in alphabetical order. Holding down the Caps key, click on the first and the last one to select all these shortcuts.

- 4. Now select Edit > Cut. Create a new folder on the desktop (or where you prefer), open it and click on Edit > Paste.

You'll have now a folder with all your shortcut to PTE presentations, alphabetically ordered (but without their paths), and clicking on any of them you'll start it.

Thanks Guido! Here is update for each Windows, & Granot's "Search To File" shareware helps!

You have tested another version of Windows I didn't have available to test, Win2000. If I understand correctly, it looks like the "timesetevent" search actually works in Win2000, but the "saved find" doesn't have the files listed in it. That's unique among Windows versions. Yet your method of selecting all at the step before saving, while files are still listed, even works on Win98. I get the same, "You can't create shortcuts here, but would you like to create them on desktop?" message. You don't need to on 95/98/98SE because the save doesn't stop showing files, but you can use this for any show(s) you want shortcuts on desktop.

Here is the accumulated compatibility listing:

Windows works correctly on "Find files" search all .exe files for "timesetevent": Win95, 98, 98SE, 2000

Incorrect search results found in (Windows goofs): ME, XP

Saved "Find files" results works correctly in: Win95, 98, 98SE

Guido's alternative for desktop shortcuts works in: Win95, 98, 98SE, 2000

NEW! While Win 95, 98, 98SE users are all set, here is a special alternative to get clickable show list in WinME, XP and 2000:

I have tested and found that Granot's "Search To List" utility may help with clickable show names from the text file list that users of WinME, XP and 2000 can make in DOS or Command Prompt window. Granot's shareware "Search To List", unlike his freeware "All_files", can "Load" a text file folder/file list. Just change the file type from .TXT to .LST when you do the "redirection" save to shows.txt in my XP procedure. Do it like this:

This shows changed file type in command: findstr /S /I /M "timesetevent" d:\*.exe > c:\shows.LST

Then in Granot's "Search To List" shareware, do this:

1. Click "Load"

2. Navigate to drive C: and select shows.LST (from now on "Search To List" remembers this)

3. Find a show you want to open, click to select, or double-click to see all of a long name

4. Click button "Open selected file" to run the P2E show

5. If you like it and want to use it please support Granot with the shareware fee!

May I ask that anyone who has made a .txt listing under WinME, XP or 2000 try this method? You can just rename your .TXT file to a .LST file and open in "Search To List" if you've already generated the file. I am especially interested in whether any editing is needed to the file listing to work in Granot's shareware. I think no editing is needed at all. Here is a link to download Granot's shareware and freeware:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/

Cheers,

Bill,

I forgot to mention that you can search "Search To List" using wildcard:

txt;*.exe;*.pte;*

(I made the box big enough for 2 types only but next version I'll make it bigger).

Also to look for part of file name:

xxx;me*txt

will look for all txt files with "me" in the name (xxx can be any unexisting extention).

or:

log;se*txt

will look for all log files and all txt file with "se" in their names.

If you write only one * and choose a folder it will make a list with all files in the folder.

As for .FND files (the saved "find" results), you can make a list of al .fnd files and you have quick and easy access to all previous searches in the windows FIND.

In the future I hope to add a string search.

Granot

Bill,

I uploaded a new version of "Search To List" .

What's new:

Bigger window.

New button for Open saved HTM.

Longer input box for wildcard search.

Can play and stop WAV, MID, MP3 from List.

(with program player not windows player. I found this last feature very useful if making sound files lists (which can contain mixed sound file types, by Drag and Drop).

Minimize to Try option (big gray button).

Copy any file from list to any folder you like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granot