WnSoft Forums

New Adjustor update

alrobin

Just a note for whoever is interested that I have built into "Adjustor" compatibility with a freeware thumbnail program, "Easy Thumbnails" in order to speed up the loading of images in the "Dark-Tables" for those of you who wish to use it to assist in programming large slide shows (up to 400 images).

Previously, loading of images in a large show would take up to 5 minutes or more as the full-size images were used instead of thumbnails.

In the new version of Adjustor, if one selects "Thumbnails", a new folder is automatically created to temporarily store the original images, and thumbnails of these images are then created in the original folder so that the model can use them instead of the original images.

Then, when finished, the original folder is deleted, and the temporary folder with the original images is renamed back to what it was originally, and the script file can then be exported so that it is available to PTE.

Enjoy! :ph34r:

I'm using XP and Excel 2002, and guess what, B) I'm experiencing a few problems running this utility. I haven't been able to get past the instructions headed "Convert images to thumbnails" without getting a script error and the "Create Thumbnails" button disappearing.

I know the utility appears to only know about Excel 97 and 2000 so am I just expecting too much?

Steve

Hi, Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you downloaded the free thumbnail program, "Easy Thumbnails"? It is available as freeware from http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/ .

And, you are correct about only Excel 97 and 2000 as the VBA code used in the model is compatible only with Excel 97 or later.

Meanwhile, I'll try it out on a pc with XP, and make sure I'm not missing something.

I tried to run the "Thumbnail" feature in Win XP, and, sure enough, it stalled on the part where I try to rename an existing folder. I checked the properties of the folder, and found that the "Read-only" attribute has a square marker in it, which I have not been able to change, nor have I found any information on just what it means. I can change it, but it resets itself automatically each time.

So far I have not been able to determine how to change these settings so that the program will proceed as intended. No problems in Win ME, though.

If anyone has a solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.

In the meantime, it looks like those persons with XP who wish to use Adjustor will have to run the "Dark-Table" with the image files at full size. This is no big deal for shows under 100 images in size, but the Dark-Table operations become quite sluggish for shows over that size.

Al,

thanks for the rapid response. I'll persevere with the program as it is until you've worked out how to get round XP's foibles. (BTW does Win2k cause any problems? I know its security settings can be a real pain to fathom).

Besides, it's no problem to create the thumbnails "manually" with Easy Thumbnails and copy the originals out of the way B)

Steve

Steve,

I have pretty well narrowed it down to a problem with XP assuming a file was still opened (which I have fixed by rewriting the code), but there still seems to be a problem in XP with creating the thumbs in "Easy Thumbnails" - I get a strange error message from the thumbnail program, and the thumbs which the log says have been created are not where they are supposed to be.

I have written to Fookes about it, and hope they can suggest something.

I haven't tried Win 2K - maybe someone else will be able to shed some light on it's compatibility.

However, as you say, it is easy to create and manipulate the thumbs separately, outside of PTE and Adjustor.

Now, if Igor were to add all that to PTE .................... B)

Al:

A question regarding the instructoins for importing data into "Adjustor", from notepad:

Import data from "ptesource.xls" and deposit it in "PTE_time_adjustor.xls":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press "Get data" (in column "Q") or use "Control-Shift-G" on the keyboard. This will copy data over from "ptesource.xls" into column "C" (hidden) and also display basic timing data and the names of image files.

When I press Control-Shift-G, I get this error message: "File error: Check for ptesource.xls." Any suggestions? Does this Contorl-Shift-G automatically import the data into "Adjustor" file?

Or, can you tell me where I can find this "Get Data" in column "Q", is this a button or is it found in a menu, I'am not finding it.

XP Pro

Thanks,

Mark

Hi, Mark,

It sounds like the "ptesource.xls" file has not yet been imported into the worksheet.

You first have to "import" it using one of two methods:

"Method 1. "Drag and drop" the PTE file (original ".pte", not the ".exe" file) from MS Explorer or "My Computer" into the open spreadsheet. This will open a new worksheet with the same name as the original PTE file, but with a ".txt" suffix.

Save the new spreadsheet as an Excel file, "ptesource.xls" and leave it open along with the main "Adjustor" spreadsheet. You will have two spreadsheets open at once.

Method 2 (Excel 97 users): Click "Open PTE file" and follow the instructions. ...........

Method 3 (Excel 2000 users): ................etc..............."

(I did not give the file-opening step a "Ctrl-Sh-xxxx" command for this operation as once the file is loaded, executing the command again will result in an error message, and, rightly or wrongly, I wanted to have more control on when it could be executed.)

If none of the above methods work, please let me know. Method 1 is there mainly for odd situations where for some reason, the other two methods do not work. Thanks for the feedback!

Al:

"Drag and drop" the PTE file (original ".pte", not the ".exe" file)

How can you tell which file is which, I can not see an extension or either file type? I think I have the correct one because the other will not load/import on a drag and drop.

When I do this I do not have two different open Excel files, even though there are two in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen, it is apparently just one file.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry you're still having trouble getting going with the Adjustor model. Once you do get it going, though, you'll kick yourself as to how easy it is. I must have opened my version up 50 times today testing out some new improvements.

If there are two spreadsheets showing on the bottom status bar, you should have 2 spreadsheets open, provided you have successfully manipulated through the "Open PTE File" and "Get Data" routines. One should be called "PTE_Time_Adjustor.xls", and the other "ptesource.xls".

Another way in Excel to select which spreadsheet you want to see is to select menu item "Window". From there you can click on each one, one at a time, to open it and view it in a separate window. If you do not see both spreadsheets there, then the data you need has not been successfully loaded.

By the way, for those using XP, I have found a solution which seems to work OK on my version of XP. The updated model can be downloaded from my website at the usual place. The most important thing to remember when using the Thumbnail feature under XP is to give the program time to convert the images before proceeding with any other features, such as "Dark-table", "Restore", etc.

Hope this helps! :)