WnSoft Forums

Video Capture from .exe?

frets3

Hello, all,

I am very happy with the IQ of PTE-generated DVD's on my upconverting Oppo DVD player.

Some terrific slideshows, available in .exe format, would be great to watch on a big-screen TV. Is it possible to capture as AVI, the audio/video of a running, .exe slideshow? Some portable computers will output 1080p through DVI or HDMI ports, but I don't have one yet. <_<

I know that this forum has some genuine "smart guys,"and I would be grateful for any information/suggestions.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

There is, but you may not be entirely happy with the quality. It must be done via a video capture software which captures video and audio from any running program. The "quality" depends greatly on the codec (compress/decompress) algorithm supported. Generally, with the better codecs you can set the frame rate capture and audio quality up to whatever was used in the original production. That is, regardless of how you set audio it can't be "better" than the original, only equal to regardless of the sampling rate. The frame rate of the capture will be limited to 29.97 frames per second for AVI creation which "may" not reproduce some of the very, very smooth animations from a well constructed Executable file which might go as high as 60 frames per second in some cases.

Another issue is that the very fact you have an additional piece of software running (the capture software) in the background can often (probably) deleteriously affect the quality of the production play.

Probably it would be best to start with a "free" version which is still quite powerful such as CamStudio:

http://www.camstudio.org/

Best regards,

Lin

take the svhs + an audio feed from computer to a dvd recorder then output thefeed your big tv

you dont get full screen but as they say something better than nothin' :)

i preview shows all the time to 2 tv's by using the above method -- i have not had the inclination to bring my dvd recorder up to this area -- something would have to go :(

ken

Hi, Lin and Ken,

Thanks for the help!

Lin, the over-worked computer problem makes sense; I remember video card and processor discussions on this subject. None the less, I'll try CamStudio, just in case my computer might have sufficient "headroom".

Ken, My office is stuffed to capacity, too, but I would make room for a DVD recorder if I had one. <_<

Best wishes,

David

go to best buy and see what they are pushing -- see if you can return if it does not meet your needs

i use mine for duping vhs tapes or specific car races -- indy - -usually takes 2 disks even on slp

ken

Thanks, Ken,

Buying a new gadget is so much fun. :P

Best wishes,

David

I'm chiming in here Dave, but - The first DVD recorder I bought had also the VHS player, which is handy for converting family VHS home video (really old) tapes to DVD. What I did not get though was a firewire or usb2.0 input on the DVD recorder. I rationalized I did not need it on the DVD recorder because I can handle that and editing via my pc. I have since made sure that my current DVD recorder does have the jack to take digital video direct from my camcorder. I would recommend that, if you do or ever intend to use a digital camcorder. Currently combo VHS/DVD Recorders are available here at Costco (LiteOn brand $179) and Sams Club (Sony brand $199.)

Bob

good point on the usb and or firewire -- why tie up puter while making a dvd

but i would stay away from a combo -- techies dont like 'em if you need work on them --been there done that :(

ken

I seldom can find anyone to fix anything! And it is a tough "new trick" to learn to throw things away when your whole life you figured if you could not fix it, someone could and would. But now - :lol: