WnSoft Forums

What happened to the AVI File

Hi

I have recently downloaded the new Version 5.0 and find that the AVI File no longer works as it did in Version 4.48.

When I create an AVI File using version 4.48 it plays flawlessly in Windows Media Player. However, when I create the AVI File from Version 5.0 the format, timings and fades are all over the place.

I have always used Nero Vision Express to produce my SVCDs and DVDs by importing the AVI File producing very acceptable results - now, with this new version, it appears that I cannot do that.

What has happened to the AVI File? Is there something I need to do in Version 5.0 that is different to Version 4.48? I notice the change in project options>screen but cannot see anything else that might be the culprit.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Eric,

1) Please try this beta

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/apr-deluxe_nas4.zip (without VideoBuilder)

2) If this special beta didn't help, try temporarily disable option "Use hardware acceleration in Editor and Video" (Main menu | View | Advanced). How it will work now?

Please also let me know:

- What beta version of PicturesToExe you installed?

- Version of Windows

- Video card installed on your PC.

Eric,

1) Please try this beta

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/apr-deluxe_nas4.zip (without VideoBuilder)

2) If this special beta didn't help, try temporarily disable option "Use hardware acceleration in Editor and Video" (Main menu | View | Advanced). How it will work now?

Please also let me know:

- What beta version of PicturesToExe you installed?

- Version of Windows

- Video card installed on your PC.

Hi

I am using the latest (beta 15) and am trying to compare the DVD conversion time and quality between my Nero Vision Express and your VideoBuilder before deciding whether to upgrade.

If I do upgrade to include VideoBuilder I would need to make sure that I can use both methods to produce DVDs mainly because Nero Vision Express appears to be much more comprehensive but takes almost twice the time to complete.

I shall try your suggestion of disabling hardware acceleration and see what happens and also try the version without VideoBuilder and let you know of the results.

If I do upgrade to include VideoBuilder does this mean that when the final release is available I would need to install both versions (ie one with and one without VideoBuilder) to meet my needs?

Eric,

I forgot to ask:

I have always used Nero Vision Express to produce my SVCDs and DVDs by importing the AVI File producing very acceptable results - now, with this new version, it appears that I cannot do that.
What exact problem happens. I don't understand.
When I create an AVI File using version 4.48 it plays flawlessly in Windows Media Player. However, when I create the AVI File from Version 5.0 the format, timings and fades are all over the place.
Please, no need to compare virtual AVI file and rendered AVI file. Synchronization will be perfect when you encode this virtual AVI file to other format.

All current betas of v5.00 already includes VideoBuilder.

Eric,

I forgot to ask:

What exact problem happens. I don't understand.

Please, no need to compare virtual AVI file and rendered AVI file. Synchronization will be perfect when you encode this virtual AVI file to other format.

All current betas of v5.00 already includes VideoBuilder.

As I said in my original post, with PTE Version 4.48, the AVI File can be previewed flawlessly (with correct timings and fades and synchronisation of music etc but of a lower image quality) in Windows Media Player and will also produce an exact rendering on a DVD after the AVI File is imported into Nero Vision Express and a DVD made (and with excellent image quality on my TV).

With Version 5.0 (both Beta 15 and the other one without the VideoBuilder trial option), and despite trying all the various settings, both the AVI File played in Windows Media Player and on a DVD produced from it with Nero Vision Express is totally unacceptable - timings, transitions etc are all over the place and the images flicker very badly in both cases.

I have Windows XP Home Edition, Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Processor, 2 Gb RAM and a nVIdia FX5600 Video Card with 256 Mb RAM. I have had no problems in showing many of the sample shows made with the new version including pans, zooms etc so I don't think it is anything to do with my Hardware.

Eric,

Please try encode this slide show:

"NoResizing" - http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/show/NoResizing.zip (1.5 MB)

If result still bad, send me rendered MPEG2 file (it should be about 15 MB).

I don't understand why it doesn't work, I just burned successfully AVI file in Nero Vision and all is OK.

Try to burn your project in VideoBuilder (Video button in main window, then Create DVD disc).

However, if I use your project file and create AVI, it plays very badly (flickers) in Windows Media Player - if I use your images and use version 4.48 to create an AVI File it plays OK.

I shall experiment with burning DVDs from your file using Nero Vision Express tomorrow.

By the way, my version of Nero is 6, not the latest version 7, but it always worked fine before with PTE 4.48.

Hi

I have received your email and have sent the Nero video files by email.

The DVD I burned from your AVI File seems OK but with only three images and no sound it is hard to tell whether I have a problem or not. I shall have to do more tests.

No doubt you will let me know what you find with regard to my Video Files produced using Nero Vision Express.

Eric

Maybe problem in Nero Vision in this particular case? Although I successfully burned AVI with Nero Vision. But if you could create normal DVD from AVI in VideoBuilder it means that it works.

Hi

I reworked my image files in CS2 making sure that they were all saved in exactly the same size, colour space and compression value. The AVI File still flickers badly when played (unlike in Version 4.48) but this time the DVD was OK when Nero Vision Express was used. I can only assume that there are some differences in the AVI Files produced from Version 4.48 and Version 5.

However, as you stated earlier, the playing quality of the virtual AVI File is of no real consequence so long as the DVD is correctly displayed.

Thanks for your patience in this matter.

Hi

Yes, DVDs using VideoBuilder are fine and are much easier to produce than using Nero.

The DVDs from the AVI File using Nero Vision Express are also OK for quality but I am having problems with the format settings in PTE Version 5.0 (different from 4.48) and Nero to get my images to fill my 16:9 TV screen. This is probably more to do with Nero than PTE.

Hi Ken

Yes I did, but it was a while ago and as I recall it didn't fill the screen on my TV although it was in the correct format.

I notice that the screen options in PTE V 5.0 are somewhat different to V 4.48 - this had an option to "fit to screen - enlarge images to fit to screen", missing in V 5.0. Not sure now whether that had any effect when using Nero.

I do find Nero Vision Express Version 3 very slow for DVDs but fine for SVCDs - the lead in and out seems to take for ever on DVD and my write speed of 2x is pedestrian to modern standards.

SEE

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6776

DEPENDS on disc/burner combo but i can vary my speeds in some cases depending what burner software combination i am using at the time -- not necessarily p2e stuff

nero vision uses pretty well all my resources when encoding

clonedvd2 and vb +- 50 %

frustrating but things do get done

think it is in the firmware of the burners mine are 3-4 yrs old and firmare is no longer avail.

i have spindles that say 16x but am lucky if i get 4x out of them

ken

Silly me; I have been using DVD-RW for testing and my DVD Burner only writes at 2X for these. It will write at 4X with DVD-R and 8X with DVD+R but as my Panasonic DVD Player prefers their DVD- format I stick with those.

I did some tests with an 11 minute sequence (very simple evenly spaced fades and background music) - Nero took 65 mins to transcode and 6 minutes to burn the DVD; VideoBuilder took 23 minutes to encode and a further 20 minutes to burn (according to the Nero logs and info displayed in VideoBuilder as it progressed). VideoBuilder is simpler to use and gave the correct full screen 16:9 display and is faster overall than Nero using the same DVD-RWs, but it has far fewer options.