WnSoft Forums

The "Invisible Menu"

A question from a forum member prompted me to write this brief reminder. If you have the need to automate running several of your slideshows sequentially from a CD or from the computer in a sequence without intervention from the user you probably realize that this can be done by simply setting the last slide in each show to run the next program in sort of a "daisy chain" sequence, but what if you would like to do this without having each executable be encumbered with a code which runs some other file? Perhaps you would like to use these executable files without having to modify each to fit a particular purpose or one-time use??

The use the "invisible menu".

This is easily done by taking advantage of the fact that PicturesToExe can make any object or slide invisible by setting the opacity to zero. So how can this be used to create the scenario above? Just create a brief executable file containing a few "invisible" slides (set opacity to zero). Set the time to a couple seconds or so for each invisible slide, set the effect to "quick, no transition," and set the slides to run an external progam which would be the slidshows you wish to sequence, etc.

This "invisible menu" then runs the first invisible slide, executes the desired program, returns invisibly and runs the second invisible slide which in turn calls the next desired program, etc. Thus you have circumvented modifying each slideshow with a slide which calls another show and eliminate the need to make changes to several slideshows.

Lots of possibilities here folks!

Best regards,

Lin

• 3 weeks later...

Lin

That is fantastic, now will this rune as a DVD. What I am asking is, if I setup a few slides and save as an exe file and then using video builder create a DVD with a number of other exe files added will the process then run through the first file and call up all other files? I know that you may say, try it and find out, but I thought I would just ask the question.

I doubt there is any way to make it work with DVD because running an executable file is contingent upon having a computer to "interpret" the "execute" command.

Since DVD players only understand a limited command structure such as what is programmed into your remote control, interpreting a command unique to the DOS/Windows operating system is outside their venue. Perhaps some day DVD players will have a "mini-operating system" compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, etc., but probably the demand for this type thing will have to be sufficient to persuade the manufacturers of its worth before that will happen.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

That is fantastic, now will this rune as a DVD. What I am asking is, if I setup a few slides and save as an exe file and then using video builder create a DVD with a number of other exe files added will the process then run through the first file and call up all other files? I know that you may say, try it and find out, but I thought I would just ask the question.

• 2 months later...
A question from a forum member prompted me to write this brief reminder. If you have the need to automate running several of your slideshows sequentially from a CD or from the computer in a sequence without intervention from the user you probably realize that this can be done by simply setting the last slide in each show to run the next program in sort of a "daisy chain" sequence, but what if you would like to do this without having each executable be encumbered with a code which runs some other file? Perhaps you would like to use these executable files without having to modify each to fit a particular purpose or one-time use??

The use the "invisible menu".

This is easily done by taking advantage of the fact that PicturesToExe can make any object or slide invisible by setting the opacity to zero. So how can this be used to create the scenario above? Just create a brief executable file containing a few "invisible" slides (set opacity to zero). Set the time to a couple seconds or so for each invisible slide, set the effect to "quick, no transition," and set the slides to run an external progam which would be the slidshows you wish to sequence, etc.

This "invisible menu" then runs the first invisible slide, executes the desired program, returns invisibly and runs the second invisible slide which in turn calls the next desired program, etc. Thus you have circumvented modifying each slideshow with a slide which calls another show and eliminate the need to make changes to several slideshows.

Lots of possibilities here folks!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Sorry to be a bit thick, but how do I get the opacity to zero in pxe?

TonyC

Hi Tony,

Probably a good idea to download and read the PTE User Guide at the top of this forum.

To get zero opacity you simply go to the Objects and Animations screen, highlight the object you wish to make zero opacity then click on the animations tab and type in a zero for the opacity number.

If you do this with the first keypoint highlighted the opacity will stay at zero for that object. If you want to change the opacity somewhere later but keep opacity at 100% before that time, it will take an additional keypoint to hold the 100% opacity and a third to change it from that keypoint time to zero.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Sorry to be a bit thick, but how do I get the opacity to zero in pxe?

TonyC

Hi Tony,

Probably a good idea to download and read the PTE User Guide at the top of this forum.

To get zero opacity you simply go to the Objects and Animations screen, highlight the object you wish to make zero opacity then click on the animations tab and type in a zero for the opacity number.

If you do this with the first keypoint highlighted the opacity will stay at zero for that object. If you want to change the opacity somewhere later but keep opacity at 100% before that time, it will take an additional keypoint to hold the 100% opacity and a third to change it from that keypoint time to zero.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at that and read the manual!!!!

All the best

TonyC