WnSoft Forums

The Albert Memorial

Paul T

A grand stunning memorial in London that seems to get little coverage. I was amazed the lack of visitors it seems to attract, bearing in mind this was late May this year and as can be seen from the presentation how very few people where around. Although it was never my intention to make it a slide show of this subject I felt this was a way of presenting it to those who have not seen it in all it’s magnificent splender. The vertical pan was created by the use of four images merged together to make a long narrow shot. The presentation is a 16:10 image ratio Always interested in any views or comments.

Regards Paul

A grand stunning memorial in London......

Well done Paul. I think I will have to visit this one. The photography was excellent and the 16:9 aspect looked very good on my wide screen monitor. I could not see the 'joins' on the vertical pan!!

I would have liked a brief explanation of the history of the memorial in a voice over. ? version 2!

Cheers

Boogie

Well done Paul. I think I will have to visit this one. The photography was excellent and the 16:9 aspect looked very good on my wide screen monitor. I could not see the 'joins' on the vertical pan!!

I would have liked a brief explanation of the history of the memorial in a voice over. ? version 2!

Cheers

Boogie

Thanks for the comments Boogie. I am collating infomation regarding the history of the memeorial

and will attempt to produce a version 2 in the future with a voice over.

Paul,

Thanks, very interesting AV show!

I would like only say that on some images too large (3600x2200) and zooming will look better on more small images. Extrat large images on small values of Zoom parameter (100% for example) cause some kind of shimmering on sharp details of a picture.

Also I found small visual bug in PTE when I explored speed settings of objects in your slide show. We'll fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul, I finally got to view your "Albert Memorial" AV. Better late than never.

Your chose of music to accompany the images, (Jeremiah Clarkes Trumpet Voluntary), was excellent.

I had heard of the Albert Memorial but knew nothing more about it than why it was built. After seeing your show I was inspired to learn more and searched the WEB and found a lot of interesting information, thanks for opening my eyes on this subject. It's now on my list of "must-see" if/when I visit London.

Your show conveyed the majesty and eminence size of the memorial, particularly the seamless vertical pan. The length of the show was good as it left me wanting to see more of your excellent images. I'm waiting for the version 2 with a voice over.

I found the colour and particular the tones in the colours striking, I have found this in your other shows, particularly the one on the London Eye. Do you do much work on this in Photoshop? Do you put this down to the equipment you use? If so what do you shot with, particularly the lenses?

Thanks again Paul. :)

Paul, I finally got to view your "Albert Memorial" AV. Better late than never.

Your chose of music to accompany the images, (Jeremiah Clarkes Trumpet Voluntary), was excellent.

I had heard of the Albert Memorial but knew nothing more about it than why it was built. After seeing your show I was inspired to learn more and searched the WEB and found a lot of interesting information, thanks for opening my eyes on this subject. It's now on my list of "must-see" if/when I visit London.

Your show conveyed the majesty and eminence size of the memorial, particularly the seamless vertical pan. The length of the show was good as it left me wanting to see more of your excellent images. I'm waiting for the version 2 with a voice over.

I found the colour and particular the tones in the colours striking, I have found this in your other shows, particularly the one on the London Eye. Do you do much work on this in Photoshop? Do you put this down to the equipment you use? If so what do you shot with, particularly the lenses?

Thanks again Paul. :)

Hi John

Glad you liked the show. Before I turn the images into a slide show presentation I work on each image for a considerable time in Photoshop trying to colour grade them to match as best possible. Also, I find that often because of the exposure differential ( if the image was exposed for the foreground) between the foreground and the sky area this needs a lot of work in darkening this sky area if it’s a dominant portion of the image. This is done by making a selection of the sky and applying the levels adjustment and reduce the brightness then invert the selection so the foreground can be made lighter if required. All this helps to make a well photographed image better and lift it to a higher level. I often find that wide angled shots do present these constant problems because of the vast sky area included. However. I do like vast areas of sky in my images if they are dramatic, and will spend hours creating the effect that I was witness to at the time of taking the photograph. Not always does the camera produce what we visually see and I believe we should add our creative version as well. I find its important to work on the images as soon as possible while they are fresh in your memory so that the changes you make match your own vision of that particular moment in time. I don’t believe that equipment plays a big part in the creation of good photographs or slide shows as most low cost digital cameras give fantastic results. It’s all about how we use the tools at our disposal to produce the final pleasing result.

Regards Paul

Before I turn the images into a slide show presentation I work on each image for a considerable time in Photoshop....................

Thanks for the detailed response Paul.

When I worked with transparencies, (seems like the stone ages now), I found the results varied considerably with different combinations of film and lenses. In particular I found a combination of Canon FD lenses and Agfachrome 50S film gave a very pleasing result. It was very similar to the saturation, colours and range of tones within those colours that I see in your shows.

I agree that today digital equipment tends to give a more constant result across a wide range of brands and models and the post shooting work plays a more important roll in the final result than ever before. What would we do without Photoshop. :rolleyes: