WnSoft Forums

Converting PTE to AVI and then to Flash????

fitzner

:unsure: A good friend of mine wants to put some slide presentations on her web site but says this:

Not all web browsers will show exe files. Therefore it's best to convert them to flash which can be done with this particular software.

She also further states this:

The best way I can suggest (MY FRIEND) at present is to save the slideshow as an AVI then convert it to Flash. There are a number of conversion utilities but personally I like Riva Producer Lite. Riva is available for about $30 and includes a free player which resides on your web site.

P2E creates executable code which can't be run on the web - at least not on the vast majority of servers. So to make a show which can be web compatible you need either an html version (loose the nice transitions), a Flash or Java conversion of either an AVI or MPG3 or MPG4. Since P2E can export the file show to an AVI format, you can use conversion software such as Riva Producer Lite to convert the AVI movie to Flash. Then the slideshow can be played over the web. Necessarily there will be a decrease in image quality because the full sized files require so much memory and such that few would be able to play them at full resolution. Generally a 640x480 or somewhere in that file matrix dimension will be satisfactory.

So, would this be a good solution for here to do on her web site since not all browsers will show .exe slide presentation in their present state?

I will pass this on to my friend.

Harry

Hi Harry,

You may want to do a search in the PicturesToExe forum for "Flash". Over the past year of so I have posted a few detailed descriptions of using Flash to convert your PTE slideshows for web use.

For an inexpensive solution Riva Producer Light along with the free Riva encoder can be used effectively to create Flash FLV slideshows. There are two types of Flash (Flash SWF and Flash FLV) which differ a geat deal. Flash SWF is suitable for short slideshows which don't run over about 8 minutes total, but sound synchronization beyond about two minutes is highly problematical. The reason I say 8 minutes is predicated on the assumption that you will be using 29.97 frames per second. There is an absolute maximum of 16,000 frames on any SWF slideshow. When the show reaches 16000 frames it stops, period. So at approximately 30 fps, this means 30x60=1800 frames per minute. Times 9 minutes = 16,200 so nine minutes would exceed the 16,000 frame maximum.

With Flash FLV there is no limit on frame numbers and no issues with sound synchronization. Also it's easier to set up a preload for progressive download (sends a percentage of file to users machine before play begins). Flash has a "progressive" mode which is similar in execution to a "streaming" movie except it actually resides on the viewer's hard disk and is spooled from that location rather than "server side streaming" where the show is streamed from the web server.

If users really want high quality Flash, the Flash 8 is much smaller in file size without loss of quality. This is availalble via On2 Technologies Flix Pro or Flix Standard. The major differences other than cost (Flix Standard is cheap, Flix Pro is expensive) for most people is the fact that Flix Pro can have a cutomized player which is created with each Flash movie. Flash 8 is also available via Sorensen Squeeze and as an OEM product (maker O2 Technologies) via Wildform's WildPresenter Pro.

If you want to link her to a sample, here's a link to the "infinite zoom" test show I posted to earlier done in Flash 8. The image quality is quite good but the pans are a bit jerky compared to the butter smooth executable, but at least she can see how it would work....

http://www.lin-evans.net/kachina/kachinazoom.htm

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Harry,

Yes, most Public Browsers will not support Exe.Files at all ~except~ for a few 'speciality' Browsers which won't allow much above 2-5mB File sizes. The other alternative is to create your own Web-Site and then get a Hosting Utility to publish & support your Site on the Net. The creation of a Web Site can be costly and will incur annual charges in supporting it. Then you have to advertise it...

With acknowledgements to Ken Cox, here below is an 'alternative method' which I have used.

Its called "MediaFire" and they will distribute your Pte.Exe (in all its glory) absolutely Free and like any large File it is transmitted as a Zip.Package. The advantages are many:-

1) Files can be viewed by many persons by downloading directly from the MediaFire Server.

2) The Exe.File(s) are automatically checked for Virus etc; prior to Transmission to 3rd.Parties.

3) You can 'upload' many Exe Files to the MediaFire Server for others to download absolutely Free.

4) It completely eliminates the 'messy' tedious job of Zipping-up Exe.Files being sent to many people.

This may help your Friend as a useful workaround...sample "Attachment" below

Brian.Conflow

post-1416-1182214402_thumb.jpg

:huh: Hey, thanks to all of you above for the information and my friend is also grateful also. My future son and law who will be building my new computer is coming over from Houston, Texas and needs to know some information about the speed and power of my new computer for this new version 5.0. I tried to do a search for threads but came up with errors. So just let me know what you have that works like that most important graphic video card.

Harry

Hi Harry,

The first thing which anyone will need to know "before" making a video card recommendation is the type of "bus" which will be used on your new computer. Actually, to be more specific, if you could find out which motherboard (brand and model) then it will be much easier to make a recommendation about the video card.

Older style computers had AGP (Advanced Graphics Port) slots for a video card which were designed for that particular type card. Some very powerful cards were made for the AGP slot such as the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. These formerly very expensive cards are now available for around $100 and do a very good job with demanding PTE video shows. PCIe has replace many of the AGP designs and there are a number of very good cards designed for this environment.

I would suggest reading this - and perhaps have your future son-in-law read it also:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2007372_buy-video-card.html

Lin

:huh: Hey, thanks to all of you above for the information and my friend is also grateful also. My future son and law who will be building my new computer is coming over from Houston, Texas and needs to know some information about the speed and power of my new computer for this new version 5.0. I tried to do a search for threads but came up with errors. So just let me know what you have that works like that most important graphic video card.

Harry

Hi Harry,

The first thing which anyone will need to know "before" making a video card recommendation is the type of "bus" which will be used on your new computer. Actually, to be more specific, if you could find out which motherboard (brand and model) then it will be much easier to make a recommendation about the video card.

Older style computers had AGP (Advanced Graphics Port) slots for a video card which were designed for that particular type card. Some very powerful cards were made for the AGP slot such as the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. These formerly very expensive cards are now available for around $100 and do a very good job with demanding PTE video shows. PCIe has replace many of the AGP designs and there are a number of very good cards designed for this environment.

I would suggest reading this - and perhaps have your future son-in-law read it also:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2007372_buy-video-card.html

Lin

Thanks Lin, I will copy this thread for the "Son-In-Law"

Harry

Hello,

Not sure if it will work but I'm about to upload the PTE video file to Google video, you can then copy the html and paste to your site where it will run. Oh and by the way, it's all free!!!!

Moelwyn.

:unsure:Hey, Moelwyn, let me know how this works out!!!!!!!!!

Harry :lol: