WnSoft Forums

New Slide Show...sort of...7 Days in May...3 parts

cagney123

I posted these shows a week or so ago. They aren't art...but they are from the heart. I hope you find them of interest. And anyone who wishes to post comments or reviews can have at it. See you on down the trail.

Jeff

Jeff's shows are at the cottage

7 Days in May part 1 of 3

File Size: 9.71M

By: jefflunt123@msn.com

Download Count: 132

Author's Notes

Part 2 The Journey Through Melting Canyon

File Size: 28.8M

Download Count: 123

Author's Notes

7 Days in May part 3 of 3

File Size: 17.1M

Download Count: 160

Author's Notes

ken

Hi, Jeff,

Your photos are superb, and the music accentuates the raw, inhospitable setting of one of Nature's most splendid art galleries. I am inspired to drop everything and hike through Melting Canyon, to feel the rough and smooth textures of the colorful, iron-rich strata, and to explore the graceful, wind-carved niches for myself (and that's just Part 2 of a fine trio).

Congratulations on your beautiful shows.

Best wishes,

David

Thank you David...you have incredible taste...Ha. Part two is my favorite by far. Part one has a favorite campsite, and part three has a dried lake portion near the end that I was excited about. Karen and I drove by it on our way northwest and both of us wanted to look at it closer on the way back. Lake Powell is way, way down. It is better than it was in 2004, but still quite low. Some of the cracks in the lake bed are about 7 feet deep. Sammy was very brave walking over them.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It was a very enjoyable trip.

Jeff

Jeff,

I too was enthralled with your 3-part '7 Days in May', as well as '1997 Spring' and 'El Camino Del Diablo', great photography and tremendous music choices in every show. Titling and music credits are very professional.

There is nothing at all like that scenery here in New Zealand - we have our own landscapes of course, but not on such a scale as in your shows. They are utterly fascinating!

I would like permission to show your PTE creations at my local camera club, particularly as there are a number of members using ProShow who are somewhat dissatisfied with results from that program. Several of them bought ProShow on my say-so, and I feel a bit responsible when they ask why their shows are not as sharp as they expected. I would very much like to swing them onto PTE5, and viewing your shows would do the trick, I think.

I have re-done one or two of my own shows from ProShow into PTE, but they are absolutely mundane alongside yours.

I think including the dog is a great touch, a lovely animal, - I guess there were two different dogs, since the 1997 show is ten years before the 7 Days in May sequences - and the inclusion of the dog gives scale to the scenery in a subtle and natural way, much better than having a human in every shot.

Thank you for your shows, they are inspirational.

Colin

Hello Colin. Thank you for the very kind and generous remarks. New Zealand is one of the places on earth I would love to see. Unfortunately the funds aren't up to the task, so I will be searching for your shows to see what I can see from good old New Mexico.

You have my permission to use the shows as you wish. I hope they do the trick for your club. I love the PTE program, and the hands on feedback and care from the people who continue to develop it.

Sammy is a great dog and I really need something for scale in some of the shots. Many of the canyon shots wouldn't look like much until one understands the scale.

In any event, thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

All the best,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Just watched your three latest shows and really enjoyed them all, my favourite was part 3.

They all have superb images, great production and music ( not to mention Sammy). They made me feel as though I had actually been on the trip. We presently live in North Wales UK and have nice scenery,but nothing as grand as yours.

Thanks for taking me there.

Neil

Interesting Neil...why part 3? I'm guessing a little more variety of scenery.

I'm glad you got the feeling of being on the trip. That is one of my goals when making these shows.

North Wales...do you have any shows posted with your local scenery? I would love to take a look.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Jeff

Guest Techman1

Jeff,

Nice job on all three parts. The photography was very nice and the music flowed beautifully with the images. I liked the ending also, we always say something similar to your remark when camping or visiting nature sites. That saying is; "Leave only footprints...take only memories".

Again nice job and thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Regards,

Fred

Hey Cagney Jeff!

As usual, it was/is a pleasure to view your latest wanderings. I agree with others' comments of fine photography and the "feel" of that portion of our grand earth. And of course when you wander over the border into my "homeland", I start recognizing locations, or wondering where you are when I don't recognize. :)

I first recognized Little Wild Horse Canyon. Nice skillfull, technical work in getting pleasing photos there. For the sake of those not familiar with the canyon - it "ain't always easy" to get the shot you can see. We hiked up Bell Canyon and down Little Wild Horse a year ago. Best I can determine, we were there about 2 weeks later than your week. I don't know where you found the wonderous patch of purple flowers? You scooped me on that one! Now your nice photos of that area have motivated me to take a look again at my own photos. I know I did not do a PTE sequence of the area except of Goblin Valley as I was eager to try our early Version 5 Beta in my Strange Land show of Goblin Valley.

Now I must ask - is Melting Canyon your own moniker for your location on/in Lake Powell? Not recognizing the name, I googled quickly and found only your references. Where did you run into the very deep fissures in the dried mud? I certainly don't profess to be a Lake Powell expert, as it would require a life time of nothing else. I did have the privilege almost fifty years ago of riding the river for a week before the dam/lake. Thus I am especially interested when I see photos from you or others of old locations once again born out of the receding waters. If you would care to share any info on your routes in the area, I'd really be interested.

Bringing this back to PTE - A couple of years ago I found a somewhat different personal use for PTE. I had purchased a nice book on the pre-Lake Powell Colorado River. The book included a cd of wonderful history and photos. With PTE I was able to make a "front page" interface which made the whole presentation much more navigable for me. Just another testimonial of the flexibility that we all find in Igor's contribution to our happiness. Thanks again for your contribution of your photographic interpretations.

Thanks Fred. Whenever I have images that might look like I have driven or camped in open land I will post an ending like that. I don't want anyone thinking we are careless out there. The land is just too incredible to disturb. Each part had a scene where it might look suspicious depending on the angle at which I composed the picture. In part 1 our camp looks quite remote when it is actually located very near lake powell. It is a favorite because most people don't see the dirt road heading off the main road. It is a very nice road that any vehicle could drive down, and yet we are almost always alone at this spot.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Jeff,

Nice job on all three parts. The photography was very nice and the music flowed beautifully with the images. I liked the ending also, we always say something similar to your remark when camping or visiting nature sites. That saying is; "Leave only footprints...take only memories".

Again nice job and thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Regards,

Fred

Hey Lumenlux...good to hear from you.

You are spot on about Little Wild Horse. And you must be in pretty good shape to do the loop through Bell and Little Wild Horse. We did it back in 1992 on a very hot summer day. It was my wife's first time and she went absolutely crazy for the place. Back in those days I shot video, and boy is it fun to watch now.

Little Wild Horse is a difficult place to photograph...at least for me. Unfortunately we started out on a very windy overcast day. We were just getting too the very narrow part when it started to rain. The large cloud shots and wind shots at the ghost ranch were just after leaving Wild Horse.

The purple flowers were in White Canyon...also the humming bird nest. I was going to photograph a twig coming out of the canyon wall and when I walked up to it. I was pleasantly surprised. And the flowers were only in that one spot. We walked a couple miles and saw nothing like it anywhere else.

I remember your Goblin Valley show. What an incredible place.

Now for the questions...again you are spot on...you must be eating well, Melting Canyon is a name i've used since before I knew the real name. I left the real name out so that it wouldn't get too crowded. In the old days you had to find the place as there were no signs, but now there is a nice sign and a parking area. Very rustic, but still it is becoming pretty well known. Back about 20 years ago my nephew and I would go out there...I will tell you where in a moment, and we would feel like junior explorers. We would be there when it was 100 degrees and just have a blast. One of my favorite images in my mind of my nephew as a boy is when one afternoon when the sun was blasting down, I was laying in the shade and he grabbed a shovel and went off to do some mining. We had been looking for old bottles and I had gotten lucky and found one completely intact. Now here was this boy of about 10 walking off in 100 degree heat with a small shovel...and the place he was digging was an old dump...but to him it was a gold mine. He is now in Japan working on his doctorate in some kind of genetic science. He had to go there to work with some fairly famous professor...and the University of Chicago is paying him..not too bad for an old gold digger. Times have changed.....

The canyon's real name is Crack...and you were right next to it when you hiked Bell and Little Wild Horse. It is approached from the west side, and the good part is right away. It is a favorite because there is a large camping area right there and the hike is totally easy. Nice for us old guys as the years go by. Another plus is, it is so easy the young guys looking for a challenge skip it, or go through so quickly they aren't in the area long.

The mud was right next to the road about a mile or two after you cross the bridge heading from Blanding to Hanksville on highway 95. It didn't look like too much from the road, but once we got down there it was fantastic. 7 feet deep in spots. Sammy was quite brave about it all.

You were very lucky to see the old canyon before they filled it up. I would love to see it, and may if the rains don't get with it.

And I agree, Igor has brought a lot of happiness to many people with this wonderful program.

Thanks for taking the time to post a great letter. It was a lot of fun...I'm out on my patio having a cup of coffee listening to the birds chirping and singing. It looks like it will be a wonderful day.

All the best,

Jeff