WnSoft Forums

Stopping and Starting Music

loftphoto

In PTE v5 I've created a presentation that is like a "business card". It has a main page - a menu - that links to some other exes I've created in PTE. My menu show continues to play in the background with music while the other exes run. Here's my problem: I'm adding a link to a website which is also playing a song. What this means is that there are two songs going at the same time - not what I want . Is there a way to turn off the music on the PTE presentation while the web page is up and then have it automatically start up again when the user closes out the website, returning to my PTE "main menu"? Thanks...

How have you setup the sound in your PTE file?

A sound file added in Project Options.

A sound file added in the sound field under the slide preview area.

A sound file added to a slide in Customise slide as background music.

Each of these can give different results as will as various combinations of these.

How have you setup the sound in your PTE file?

A sound file added in Project Options.

A sound file added in the sound field under the slide preview area.

A sound file added to a slide in Customise slide as background music.

Each of these can give different results as will as various combinations of these.

I added the music in the project options - no luck in getting it to pause. After reading your post I inserted the music in the customize slide area; also no luck. I'm not familiar with your second idea though. How do I go about tryign this?

I added the music in the project options - no luck in getting it to pause. After reading your post I inserted the music in the customize slide area; also no luck. I'm not familiar with your second idea though. How do I go about tryign this?

It was more of a question than a suggestion. However I gather you added the sound in "Project Options>Music" which should work if you have "Pause when window of show becomes inactive" ticked on the main tab of Project Options.

How do you call the internet site from the PTE show?

Just for future information the attached screen-shot shows where a sound file can be added to a image on the main PTE screen.

post-3194-1183702262_thumb.jpg

loftphoto,

How many slides in your Menu.exe setup ?

For your pause function to work I believe you must Sync Music and Slides on Project Options- Main tab.

Add your Music to Project Options-Music tab.

If your Menu.exe is just 1 slide ... just copy and paste as slide 2 so you can Sync Music and Slides.

EDITED NOTE:

This setup wont work for your purpose. Ater having coffee, I just realized you are using the music from within the menu to play for the other show links.

Is there a way to turn off the music on the PTE presentation while the web page is up and then have it automatically start up again when the user closes out the website, returning to my PTE "main menu"? Thanks...

One way to turn off background music is to add another slide (could be a repeat of the first) and check "Customize slide / Music / Play new background music file". You don't need to actually add any music. This will cut off any background music already playing. Then program this slide to open your web page. (you might have to post a message asking the user to click on it again).

When you return to it, you can program a button on the slide so that when you click on it, you return to a slide to which you have added your background music. I don't know of any way to set it up so that it continues where it left off, but maybe if you experiment a bit you will find a way.

One way to turn off background music is to add another slide (could be a repeat of the first) and check "Customize slide / Music / Play new background music file". You don't need to actually add any music. This will cut off any background music already playing. Then program this slide to open your web page. (you might have to post a message asking the user to click on it again).

When you return to it, you can program a button on the slide so that when you click on it, you return to a slide to which you have added your background music. I don't know of any way to set it up so that it continues where it left off, but maybe if you experiment a bit you will find a way.

This works pretty well - thanks. I created the second slide very much like you suggested. To get the show to work the way I wanted however I also had to remove all music from the show in "Project Options". I left the "repeat music" box checked. I then added the music back onto the main slide with the Customize slide menu options.

No music plays when the new slide I've created opens but I can live with that because there's no reason for my users to linger there. They're either going to or coming from the website. I also don't care that the music doesn't restart where it left off. If anyone has a more "elegant" solution I'd be glad to hear it but I very much appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks...

It was more of a question than a suggestion. However I gather you added the sound in "Project Options>Music" which should work if you have "Pause when window of show becomes inactive" ticked on the main tab of Project Options.

How do you call the internet site from the PTE show?

Just for future information the attached screen-shot shows where a sound file can be added to a image on the main PTE screen.

I am just reading this thread in search of a solution to a similr question. I have a background music (saved in Project Options) and I have a sound that could start at a given slide, but lasts 3.5 slides. This sound I attached using 'Customize Slide\Music\play new background'. It works fine, but ... the project background music does not keep on, or even continue after the 3.5 slides are over. Is there a way to insert a sound that lasts more than a slide, and get the backgroung to stay in the background ?

Thanks, Philippe

Is there a way to insert a sound that lasts more than a slide, and get the backgroung to stay in the background ?

Philippe if you add the sound to the slide in the "sound field" under the slide preview area in the main screen, (as per the screen-shoot in my post above) the background sound file will continue playing while this sound plays. The sound file added in this way will start with the slide it is attached to and play until it is finished, (in your case for 3.5 slides), no matter what the timing on the slide is.

The only issue with this is you have no control of the volume of each file in PTE, so they will play with a mix at the sound level of each file. You may need to adjust this in a sound editor first to get the desired mix.

Igor has indicated the some basic sound editing will be incorporated into a version of PTE in the near future. :)

Philippe if you add the sound to the slide in the "sound field" under the slide preview area in the main screen, (as per the screen-shoot in my post above) the background sound file will continue playing while this sound plays. The sound file added in this way will start with the slide it is attached to and play until it is finished, (in your case for 3.5 slides), no matter what the timing on the slide is.

The only issue with this is you have no control of the volume of each file in PTE, so they will play with a mix at the sound level of each file. You may need to adjust this in a sound editor first to get the desired mix.

Igor has indicated the some basic sound editing will be incorporated into a version of PTE in the near future. :)

Yhanks for the answer. That's what I was hoping, but with v.5.02 (I did not try this with any other version) the sound stops at the next slide change.

Any idea why this is happening? Philippe

Yhanks for the answer. That's what I was hoping, but with v.5.02 (I did not try this with any other version) the sound stops at the next slide change.

Any idea why this is happening? Philippe

Philippe,

In "Project Ops / Music" you have to also check "Don't interrupt sound comment when next slide appears".

Philippe,

In "Project Ops / Music" you have to also check "Don't interrupt sound comment when next slide appears".

Amazing ! is there anything that can't be resolved. Frankly, part of the value of using this software is the amazing support forum.

Thank you both so much, again

Philippe :D