WnSoft Forums

Music from ITunes

Tom Rowles

Hi

Can someone help me as to how to download music purchased from ITunes to Adobe Audition for use in PTE.

Thanks Tom R

Hi Tom,

Believe it or not, I have just spent half a day on "iTunes" and "U-Tube" searching for a rare piece of Music

which was needed for a Sound Project. I found the File and downloaded it, then the problems started.

It played O.K on the PC with the "iTune's Codec" and I loaded it into Audacity Sound Editor. It appeared to

edit O.K but on Replay it broke-up many times with unexpected 'fade-outs' ~ so I tried Nero Sound Editor,

the same thing happened. In all respects the File looks like an Mp3, but it isn't. It seems to use a unique

codeing method which appears to resist 'ripping' and File alterations, obviously a method to prevent copying.

It's my belief that you are going to have the same problems with 'Adobe Audition' unless Adobe can provide

a plug-in Codec ~ I very much doubt that. You are left with two alternatives, record the Music from your

Sound Card with a 'Sound-Recorder' or I believe Audacity Sound Editor can also do that, I can't speak

for Adobe Audition as I don't use it.

Alternatively you will need "Apples' iTunes 7 Software" to get the Music on to a CD and then to the PC, even

if you have an iPod the same applies, but that depends as to how the iPod is set-up: See "Attachment".

Here is a Link to that Software:- http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

See "Attachment" below.

Brian.Conflow

post-1416-1184633553_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

Believe it or not, I have just spent half a day on "iTunes" and "U-Tube" searching for a rare piece of Music

which was needed for a Sound Project. I found the File and downloaded it, then the problems started.

It played O.K on the PC with the "iTune's Codec" and I loaded it into Audacity Sound Editor. It appeared to

edit O.K but on Replay it broke-up many times with unexpected 'fade-outs' ~ so I tried Nero Sound Editor,

the same thing happened. In all respects the File looks like an Mp3, but it isn't. It seems to use a unique

codeing method which appears to resist 'ripping' and File alterations, obviously a method to prevent copying.

It's my belief that you are going to have the same problems with 'Adobe Audition' unless Adobe can provide

a plug-in Codec ~ I very much doubt that. You are left with one alternative, record the Music from your

Sound Card with a 'Sound-Recorder' or I believe Audacity Sound Editor can also do that, I can't speak

for Adobe Audition as I don't use it.

Brian.Conflow

I'm not familiar with Audition, as I use Goldwave, a professional sound editor according to the website, but free for limited use. It has the capability to capture sound as it is being played on the computer, so I just play the music, whether from Itunes or CD, and capture it as it is playing. This removes all the problems with trying to load protected recordings directly into an editor. Possibly Audition or Audacity can do this as well, but if not, download Goldwave and give it a try. For MP3 capability Goldwave uses Lamewin as a plug-in, available from the Goldwave website.

Colin

If I remember rightly, some time ago Apple started sales of unprotected tracks in MP3 format 256 kbit/bitrate. Not all compositions and with higher price. These tracks can be used directly in slideshows without prior converting.

In Reply

Igor you are correct about the unprotected iTunes but the Music Library is very limited and it does not resolve the 'compatibility-issue' between "iPod" and the Windows Operating System ~ they are incompatible !

People simply don't understand that "iPod" is an Apple-Mac product configured with a Mac Format when the Player is first purchased ~ it can be re-configured to a Windows Format ~ but then you have other problems

when you want to play "iTunes".

The big problem is getting the Mac Music Files into a Windows PC so that Windows can play them.

There is no problem with this as Apple-Mac offer the "iTunes 7 Software" to do that job, its the reason I gave a Link to that Software (My Post No: 639 above)

For the ordinary person its extremely difficult to connect an "iPod" to the Line Input of a PC so one can play

the Music and hopefully 'copy' it, - better by far to download the Software and do the job properly.

Brian.Conflow.

Note 1:- The "iPod" Software Pak comes with all New "iPods" ~ If its lost, 'Download Free' on the Apple Website.

Note 2:- If the "ipod" is being used as a Flash Drive taking Files from one PC to another then you have a problem.

Note 3:- The "iPod" needs to be re-configured to do that job ~ those Instructions are buried deep in the Manual.

Tom,

You can certainly record from your sound card using Audition. You will need to use the Windows Volume Control and go to Properties, Recording and then in the Recording Control window you will probably need to select Line In and adjust the volume slider. .

I have used this method to record radio programmes that I want to listen to at later times and it works perfectly but in this case I use the Mono Mix slider to get the volume I want.

Kind Regards

Peter