WnSoft Forums

Can you do this?

Peter Kilminster and I have been trying to sort out just how to pan a filmstrip so that each of the images 'pauses the display' for a few seconds before moving on to the next image. We had a number of problems in achieving the end result (even now it still requires some tweeking) That's where you come in, have a look at the quick demo and let me know if you have any suggestions on how it can be improved.

Ron

Panning_a_Filmstrip.zip

The filmstrips were made with Photoshop Actions created by Panos.

Visit his Web Site for full details, Here:

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/filmstrip.zip

or

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/filmstrip2.zip

I don't have that particular actions so this is just the film "sprocket" with the dividing "threads" removed.

Lin

Peter Kilminster and I have been trying to sort out just how to pan a filmstrip so that each of the images 'pauses the display' for a few seconds before moving on to the next image. We had a number of problems in achieving the end result (even now it still requires some tweeking) That's where you come in, have a look at the quick demo and let me know if you have any suggestions on how it can be improved.

Ron

Panning_a_Filmstrip.zip

The filmstrips were made with Photoshop Actions created by Panos.

Visit his Web Site for full details, Here:

snip..... have a look at the quick demo and let me know if you have any suggestions on how it can be improved.

Ron, nice use of the Panos Photoshop action.

Maybe a black leader on the film strip which would then remove the white strip on the right of the screen when the first image stops, or just use a black background but this might remove the effect of the sprocket holes?

Also the end of the film is a little abrupt. Perhaps the end title could slide onto the screen the same as the film strip.

Images could be a little larger and displayed a little longer. Use zoom in then out on each image when it stops perhaps.

Just a few suggestions.

Wideangle,

Excellent idea and an interesting variation on my 'Filmstrip'. Perhaps you would let me know just how you achieved this transition effect. Email me if you prefer (ronniebootwest@ntlworld.com)

Ron

Hi Lin,

Your 2 examples were great. You have managed to change the size of your image so that they fill the screen, which is exactly what I have been unable to achieve so far. You will notice that when my filmstrip 'pauses' the end of the previous image and the beginning of the next image is visible - I would prefer just the whole of the centre image to be displayed but the dimensions of the image are obviously set to mimick 35 mm film and I don't know how to change this in the 'action'.

jfa has suggested that it would be a good idea to zoom in and then out of each image when it is paused, I think that might work but am unsure of how to set the points on the timeline to achieve this.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Since I don't have the same action, I can't be certain what can be done with it, but the "easiest" way to to this effect is to make single images with the film strip on each then put them in separate slides on the slide list. Next choose the number of them you wish to go in whichever direction by clilcking on the first one then holding down the "shift" key and clicking on the last one. This will "select" all files between the first and last one. This can be used to select two, four or all, etc. If you want to select random ones, hold down the CTRL key while left clicking the mouse. Once you have selected any number from one to all, you can then open "customize slide" and whatever timing and transition you choose will be applied to all.

What I did was choose the "Push Left to Right" and "Push Right to Left" transition with a timing of 5 seconds (5000) for the transition. The slides were entered 1 through 10 then 9 through 1. The first ten got "Push Left to Right" the last 9 got "Push Right to Left" The time for each slide display was set to 7 seconds.

Using individual slides make it easy to size and you will get perfect matching by just using the default 100%.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Your 2 examples were great. You have managed to change the size of your image so that they fill the screen, which is exactly what I have been unable to achieve so far. You will notice that when my filmstrip 'pauses' the end of the previous image and the beginning of the next image is visible - I would prefer just the whole of the centre image to be displayed but the dimensions of the image are obviously set to mimick 35 mm film and I don't know how to change this in the 'action'.

jfa has suggested that it would be a good idea to zoom in and then out of each image when it is paused, I think that might work but am unsure of how to set the points on the timeline to achieve this.

Ron