WnSoft Forums

Windows XP 64-bit edition

potwnc

I'm building a new PC and I'm thinking of putting XP 64-bit edition on it. Does PTE 5 run OK on XP 64?

I can confirm that. I have XP x64 on my main system and both PTE5 and Video Builder work without a problem.

Some older software and some games won't work - and make sure that there are 64-bit drivers available for all your peripheral hardware (for instance Epson still do not have 64-bit drivers for my Photo Perfection scanner and the XP x64 drivers for my Epson C1100 colour laser printer were pretty rudimentary compared to the 32-bit XP driver). Some vendors have leapt straight to 64-bit Vista drivers and by-passed XP x64 completely.

Other than that, this system has 8Gb of RAM and is pretty fast.

Carol,

Thanks for the input. Do you have any experience of Windows Media Encoder, 64-bit versus 32-bit? I'll be putting XP-64 on a new PC I'm building, dedicated to video production. I've already verified all peripherals support XP-64. Igor has already indicated that PTE 5.1 will have optimizations for dual-core CPUs, but I'm trying to future-proof my investment by building a PC with 2 quad-core CPUs (and 8GB RAM for now). Hopefully that will scream through the rendering compared to my current single-core 3GHz box.

Ray