I have a new slide show called Mt Teide

There are two versions, one for 1280*1024 monitors

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/slideshow/teide.zip

and one for 1024*768 monitors

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/slideshow/teide2.zip

There also one I made earlier on the Purton Hulks

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/slideshow/purton01.zip

Barry

Great stuff Barry. Magnificent landscape with all the different coloured rocks and the photographic viewpoints used were well thought out. Also liked the moving clouds that helped to take the show to a more animated level. Have been to one of your seminars a little while back and had experienced some of you shows with great delight. Thanks for showing it Barry.

Regards Paul

Barry, Carol,

Just watched your show - WONDERFUL - you certainly set the standard I would like to reach, but..........

Having had a fleeting visit there a few years ago it brings it all back to me. I MUST go back.

Thanks for sharing.

John

Just watched your latest show Barry and as always am very impressed.

It was when you were writing in Digital Photo magazine, (I think it was 2002 or 03), that you wrote a tutorial on using PTE, (v4.00 beta I think), that got me started with this excellent program. Then I found your AVs and they inspired me to make my own. Since then I have learnt much from you and your shows they are always original in presentation with new ideas and the photography is wonderful, thanks Barry.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to the next one. :)

There are two versions, one for 1280*1024 monitors

and one for 1024*768 monitors

Barry,

I have just enjoyed watching your sequence but wondered why you offer two versions.

Surely an exe sequence adjusts automatically to the monitor resolution such that no quality is lost until the monitor resolution exceeds the original slide resolution.

But perhaps I am missing something.

Keith Biggs

Keith

When I play my 1280 pixel slide show back on a 1024*768 monitor it shows two black edges. By creating one show at 4:3 format and one at 5:4 I don't get that annoying black band.

I have noticed a lot of slide shows seem to be created that are edge to edge each side, but show a black band top and bottom. (probably the fit to slide option is used as the default) I don't like that, AV is all about presentation and attention to detail.

In my view, either fill the entire screen or retain the original formal within the screen space. The final result looks far better as the images do not stretch edge to edge on only two sides.

Better to have a gap all around the edge of the image if format needs to be retained. In my opinion of course :rolleyes:

Barry

Keith

When I play my 1280 pixel slide show back on a 1024*768 monitor it shows two black edges. By creating one show at 4:3 format and one at 5:4 I don't get that annoying black band.

I have noticed a lot of slide shows seem to be created that are edge to edge each side, but show a black band top and bottom. (probably the fit to slide option is used as the default) I don't like that, AV is all about presentation and attention to detail.

In my view, either fill the entire screen or retain the original formal within the screen space. The final result looks far better as the images do not stretch edge to edge on only two sides.

Better to have a gap all around the edge of the image if format needs to be retained. In my opinion of course :rolleyes:

Barry

Thanks Barry, I understand now.

I make all my sequences to fit the widescreen format 1280x720 as this suits my projector, monitor and TV but of course, shown on a 4:3 projector or monitor would produce black top and bottom, and I agree this is not ideal.

I asked the question because I thought you might be implying better quality in some way by having separate versions.

Keith

Well, for real ultimate quality from our images in a slide show, the images should be made at the screen res we want to display them. That way we can be sure that we squeeze every ounce of quality from our image. Its always going to be better that squashing an image to fit a smaller screen or enlarging it to fit a larger screen.

I am talking more of static shows rather than animated.

As we reduce the resolution of an image to our chosen display format and size, we can add unsharp mask to put back some sharpness in the image that we lose when we take out pixels. However, we need to be careful when we do this with animation or we can induce the dreased Moire effect. If our aim is a static show where the moire effect is not an issue, we can probably squeeze more sharpness into an image than we would ever risk for print purposes.

The reason is that an image in a slide show is only on screen for a few seconds and if there is anywhere where we can take a few liberties, within reason of course, this is it.

Image quality is vital in my view. The mix of music and subject matter is also vital for the overall feel and mood of a slide show, but slide shows should not be used as a vehicle for us to use images we would not normally show.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Barry

I meant to mention this earlier but I forgot, now having watched your show again it has reminded me.

When viewing your show on a 1440 x 900 screen I sometimes see behind your grey frame the main picture showing in about a 1 or 2 px band on the right and left hand side of the frame, this occurs 99% of the time when the picture is panned or zoomed, I don't notice it when the pictures are free from animation.

I don't know if this is just something peculiar to me, but I thought you might like to know.

Any thoughts on this at all?

I enjoyed the show by the way.

Kind regards

Paul