WnSoft Forums

Slide show sharpness

MarioG

Hi Mario,

Could you give some more information - version of PTE being used, hardware, video card, etc. These all impact on image quality and size of image best for your purpose.

Lin

I just made a test slideshow and was dissappionted with the image quality.

What is the best recommedation for image size, min and max?

Also, can you use other than jpg?

Mario

Mario

Given your previous post you appear to be using PTE5.

With the introduction of animation, the question of what image size to use is not one that is easily answered. There are a few if's and but's that get in the way.

Does the page here help

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/audiovisua...e%20%20size.htm

Barry

Mario,

Before you start altering PC.Settings ~ pushing buttons and generally going down 'cul-de-sacs' you might

like to know that PTE has gained an International reputation for its superb quality of Image and Sound renditions and is the envy of many a Competitor. Some 4000 Forum Members will endorse that...

So lets make things simple:- Start with downloading Pte V4.48 ~ (forget PTE5xx for the time being, it has a very steep learning curve). With V4.48 make a small "Test Show" with image sizes of 1024x768 pixels using not more than 8/10 Images which should be good quality JPegs of some 150-200kB each...leave out the the Music Track for the time being. Make an Exe of this Show and put it on a CD-Disc or Memory Pen.

1)

Review this "Test Show" and check your 'Image Quality' ~ if there is a lack of sharpness/focus then

the problem can be resolved down to your Video Card or Monitor.

2)

To check the Monitor hook it up to another PC or a Laptop (a few minutes work) then download the Exe

to that Pc....and check again. If the fault is still there then its the Monitor if the fault has cleared its the Video Card on your personal Host PC.

3)

This "Test" takes but a few minutes, borrow a friends PC or visit a friend with a PC and download the Test Exe to his PC and try out your Monitor there ~ this will save you days of 'poking' around....

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Mario,

Could you give some more information - version of PTE being used, hardware, video card, etc. These all impact on image quality and size of image best for your purpose.

Lin

Hello Lin

I'm using a Gforce 6800 card on a 2 gig p4 with two monitors.

My aim is presenting my SS on a televion screen rather than on a computer.

I was practicing with Dom's Album and page transitions were very jerky. Turns out

I was caused by using images which were much too high in size\resolution. After reducing the resolution

somewhat I was able to play the SS with smooth transitions while retaining overall sharpness.

Since television screens as opposed to computer screens are more standard in resolution I thought

determaning the best resolution for a slide to be presented on a television screen would be beneficial.

Barry has given me a link to the Beckham site which gives very informative information on this topic.

Mario

Mario

Given your previous post you appear to be using PTE5.

With the introduction of animation, the question of what image size to use is not one that is easily answered. There are a few if's and but's that get in the way.

Does the page here help

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/audiovisua...e%20%20size.htm

Barry

Thanks Barry,

Yes I'm using PTE 5 Deluxe. Thanks for the link, it cleared the mist.

Mario

Mario,

Seems that you have resolved your problem by "re-sizing" your images ~ thats good news.

Ignore my Post (above)

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian, I'm still waiting though for an answer to the other part of my question regarding image file formats.

Is jpg the only format to use or can PTE utilize other formats? I read and have forgotten the answer to this.

Unfortunately, I suffer greatly from an affliction which usually manifests itself in the male species.

That is I can never find something when I want it!! LOL

Ask a woman where she put something ten years ago and Bang! straight away she knows where it is. Might have something to do with that multi-tasking thing. :P

Mario

Mario,

Compliments to Fred - he saved me a "root around"

1)

To answer your question ~ One has to go outside the PTE Program and consider 'other people and their PCs'. Most PCs today can handle 1024x768 pixel Images ~ however small Portables and small Screen Laptops of 10" inches or less are usually limited to that Image size.....so one has to compromise !

2)

Then if you want to publish to the Web you are usually limited to a Max: 800x600 pixels. Thats not your fault, its to do with your Web Provider and his desire to conserve Bandwidth (more paying Clients) and good upload performance.....so one has to compromise again !

3)

And if you want to send Pte.Shows over the 'wires' as Attachments to EMail you have to be careful with your File Sizes as its very easy to "exceed" your allotted upload limits.....so another compromise !

4)

But if you have none of those constraints, start off with 1024 x 768 pixels and gradually work upwards

in Image Sizes to get the best personal quality choice.

5)

As to Image Formats, be careful with Gif's and Bmp's as they can be limited to 8bit and 16bit pixel format

where in fact your best lower limit is 24bit and better again at 32bit and the new 64bit coming on stream.

So in reality you're into JPeg, PnG, Tiff, Targa and RAW Formats. The latter by far gives the best Images but

RAW Images take a lot of Editing Work and PnG is really a Graphic Format with Transparency attributes so you are left with the old reliables JPeg, Tiff, Targa as everyday working Formats.

Many will disagree with me, but thats the nature of Photography...it's an Art Form of very much a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Brian.Conflow.