WnSoft Forums

More problems with Vista

Barrie

I have just bought a laptop - Acer 59020G - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 @200Gh with a Ge Force 8600M GT graphics card - total available graphics memory 1023, dedicated video memory 256, shared system memory 767. With 2Gb RAM - running on Vista.

Shows I made in PTE5 using panning, work perfectly on my old desktop, running on XP, which is a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz with 1gb ram and 128 viedo ram and yet when I show them on my new laptop the panning images are blurred (even when using small files) and they hook.

Any suggetsions would be welcome as unfortunately the machine is too new to have XP divers available.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Barrie

Pixel dimensions of images in show?

Screen resolutions of desktop and laptop monitors?

Fullscreen or windowed mode?

DaveG

I am using 1024 x 768 screen resolutions for both desktop and laptop.

Generally pixel dimensions of images are 1024 x 768

In the case of th images that are not sharp when panning - one is a png at 500 x 375 pixels - aeroplane on clear flying across the sky. The other is a Jpeg 2608 by 768 high which is aeroplanes on a blue sky panning across.

Thanks

Barrie

Barrie,

Welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like your new laptop should easily handle the sequence as you describe it. Maybe you have other processes running on it simultaneously that are using up the resources and interfering with the running of the PTE file?

If you post the show with the airplane on a website or via "mediafire", some of us could have a look at it to see how it performs on another pc.

Barrie,

Do you observe this problem on static images (without panning) ?

If picture looks blurred only during panning, I think the most likely it can be caused by LCD display in this laptop - too long pixel update time. I watched similar effect on some laptops.

ACER LAPTOP

~View in Full Screen~

Barrie,

Yes, Igor is generally correct about that diagnosis. We have 2 older ACER's in our Workshops running Win 2000-Pro. We bought these PC in Germany for many reasons:- 1) Because of excellent Picture quality. 2) Because its one of the rare Laptops you can view in Sunlight. 3) Adjustable Brightness and Contrast and Sound. 4) Most of all for producing very fine detail in Engineering Drawings. 5) Extreme Stability and Toughness. They work best with:- 98se - 2000.Pro (SP2+4) and XP.Pro (Sp2+4)

Your "Acer Vista Laptop" would be using Intels OEM version of Vista 'rigged' to suit the Intel Chipset

which like all other ACER's would be using 'Chipset Bios' and not Software Bios like Dells and PC's.

They all have a few "design quirks" not seen in other Laptops. They all use a fixed Chipset Bios System from the Intel Chipset series (which can't be altered). The TFT.LCD Screen is a special to ACER, it uses a system of pixel accelleration and long persistance to achieve fine detail ~ having said that, you might try to adjust the Frame Rate in Display Properties to reduce 'Focus Smear' when Panning & Zooming in PTE. We have adjusted ours for other reasons.

Igors definition of:- Long Pixel Update..is be true to the extent that the LCD Screen is always 'pro-active' in showing an Image and Refreshing to another. You see this with 'Effects' in PTE 4.48 they are always finely incrimental.

Drivers:- The 'System Drivers' in these Laptos are set by the 'Chipset Bios System' (Hardwired) that includes all Coms Ports, the Display, Printer Ports, Serial Ports, and all USB Device, USB Hub, Hard Drive, PMC Cards, and Floppy. I assume its the same for Intel/Acer Vista Laptops if they are using the 'Intel Bridge Driver System' - you might check that ?

Driver Updates would generally apply to Program Drivers not System Drivers.

But now and again Intel bring out a 'Bios Upgrade Pak' to fine tune the System Dynamics ~ this is somewhat rare. It's really an Engineers/Accountants Laptop and it's very popular in Corporations because of its ruggedness and stability.

Hope this detail is of help concerning a very fine Laptop, but as to Pans & Zooms, 'Frame Rate Adj' is all you have.

Brian.Conflow.

Thanks all for your help, it is great that so many of you are willing to assist.

Thestatic images are perfect - only a problem with panning images.

I have cleaned up everything that was running underneath and it did help but not enough. As I said earlier it does work on my desktop - in fact I made it on the desktop and only found the problme when I tried to show it on my laptop.

I would like to try to adjust the frame rate in display properties - Brian could you guide me through that please.

Many thanks all

Barrie

Barrie,

Being your Acer laptop is quite new in operation ... your Nvidia - Ge Force 8600M GT graphics display properties may need some tweaking/adjustments.

*You also may want to check your current installed Nvidia driver versions to those available at the Nvidia site. I rarely find store bought pcs have the most recent dated drivers installed - usually this requires the user to perform updates once up and running at home.

Open Nvidia Graphic Display Properties :

-Check your Display Mode Timimg

-Check your Performance & Quality Settings

Image Setting : adjust slider control range - High Performance thru Quality (or variations between)

The setting above can show dramatic/immediate results. This may help to achieve that little extra you require.

post-45-1187525878_thumb.jpg

Barrie,

I won't be in my Workshops until Monday after 11:00am as I have a site visit to do.

Check-out what 'Nobeestu' has advised you ~ it will either allow you access

to the Video Controls as shown in Nobeefstu "Attachment" ~ or it won't.

When I return on Monday

I will fire up one of our ACER's and take some shots of the System Manager and

send them to you for comparison with your Vista Laptop and determine if it has

the 'Intel-Bridge-Set' installed. If it has, please be extremely careful, first go into

the 'Display Driver Selection Window' and see if there is a comprehensive List of

Drivers, if there are only a few:-The Intel Generic and Nvidia Set then it has

the Intel-Bridge-Set installed. This will not accept any other Drivers as it is

locked by the Bridge-Set Bios ~ believe me, I have been there !!!!!!!! it won't work

and it will upset the (fixed) USB Root Hub, then you have to restore Factory Defaults.

TIP

When working with ACER's....ALWAYS take ScreenShots of what you are doing

because the is only ONE WAY back home, no options allowed.

Brian.Conflow.

Nobeefstu Thanks for your help - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get access to the Video Controls. I did check the drivers and they are the most recent.

Brian thanks for your offer - I will appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you when you have time.

Many thanks

Barrie

Thanks to all of you who have offered help, unfortunately I think I was expecting too much from my laptop.

The laptops only go to 60 Ghz Refresh Rate and I thought that that might well be the problem. But it actually doesn't help enough when I can change the rate because when I project it I have the choice of going up to 85 and while it is better its still not as good as I had hoped for.

I do appreciate all that all of you give so willingly, if ever I can help I will.

Regards

Barrie