WnSoft Forums

Transition from Desktop

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

I saw an article once, written by Maureen Albright, that seemed to deal with this problem by creating a blank desktop so that when the slide show ended it faded to this 'Blank Desktop' instead of all the usual icons. It may well be what you are looking for. The article is called 'Clear the Decks' and can probably still be downloaded from Maureens web site Here:

Failing that, contact her by email here: Here

Hello again Jenni,

I had another thought about your desktop problem.

If you do want to clear the icons from your desktop so that you have a 'blank page', you might like to take a look at this little program called 'Cleardesk' from Bluefive Software. It allows you to completely clear all icons (including the Recyle Bin) temporarily and then click another button and the icons will all re-appear. Nifty! and it is FREE.

You may find a use for it.

Download it here:

Click on the 'download' link, on the left hand side of the page and then you will see it listed in the 'Quick Menu' which is on the right side of the page.

Both programs are there, i.e. Pixresizer and Cleardesk

Ron

Thanks Ronnie. I did that but still don't see "Cleardesk". Here's the Quick Links list that I get at the site. Very interesting.

Quick Menu

Alarm

ASCIIvalues

Beyondo

BootStatus

DOSname

EmptyDesk

EuroConvert

FontPage

HEXwrite

HTMLcolor

HTMLlink

InTime

IPaddress

Lodger

Mince

PCLoupe

PIXresizer

Recase

RecycleNOW

TABS2spaces

TempLAB

TXTcollector

XSLaunch

Jenni

Like you I also liked the option to start and end a slide show from the desktop, but I was also one of those who felt it should not hold up the development of PTE5.

My view was that while I like it, I could live without it.

However, I know what you mean about the abrupt start of a slide show and attention to detail is important as is first impressions. There are some alternatives and forgive me if you are already aware of these.

You can use a blank black slide or white whatever is appropriate and allow that to be on screen a 3-5 seconds before the show starts or any music begins. It sort of prepares the viewer for the show and in my view its better than an abrupt start. It does have the advantage that we can use a colour or shade of colour that is in keeping with the first slide in the sequence too.

You could also produce a generic mini slide show menu that you could slot onto the front of all your slide shows if you wished. A designed page that maybe has a small introduction to the sequence (text) and a start button. This would be a small completed slide show, albeit using only one image. The button could then be linked to the main slide show. We can fire up another exe show from the buttons within PTE.

So if the page in the mini slide show was basically white, when the button to start the show was pressed the button and any other artwork would disappear leaving the blank white screen screen. I havn't tested this to see if the join between the small intro show and the main show is a good one, but its an option.

Barry

Hi Barry,

The new avatar (picture) looks good mate! (or is that your son?) :)

Ron.

Its me alright, taken in Tenerife a few months ago, but I have lost almost 4 stone in the past year since retireing. Lots of healthy eating and excersize. I swim almost 2 miles about 5 times a week :P

Barry

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

Barry, you must have been reading my mind regarding having a blank slide on the screen for a few seconds before the show starts. I have also done a mini show of one page, like an index page, when I an showing several shows and this works well. It's just a little bit more work but if I can't go straight from the desktop with a smooth transition then this is probably the way to go.

Thanks again, Jenni