WnSoft Forums

Resizing Slides help

MarioG

Much has been said regarding resizing slides, but most of the posts I've read are concerned with resizing

according to ones monitor resolution. Would the same settings be valid when playing the show on a television?

I resize my slides to suit my monitor which is 1280 x 1024 x 72 px. Although looking fine on my monitor, when I play

the show on my tv it looks a little soft. I'd welcome comments on creating slides/SShow to be viewed on a television

set which retains sharpness and crispness.

Mario

Neither PAL nor NTSC are high enough resolution to look anywhere nearly as good as what you get from your executable on your monitor. PAL (you're in Australia?) is 720x576 and NTSC is 720x480. So no matter what you start with the images will be resampled to one of these DVD resolutions. I've found that using 1024x768 works pretty well when downsampled to DVD qualilty, but it still is not nearly as crisp as your monitor at 1280x1024.

The only way to get the quality up to monitor standards is to use one of the new Plasma or LCD HD television receivers and feed it at least 720p (preferably 1080p) which would give you up to two megapixel screen resolution. Of course the problem is getting that resolution in a format amenable to your receiver on compatible media.

You may want to look at Ray's tutorial here:

http://www.peoplesoftheworld.org/audio-visuals.jsp

Best regards,

Lin

Much has been said regarding resizing slides, but most of the posts I've read are concerned with resizing

according to ones monitor resolution. Would the same settings be valid when playing the show on a television?

I resize my slides to suit my monitor which is 1280 x 1024 x 72 px. Although looking fine on my monitor, when I play

the show on my tv it looks a little soft. I'd welcome comments on creating slides/SShow to be viewed on a television

set which retains sharpness and crispness.

Mario

Neither PAL nor NTSC are high enough resolution to look anywhere nearly as good as what you get from your executable on your monitor. PAL (you're in Australia?) is 720x576 and NTSC is 720x480. So no matter what you start with the images will be resampled to one of these DVD resolutions. I've found that using 1024x768 works pretty well when downsampled to DVD qualilty, but it still is not nearly as crisp as your monitor at 1280x1024.

The only way to get the quality up to monitor standards is to use one of the new Plasma or LCD HD television receivers and feed it at least 720p (preferably 1080p) which would give you up to two megapixel screen resolution. Of course the problem is getting that resolution in a format amenable to your receiver on compatible media.

You may want to look at Ray's tutorial here:

http://www.peoplesoftheworld.org/audio-visuals.jsp

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I was wondering how photographers sell thier images when supplying a dvd sldeshow instead of a physical album.

Supplying an album would be more practicle than a slide show in many cases them.

Yes, I'm in Oz.

Mario

Hi Mario,

In my case I don't actually sell photos per se, but rather sell services and do photography "for" our art gallery clients. We use slideshows as demos, but do it all via zipped executables unless the client has a MacIntosh. For those we do high resolution AVI's for demo samples.

I suspect perhaps that people who do wedding photos deliver slideshows via DVD for their clients but probably that is supplemental to the actual printed photos and perhaps used as more of a sales tool than a deliverable. You might ask Barry Beckham about that because I believe he began as a wedding photographer but I don't know if he still does weddings on a regular basis or not.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I was wondering how photographers sell thier images when supplying a dvd sldeshow instead of a physical album.

Supplying an album would be more practicle than a slide show in many cases them.

Yes, I'm in Oz.

Mario

Mario,

I never have been a wedding photographer, I have been a very keen amateur most of my life. Only in the past few years have I earned anything from my photography.

Lin has really covered all the bases. As a photographer, DVD's for TV viewing don't appeal to me at all and its for the very quality reason you mentioned and what Lin explained.

Our slide shows are made at low resolution compared with what we would want for a 20*16 print. However, 1280*1024/1024*768 or thereabouts gives us a superb image for viewing on a monitor or via a PC projector.

You have to decide if the trade off in quality between DVD/TV use and PC is worth it. I tend to think it isn't for much of what professionals and amateurs produce. Most of the time when we are presenting our images we want them displayed at their absolute best, so why buy a camera capable of 11 million pixels and then present the image at less than half a million pixels on a TV. Most people have a PC in their home now or at least access to one and the numbers are growing all the time.

I would only use th DVD/TV method if there was no other option. Providing DVD's to wedding parties is as Lin says is generally an added extra to the wedding packages, but a popular one.

If I was presenting my work via a slide show to the brides aunt Matilda, a DVD would probably be OK, but if I were presenting work to a Magazine editor I would not even consider a DVD.

HD TV will improve all this in time I guess.

A DVD slideshow is a standard deliverable for my bridal clients. Extra copies are extra cost. I put a copy of a 1024x768 .exe of the same slideshow on the DVD for use on a PC. We try to premier the DVD show to clients on our HD TV so they can see it at its best TV quality. I have yet to have a client complain about the DVD show.

With PTE v5 we are able to introduce effects that were not possible before. Thanks to all of you who have shared your templates and skills with the PTE community. I may not contribute to the forum frequently but I monitor it daily and learn from all your exchanges and examples.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! This is my first post, although I've been pouring over the forum for days/weeks! I've just been asked to do a 40th birthday slideshow for a paying customer. To date, I've been using PSP, but am liking PTE much better, although I'm still in the middle of the learning curve.

Anyhoo, back to the question about resizing. In PSP, I just used my original images, picked an aspect ratio of 16:9 or 4:3 and let PSP do the math. I suspect that isn't the best way to go in PTE. Since I am only going to be displaying this slideshow on a DVD, I understand that 720x480 is the highest resolution that will be displayed. However, how do these resizing standards change for widescreen viewing? Should I be resizing my original pictures to something else to get the most out of my widescreen TV at 16:9? I will want to do some zooms, so should I start with a higher resolution image? HELP! I'm short on time, so I'm looking to just batch resize and go for it!

Thanks in advance!

Kim

ETA: Right now my pics are scans at 300dpi, so some are quite large, file size-wise. I know I will need to resize, so am trying to get the "optimal" starting size, so as not to have to batch process several times.