WnSoft Forums

Probem with Vista

ALBERT BURROWS

Hi

I am fairly new to the world of AV but have managed to create some shows which ran well on my PC which has XP installed. I bought a laptop so that I could show them away from. It has Vista Premium installed I now find that when a show is finished it fails to close down and message tells me that the program is not responding. I was convinced that it was something I was doing wrong but recently found someone else with the same problem. So the question arises. Are we both doing something wrong as neither of us is particularly knowledgeable about computers? Or is there a problem with Vista running Pictures to Exe.

Any advice would be appreciated. Even it is too tell us we are a couple of old idiots!

Thanks

Albert B

Hi Albert,

You're not alone. I run a laptop under Windows XP and a Desktop under Windows Vista. I too have discovered that exe files created under PTEv4 on the laptop that run perfectly on the laptop (with closure after the last slide) do not close properly under Windows Vista. Since I now build under PTEv4 or PTEv5 on the desktop and then copy the exe to the laptop for presentation to audiences I am not unduly concerned. But I agree with you. There does seem to be a problem here somewhere.

Hi Albert,

You're not alone. I run a laptop under Windows XP and a Desktop under Windows Vista. I too have discovered that exe files created under PTEv4 on the laptop that run perfectly on the laptop (with closure after the last slide) do not close properly under Windows Vista. Since I now build under PTEv4 or PTEv5 on the desktop and then copy the exe to the laptop for presentation to audiences I am not unduly concerned. But I agree with you. There does seem to be a problem here somewhere.

Hello Peter

Thanks for your reply. I feel better now that I know someone else shares my problem of shows not closing in Vista. At least I don't feel so frustrated at my knowledge of computing. Now I hope that some of those experts on the forum whom I envy for their knowledge might come up with a solution.

I really appreciate the information that is passed between members even though most of it is lost on me!They really are the most friendly and unselfish enthusiasts on any forum that I have come across.

Albert

Albert,

Peter,

Please tell more about it.

1) Do you have this problem when click "Preview" button in version 5.0?

2) Does the problem happen always when you attempt to close slideshow or not always/rarely?

3) Does it happens when you try to exit from a slideshow by hitting Esc button, or when slideshows reaches the end of a show? It's an important moment for us.

4) Please install latest updated drivers for your graphical card. It's very important, because included drivers for graphical card to Vista not well optimized and often with bugs.

5) Also describe a name and configuration (shortly) of your laptops with Windows Vista.

6) If it still didn't help, may we send you special test version of PicturesToExe which will help to find the reason of this problem and probably quickly fix it?

I didn't hear about this problem before, but we will try find a solution.

Igor,

I don't believe what is happening to me! I have experienced the problem several times but now cannot recreate it. (As an ex-IT professional of over 30 years experience I just hate intermittent problems!! They're so hard to pin down)

However I will describe my circumstances to you. My equipment is as follows:

Laptop spec:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

1GB RAM

Intel Pentium M processor running at 1.60GHz

Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (dont know how much RAM, don't know how to find out)

Desktop spec:

Compaq Presario

Windows Vista Home Premium

2GB RAM

Intel Core2 Duo Processors running at 2.33GHz

NVidia GeForce 8400 GS (not sure how much memory and don't know how to find out)

In my case, the files which exhibited the problem were all exe files that had been copied from the laptop to the desktop. All the exe files that exhibited the problem were created on the laptop using PTE V4 (various levels up to and including 4.47). These exe files were created over a period of some 24 months. This problem is not, so far as I know, associated with sequences that have been built using either PTE v4 or PTE v5 under Windows Vista on the Desktop system. As far as I know, exe files created under Vista and then copied to the laptop play correctly on both systems.

The symptom of the problem is that when the exe file (that was originally created on the laptop) is run under Windows Vista on the desktop, it comes to a halt at the final slide (a black slide) and then just sits there. When the same exe file is run on the laptop everything behaves correctly.

I have 22 separate sequences totalling over 6 hours running time. Because the problem seems to have vanished, I'm going to have to run through all of them on both systems to find which of them (if any) still exhibit the problem. I'll get back to you as soon as I find one that shows the problem - preferably one that consistently shows the problem. But this is clearly going to take me several days to complete.

regards,

Peter

Hi All,

I have this problem on an 'intermittent' occasion where a 'PTE Slideshow Exe' has been imported

from another PC or Laptop via a Memory-Pen and sometimes from a CD-Disc.

I made an investigation and traced this back to the PC Registry and found the following:-

When you 1st. import and then run a 'self-contained Exe' some Windows Systems fail to 'un-hook' from

the Program Exe even thought the Program itself has shut down. (Win '98se- Win 2000 -Win Xp)

Getting back to Windows ~ Windows is designed to generate a 'File of Types' entry into its Registry

for every loaded Program, but it can only do this if the Program is designed to make an entry when first

loaded on to the PC. Otherwise it requires a 'Close-down' and then a 'Re-Start' to do this job effectively.

However when you 1st.Load and then 1st.Run a 'self-contained Exe' no entry is made to the File of Types so

Windows will 'hang' because it recognises a Foreign Exe but it has no corresponding 'File of Type' reference

to start the initiation of the Exit/Excape function....so it hangs there waiting for a Restart sequence.

Note.1:- It happens 98% of time on Host PC's with no PTE Program and no Autorun was used.

Note.2:- Task Manager won't work because there is no reference 'File of Type' to shut down.

Remedy:- Shut-down your PC and Re-Start or alternatively us a proper 'Auto-Run Program' which uses the

PTE Icon and generates proper .Dat Files so that 'File of Type' is registered ~ then no problems !

Brian.Conflow.

(See sample below)

post-1416-1190593738_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I have this problem on an 'intermittent' occasion where a 'PTE Slideshow Exe' has been imported

from another PC or Laptop via a Memory-Pen and sometimes from a CD-Disc.

I made an investigation and traced this back to the PC Registry and found the following:-

When you 1st. import and then run a 'self-contained Exe' some Windows Systems fail to 'un-hook' from

the Program Exe even thought the Program itself has shut down. (Win '98se- Win 2000 -Win Xp)

Getting back to Windows ~ Windows is designed to generate a 'File of Types' entry into its Registry

for every loaded Program, but it can only do this if the Program is designed to make an entry when first

loaded on to the PC. Otherwise it requires a 'Close-down' and then a 'Re-Start' to do this job effectively.

However when you 1st.Load and then 1st.Run a 'self-contained Exe' no entry is made to the File of Types so

Windows will 'hang' because it recognises a Foreign Exe but it has no corresponding 'File of Type' reference

to start the initiation of the Exit/Excape function....so it hangs there waiting for a Restart sequence.

Note.1:- It happens 98% of time on Host PC's with no PTE Program and no Autorun was used.

Note.2:- Task Manager won't work because there is no reference 'File of Type' to shut down.

Remedy:- Shut-down your PC and Re-Start or alternatively us a proper 'Auto-Run Program' which uses the

PTE Icon and generates proper .Dat Files so that 'File of Type' is registered ~ then no problems !

Brian.Conflow.

(See sample below)

Hello Brian,

I read your reply with interest even though as yet I don't run Vista.

I'm computer savy but not as much as I'd like to be. Could you elaborate more on your 'remedy'?

paritcularly the part about the 'auto run program' you mention so to clarify my understanding.

Regards,

Mario

Brian,

If your explanation is the correct one and if I understand you correctly, I should not find any more problems with my current sequences as the desktop system has been re-booted several times since they were transferred on to it. Over the next week or so I'll run each sequence just to be sure. Also, if I create a new exe on the laptop and then copy that over to the desktop that should then hit the problem, shouldn't it?

Should I also expect to hit the problem going the other way - from desktop under Vista to laptop under XP? If so, then I'm going to hit it everytime I make a new sequence or modify an existing one, aren't I?

Igor,

Brian's explanation might fit my circumstances. I'll need time (quite a bit of it!) to check each sequence out. I will come back to you on this thread once I've done my checks.

Brian/Igor,

Further to my post immediately above, I've been able to do a little more testing...

I struck lucky with the first sequence I tried. I was fairly sure I hadn't tried to execute this file on the desktop previously. When I ran it on the desktop PC under Vista it worked perfectly all the way to the end - and then just sat there with the final black slide on the screen.

Pressing ESC didn't have any effect. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del brought up a list of options, one of which was to Start Task Manager. I did this and it showed that the sequence was no longer responding. I selected the sequence and did End Task - and the task ended.

I then ran the same sequence again without rebooting the desktop PC. It ran through successfully and stopped normally.

It looks to me as though each PTE exe file that I copy from the XP-based laptop back to the Vista-based desktop system will have to be "manhandled" through this process in order to get all the relevant information into the registry on Vista.

I now need to set up a little test taking a PTE exe file from the desktop system to the laptop to see if the same problem occurs going in that direction.

Will post again when I have the results.

Well, that was easy! I had a very short PTEv5 demo sequence that I had built ready to give to my local photgraphic society. This had been built under Windows Vista on the desktop system. I knew it had never been copied to the laptop. I created a new exe file and used a memory stick to transfer this exe file to the laptop. I then executed the sequence on the laptop. No problems whatsoever.

It looks to me as if I get the problem only when taking exe files from the XP-based laptop to the Vista-based desktop PC.

To summarise:

- when taking an exe file that was created using PTEv4 under Windows XP and running it for the first time under Windows Vista it hangs at the end of the sequence. Using Task Manager to end the non-responding task clears the condition and all subsequent executions of this file then run OK.

- when taking an exe file that was created using PTEv5 under Windows Vista and running it under Windows XP there is no problem.

Igor, are there any other checks you would like me to do?

Peter,

Please read my Post again very carefully ~ I said "Closedown and then Restart your PC"

so the PTE.Exe will be registered to the File of Types. Futhermore when you use Task Manager to

close a Program you are actually involking a "Mini-System Reset" which is a fast Restart.

As I said the Task Managers on older PCs may not work when compared to the new Vista version.

Memory-Pens have come a long,long way in the past 2 years so has the USB Technology which runs

them. Modern XP-SP2 and indeed 2000-SP1 and Vista PCs have an advanced USB Root Hub which

treats Memory-Pens as external Hard Drives with all the associated advantages of Hi-Speed Replay

from the Pen itself. Vista may auto-create a 'File of Types' for the contents of the Memory Pen but I

can assure you the converse is not true when dealing with XPs and 2000s ~ these need a Restart to

register a File of Types entry into the Registry.

Auto-Start Programs:- I have posted on this subject many,many,times before and I included a

Snap-Shot with my last Post as to what it looks like and a Note as to what the Files do and how they

register the PTE Exe to the PCs' File of Types. Whereas a simple 'self-written' autorun script pasted

into the root of a CD-Disc to make it run will not necessarily register the Exe to the 'File of Types'.

Now having said that...You don't know what PC you have at your disposal in the Camera Club and

other PCs elsewhere, but you do want the PTE Exe to run on ALL PCs you come across. There is only

one way of doing that, create a Folder like the example I gave previously and load your Exe plus the

3 additional Autorun Files into that Folder. When you encounter any PC simply load the Folder into it

and it should auto-start and auto-run the Program without 'hanging' the Host PC.

Here below is a "Link" to a comprehensive 'Auto-Run Program' which will execute properly on all PCs.

Link:- http://www.rjlsoftware.com

Brian.Conflow.

Peter,

A very strange problem, I'm really wondered. I'll try to reproduce this situation.

Please explain me how your desktop and laptop connected (Wi-fi network) and how you copied file from one PC to another one (in Windows Explorer or you use 3rd party file manager)?

As I've understood no problem with EXE files created in v5.00?

Brian,

As I've understood this problem should not happens if EXE file downloaded from Internet, or downloaded ZIP archive unpacked and EXE file extracted?

Hi Igor,

Yes, you are absolutely correct ~ the problem does not occur when the EXE is downloaded from the Internet

nor when extracted from a Pdf.File.

I think this is because the PC recognises the "Parent-Child" association as the Internet is part of the Op System and a Pdf.File is a Universal Document Transmission format, again a "Parent-Child" association.

In fact when the 'Host PC' has an origional PTE Exe installed on it or the PTE Program itself, the problem never occurs because again of the "Parent-Child" association.

The problem mostly occurs when user's simply "drop" the Pte.Exe File on to the Desktop or into the Op.System and in many cases this "Hangs" the PC when the File has runs and then closes.

I think if the PTE Exe had a Universal Dat File or Application pointer installed within its Code which self-executes during the Show this would resolve the problem....that's just a thought, but you can't please everybody.

Brian.

Igor,

The desktop and laptop computers are not connected at all at present. The files are transferred between the two computers by simple Copy and Paste commands in Windows Explorer using a 512MB USB2 Memory Stick as the transfer medium.

The only test that I have done involving PTEv5 has been to create a PTEv5 exe on the desktop, copy that to the laptop and then execute it on the laptop. It worked with no problem.

I used to use the laptop both for building and for running the sequences. Now I use the desktop for building and checking the sequences and the laptop only for taking them out "on the road" to show to an audience. So, I do not anticipate any further problems in this area.

This is the first time I've been on the receiving end of your "after sales customer service" and I am well impressed. Thanks.

PETER

as a further test, next time you go on the"road" take your laptop with a working show with the same show on a stick - possibly you might be able to test it on quite a few other systems at the venue you are at.

this will give you some background on the other systems that may be useful to not only yourself but the rest of the group and this forum

ken

Brian,

Thanks for your two very detailed posts above. I think I've understood all of the gist of them and even some of the technical details (I know I indicated earlier in this thread that I had over 30 years IT experience but that was on large IBM mainframe systems - not PCs).

Until a few weeks ago I built the exe files and also ran them on the laptop. A few weeks ago I bought a desktop on which I now do all the PTE building and creating. The only use the laptop gets is to present the sequences to audiences via my digital projector. So, as you can see, I don't need to be able to run the sequences on any PC - just on my laptop. And this I can do with no problems.

The only reason I noticed the problem was because I was checking some of the exe files after the "master folder" contents had been copied from the laptop to the desktop.

I shutdown the systems each night except the one night each week when the Norton Anti-Virus full system scan takes place followed by the full system backup. So this behaviour pattern will have further masked some of the effects from me.

A very interesting thread as it is relevant to how I run PTE shows at the local camera club and other places. I haven't personally struck the problem yet, but Brian's autorun program interests me.

One question I have is this. I usually have several PTE shows on a 1 GB flash drive, and if I understand autoruns, you can't have more than one autorun program on a flash drive or a CD.

So, can an autorun program handle a menu system from which a choice of PTE program to run can be made, and can the program be made to invoke the autorun again so as to select another PTE program?

Colin

Colin,

In answer to your query, There are 5 distinct situations as described below:-

1)

Autorun Programs are implanted into a CD-Disc in order to make it run properly when the CD is inserted into

the CD-Drive, this is somewhat like a Music CD which starts playing when inserted into the CD-Drive.

2)

Yes the Autorun can start a primary PTE Exe on a CD within which you can have many other Exe's which can be manually selected from a simple Menu or alternatively the primary Exe can activate all the other Exe's in sequence with a pause before each and you can have a Start Screen on each with a Run and Exit Button.

3)

Memory-Pen Autorun:- Currently I am searching for a 'Mass-Storage Autorun Program' which will emulate the same working factorials as those found on a CD-Disc with autorun. This would allow the same functionality as one would experience with a PTE.Exe Program running from a CD-Disc with autorun.

I have an experimental Program up and running but I need to find a Commercial program for comparison purposes.

4)

Item 3 (above) would give the PTE Slideshow a spectacular performance as a consequence of freeing it from the 'speed-stability-constraints' and the memory constraints imposed with a mechanical CD-Drive System.

5)

I have done many Test's on Laptops running a 35mB Show (inc Music) running directly from a Memory-Pen and as you know many Laptops run perfectly with a Memory-Pen compared to the CD-Drive where they freeze-up.

Hope this is of some help to you...

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Everyone

When I first contacted the forum looking for advice I didn't realise what a discussion would ensue. I have been reading the correspondence relating too it but have to admit that I don't have the knowledge to really follow it in practice.

I did try Igor's? suggestion of updating my graphic card driver which was something new too me. Having updated the driver I then played the CD that I was having problems with. I have eight shows on the CD and on running seven of them consecutively without any problem I was quite relieved, until I ran the last one and back came the problem failing to close. The following day I repeated the procedure this time the results were intermittent failures. So my problem still exists.

All of my show have been created on Version 4.48 or earlier on my PC running XP and ran perfectly. I have now ran the CD on friend's laptop with XP installed and all ran without any problem.

The laptop specification requested is:

Dell Inspiron 6400 dual core processorT500 1.60GHz

1024mb 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM

256mb Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 Turbo Cache

Vista Home Premium

I only know these details by consulting the invoice that came with the laptop!

I see from Peter's latest input that he is also having intermittent problems. So now I have to find someone with computer savvy to assist me in putting the information available into practice.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to provide an answer. What a can of worms I seem to have opened and all because I thought I might be alone with this problem

Thanks again

Albert

Albert,

As I've understood the problem happens only with one particular EXE file? And other seven slideshows always exit normally?

What file size of this (8th) EXE file which cause the problem?

Please keep copy of this EXE file.

On this PC with Vista, start PicturesToExe, open project file of this slideshow and in main menu choose "Create As" and save new EXE file with absolutely another name. Say "My new slideshow". How it will work now?

Albert,

Having read your most recent post it strikes me that your situation is remarkably close to mine. If I understand you properly, you only have trouble when exe files that were created under PTEv4 on Windows XP are transferred to a PC running under Windows Vista Home Premium. In your case you are running the exe files off a CD; in my case I copied them on to the hard disk of the Vista machine. I now find that after "fighting" each sequence through the problem once it then runs cleanly thereafter. In my case I am convinced I am experiencing the sort of situation that Brian Conflow described in his first post to this thread.

Have you tried copying your exe files to the hard disk of the Vista PC and running them from there?

As an aside it is usually a good idea to run exe files from either memory stick or hard disk rather than CD. The CD, by comparison to the other two devices, is a very slow device and running off CD can occasionally give rise to some unexpected problems.

Albert,

Let me see if I have got this right ?...You have 8.Shows which run O.K on your XP-PC and 7 of these run

perfectly on your Vista-PC...except for "rogue" Show number 8....is this correct ?

Just a few questions ~ space provided for answers between lines:-

1)

How are you running these 8.Shows on your XP ~ From the CD ? ...OR...from the XP Hard Drive ?

2)

On the Vista-PC are you running the "Pte Shows" from the CD-Disc after inserting it into the CD-Drive?

2)

Or are you "dragging" each individual Show on to the Vista Desktop Screen and running it from there ?

3)

Or are you loading the contents of the CD-Disc on to the Vista PC and then running them off the PC ?

4)

If you are loading the CD-Disc on to the Vista-PC how are you doing this ? or are you depending

on the PC to do that for you ?

5)

You do not say which version of PTE you are running on your Vista PC ~ or indeed do you have

PTE installed on the Vista PC at all ?

6)

What type of Music Files do you have in each Show ? ~ Mp3,Wav,Wma or what ?

Some more specific detail would be most helpful in trying to resolve your issues...particularily concerning

Show No:8...How many Images ?...what size is the largest Image ?...what are the Music Files ?

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your interest in my problem Before trying to answer your questions may I give a brief recap.

After updating the graphic card as advised I ran my CD. All shows ran until the last one. The following day I ran them again only to find that the problem had arisen again. Since then I have ran them several times and each time the problem appears with different show. It is very intermittent and unpredictable. Just as well I am retired and have nothing better to do to pass my time. So to answer your questions Brian I will try as best I can. I can only ask your forbearance if it does not make sense too you.

Albert,

Let me see if I have got this right ?...You have 8.Shows which run O.K on your XP-PC and 7 of these run

perfectly on your Vista-PC...except for "rogue" Show number 8....is this correct ?

Just a few questions ~ space provided for answers between lines:-

1)

How are you running these 8.Shows on your XP ~ From the CD ? ...OR...from the XP Hard Drive ?

2) I am running them from the CD

On the Vista-PC are you running the "Pte Shows" from the CD-Disc after inserting it into the CD-Drive?

2) I run them after inserting the CD into the Drive

Or are you "dragging" each individual Show on to the Vista Desktop Screen and running it from there ?

3)

Or are you loading the contents of the CD-Disc on to the Vista PC and then running them off the PC ?

4)

If you are loading the CD-Disc on to the Vista-PC how are you doing this ? or are you depending

on the PC to do that for you ?

I have loaded the CD manually.

5)

You do not say which version of PTE you are running on your Vista PC ~ or indeed do you have

PTE installed on the Vista PC at all ?

6) I have versions 4.48 and 5 installed. However I have never used them to create a show. All my shows have been made on my XP PC

What type of Music Files do you have in each Show ? ~ Mp3,Wav,Wma or what ?

My music files are Mp3.

The last show which always gives me problems consists of 47 slides plus a blank slide at either end. The music is Mp3 and it is 11.7mb in size.

I hope this makes some sort of sense too you and does not confuse you even more! Once again my sincere thanks too you and too all who have contributed to the topic.

Regards

Albert

Some more specific detail would be most helpful in trying to resolve your issues...particularily concerning

Show No:8...How many Images ?...what size is the largest Image ?...what are the Music Files ?

Brian.Conflow.

Albert,

Yes I have got the picture ~ this problem is intermittent and seems to happen in a random way

with each of the 8 Shows ~ No:8 Show being more effected that the others and you are running

the Shows from the CD-Disc solely.

At 1st. assumption it seems to be a dicey CD-Drive or the CD itself may be dirty or has a

small scratch on its playing surface, check carefully as "Combo CD Player/Burner Drives" are ultra

critical to CD defects more so than simple CD Player Drives. Now for some Tests.

1) Insert any Commercial Music CD -play this- and listen very carefully and see if there are any

"skipped" Tracks or "jumps" within the Music on any Track. If this happens the CD Drive is in trouble.

2) If all is O.K with the Music CD remove it and reinsert your PTE CD. Do not Play the CD simply

double-click on the "My Computer" Icon on your Desktop and find the CD-Drive in question.

3) Double click on the CD-Drive Icon and the CD-Disc will open up. Now you need to drag the Shows

from the Disc into My Documents with the RH.Mouse Key then select-->Copy-->them into My Documents.

4) When the job is done, play each Show individually from "My Documents"- you are now Playing these

off the Vista Hard Drive. Now check each in turn for defects -if any- take some Notes .

Let me know how you get on ?....

Brian.Conflow.