WnSoft Forums

DVD Burn Time

felix1

Okay, I'll admit that my computer is rather old, a three-year-old Dell with 1.5 meg of RAM and with a basic grahics card, but boy, I was still amazed to find that burning a DVD with only two slide shows, each of which were less than 17 minutes long, took NINE HOURS! Yikes. :(

I'm assuming that I really, really need to upgrade the graphics card, right? And so my question is: which one would you guys recommend? I also do a lot of Photoshop work, although PS does seem to work fine with my lowly current card, so doubt that is a consideration.

Thanks, Felix

Encoding of DVD with PicturesToExe requires powerful videocard.

What video card installed in your laptop? Or please let me know model of the laptop.

Next version 5.1 will work much faster on modern video cards issused for PCs after 2002. Laptops often ship with low speed graphic card, but I think version 5.1 will work much faster on many laptops issued during last 2 years.

Encoding of DVD with PicturesToExe requires powerful videocard.

What video card installed in your laptop? Or please let me know model of the laptop.

Next version 5.1 will work much faster on modern video cards issused for PCs after 2002. Laptops often ship with low speed graphic card, but I think version 5.1 will work much faster on many laptops issued during last 2 years.

Igor:

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a laptop; I have a Dell Desktop, Model 8200, 1.5 gig RAM, and the video card is 64MB Invidia GForce2 MX.

Thanks for additional information about your PC!

I didn't expect that Dell still installed Geforce 2 MX even 1,5 year ago. I'm sorry, but it's very slow video card for PicturesToExe.

If you upgrade to Geforce 7600GS or higher, VideoBuilder will work on 500% faster. Next version 5.1 will additionally speeds up on 200-300%. And encoding of 17 minute's slideshow will take about 35 minutes.

Thanks for additional information about your PC!

I didn't expect that Dell still installed Geforce 2 MX even 1,5 year ago. I'm sorry, but it's very slow video card for PicturesToExe.

If you upgrade to Geforce 7600GS or higher, VideoBuilder will work on 500% faster. Next version 5.1 will additionally speeds up on 200-300%. And encoding of 17 minute's slideshow will take about 35 minutes.

Actually, my Dell is about 3 years old (antique!). The new graphics board sounds excellent, but perhaps it is time for a new computer (if my wife is not looking... :rolleyes: ). Thanks!

Actually, my Dell is about 3 years old (antique!). The new graphics board sounds excellent, but perhaps it is time for a new computer (if my wife is not looking... :rolleyes: ). Thanks!

-------

UPDATE: Just ordered a new Dell XPS with a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS. Woo hoo, Christmas came early!

read whole thread but most important SEE ITEM 4

and make sure you have the space req'd

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=42952

ken

Ken,

Well, I don't think that will be a problem with the new computer: C: will have 360 gigs! But thanks for the heads up. btw, I discovered that both Dell and Gateway are suffering some kind of supply problem and neither can deliver my new machine until well into the first week of November. I ended up going with Gateway as they offered an extra meg of RAM (total of 3 megs) and a better graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB Dual DVI) for $100 less than the comprable Dell. So, it will be a few weeks before I can post about the improved DVD burning. But, I've heard that patience is a virtue, right?

--Felix

QUOTE" I ended up going with Gateway as they offered an extra meg of RAM (total of 3 megs) "

HOPE YOU MEAN A TOTAL OF 3 GB RAM :)

Patience is the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties.

Impatience is an opposite of patience.

KEN

QUOTE" I ended up going with Gateway as they offered an extra meg of RAM (total of 3 megs) "

HOPE YOU MEAN A TOTAL OF 3 GB RAM :)

Patience is the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties.

Impatience is an opposite of patience.

KEN

Ken,

Oh, yeah, that's me, alright: I ALWAYS endure waiting, delay, or provacation without becoming annoyed.... just ask my long-suffering wife!

And yes, of course you are right: 3 GIGS of RAM. In haste I often run afoul of those pesky 3-letter acronyms. Just when you get comfy with Kbytes, along comes MEGS, then along comes GIGS, and now we will have to start dealing with terabytes... and what is that to be: TERS ? Tbytes? Ah, technology. Onward and upward. ;)

--Felix

• 5 weeks later...
Please leave in this topic results of DVD encoding with your new PC.

Igor,

I have now received my new computer. It is a Core 2 Duo with 3 Gigs Ram, and, most importantly for PicturesToExe, a great video card: the Invidia GeForce 8500GT with 512 Megs of Ram.

I used the new 5.10 version of PicturesToExe to render and burn the same two shows that took NINE HOURS on my old (very old: 4+ years!) Dell. On the new machine, these same two shows took almost exactly 30 MINUTES! Woooooieee! Amazing! So, sir, your prediction was absolutely correct: with a modern computer and video card, PicturesToExe really, really FLIES! Thanks so much for your good work. Keep it up!

--Felix

Felix,

I'm very glad!

I also recently bought new home PC based on Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66 GHz), 2 GB RAM and NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT 512 MB and now with version 5.1 Beta encoding of PteShow slideshow (1:26) takes 46 seconds. In other words, VideoBuilder encodes it in two times faster than duration of this slideshow. Of course, same picture quality as in v5.00