WnSoft Forums

Back (almost!) in business

JohnFeg

Dear members,

I have been out of circulation for 3 months. We moved to a small village in Crete in September and I have only this week got back on line (via a satellite link as telephone lines here are rare as frogs teeth). Although our feet havn't yet really come to earth, I'm trying to pick up the threads and get my head round what's new in V.5

In due course, I'll put together a short slideshow about where we live. For now, let it suffice to say that the temperature here today was 25C and the sea is still warm enough for swimming. For now here's a photograph taken from our new house. If anyone can explain the seemingly inverted lighting effect I'd be obliged.

Best wishes

John Fegan

post-2604-1196194528_thumb.jpg

Welcome back John!

The lighting effect might be partly explained by the use of fill light in software. Did you by any chance use Adobe Camera RAW and "fill light"?

Best regards,

Lin

Dear members,

I have been out of circulation for 3 months. We moved to a small village in Crete in September and I have only this week got back on line (via a satellite link as telephone lines here are rare as frogs teeth). Although our feet havn't yet really come to earth, I'm trying to pick up the threads and get my head round what's new in V.5

In due course, I'll put together a short slideshow about where we live. For now, let it suffice to say that the temperature here today was 25C and the sea is still warm enough for swimming. For now here's a photograph taken from our new house. If anyone can explain the seemingly inverted lighting effect I'd be obliged.

Best wishes

John Fegan

Welcome back John!

The lighting effect might be partly explained by the use of fill light in software. Did you by any chance use Adobe Camera RAW and "fill light"?

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

It's nice to be back. Apologies for the 2nd posting, I'm a bit out of touch with things!

The picture was taken in RAW but I didn't use "fill light" the effect could be seen with the naked eye and is clear in the RAW file. It gives the impression that the sun is shining from the wrong direction!

John

Hi John,

Welcome back ~ and as you said..yes,you're out of touch..because I can't see that Photo on

my Laptop, its 36"x25" in size....aahhh give us a chance, we do have the New PTE 5x but we

have'nt got around to the New Foldable Laptop yet ~ I wish !

Best of luck in your New Home...

Brian.Conflow.

Hi John,

Sorry, I was looking at a different portion of the image - the trees surrounded by a slight halo which can sometimes happen when fill light is used.

I think the lighter at the top with crepuscular sun rays converging inward rather than outward is explained by the extremely heavy, dense, low cloud cover. I've seen this effect after a storm in Tahiti when dark, moisture laden air surrounds an area heated by the land mass. The cool air clings to the surrounding water while heat rising from previously warmed land and vegetation clears an area above the land causing a funnel shaped corridor which creates a path for the sunlight following the funnel shape.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

It's nice to be back. Apologies for the 2nd posting, I'm a bit out of touch with things!

The picture was taken in RAW but I didn't use "fill light" the effect could be seen with the naked eye and is clear in the RAW file. It gives the impression that the sun is shining from the wrong direction!

John

Hi John,

Welcome back ~ and as you said..yes,you're out of touch..because I can't see that Photo on

my Laptop, its 36"x25" in size....aahhh give us a chance, we do have the New PTE 5x but we

have'nt got around to the New Foldable Laptop yet ~ I wish !

Best of luck in your New Home...

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian, depending on your browser, you can hit the '-' key to reduce the size of the screen image so it fits on your screen, and the "+" key to increase. Opera does this, and so does Firefox. I don't know about IE since I never use it.

Hang on, I think you are using a Mac - I know nothing about Macs, but maybe their browser does likewise.

Colin.

STOP PRESS: I just tried it in Firefox and it doesn't seem to work there, but it definitely does with Opera.