WnSoft Forums

This May Be the ONE

Casey

Folks,

You may want to take a look at this short article: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...us_030531181432

While $850 for ONLY the body of a camera may seem ridiculously expensive to some, compare it with the price of other prosumer/professional camera bodies. ALso, it's a product of Olympus and Kodak, so odds are that it will be a quality product. A few notes of interest with this camera... it's the first of the "4/3" format of cameras where you'll be able to use your 35 mm lenses. It uses an interesting "ultrasonic cleaning" system every time it is turned on to knock off any dust that may have gotten on the sensor. It is physically smaller (thank goodness!) than some of the other mammoth DSLRs.

This camera may be the one that opens up professional level digital photography to the masses. I have yet to see any full size images that it has captured, but if they are in a league with the new Canon, sign me up!

Thanks Casey for being a messenger of such good news. Just yesterday I was web-pricing such annimals. I couldn't believe how they have held the price up so high. I don't suppose the Olympus-Kodak product would be able to use lens stock of Nikon, Canon, Minolta etc.? But even if "no", the Kodak-Oly would certainly light a flame under other manufacturers I guess.

maybe Tamron

http://www.tamron.com/

will come out with a lens mount if enough of the mfg.'s get on the band wagon but this technology is moving so fast it may not be practical for them

SLR technology/deveolpment did not move anywhere near this fast -- look at all the brands that used the Pentax screw mount :unsure:

ken

Ken:

What do you mean "used" the pentax screw mount :unsure: ?????

I still use my Pentax Spotmatic IIs from time to time. If the batteries runout, you keep on shooting, they are rugged, they have never needed repairs for 35 years and several 1000 rolls.

(I have not gone digital yet, shooting Canon AE2 mainly now, but thinking of the Canon 10D.)

This new 4/3 format and agreement with several manufacturers sounds interesting, but it reminds me of the introduction of APS and we know where that is today.

well i thought that the early practika,miranda and a Russian brand to name a couple odd ones used the Pentax mount -likely my memory is wrong - Chinon, Mamiya, Ricoh used the K mount [according to my late '70s early 80's Toronto Camera and Henry's catalogues ] which i believe was the Pentax mount

ken

Ken, your're right, the Pentax screw mount was a real classic (I remember when the new-fangled Nikon bayonet mounts were considered inferior because they would "loosen up" with time, and not focus as sharply. :P )

My first camera was a Pentax, too, but when it was stolen, I moved on to Nikon which I have been using ever since.

Re the new digital back, it used to be that one would buy cheaper Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar lenses to go with the expensive camera backs; now it's a matter of wanting a cheaper digital back to go with the expensive lenses. :unsure:

who knows what is the most important now --

i used to get a newsletter from

Lisle•Kelco Limited

http://www.like.ca/

and the stuff that is available today is mind boggling for the average person

we thought bayonet mounts were the end all -- do you remember the first time you were changing lenses and didnt line up the dots right :unsure: