WnSoft Forums

Volume control?

stonemason

Can anyone recommend a small mixer / volume control to place between the computer and speakers to enable the control of slideshow volume whilst it is being projected. Must be UK available.

thanks

Geoff

Geoff,

I just happen to be on Forum right now and saw your query:

Quoted

"...Volume control to place between the computer and speakers to enable the control of slideshow "...

Thats a strange query:- Could you be more specific, are you running your Speakers from the PC ??

or from an Amplifier connected to your PC ??

Brian.Conflow.

Hello,

here is a rather odd solution under Win XP for changing the volume of Line Out while watching a show:

1. Start the Volume Control and leave the small window open.
  2. Start PTE show
  3. While show is running, press Alt and Tab, choosing Volume Control Icon: Volume Control Window will appear, show will freeze.
  4. Change volume. Problem: you do not hear anything as show has frozen.
  5. Use mouse to reactivate your show.

Not a very clever solution, but ....

Kind regards

Xaver H.

Munich

Geoff,

I just happen to be on Forum right now and saw your query:

Quoted

"...Volume control to place between the computer and speakers to enable the control of slideshow "...

Thats a strange query:- Could you be more specific, are you running your Speakers from the PC ??

or from an Amplifier connected to your PC ??

Brian.Conflow.

Brian, whats your advice for adding an amp to power the speakers, verses using the laptop? Would you purchase a sound card (better card than what is installed) to slide into the slot or just go through a amp. If its an amp, and I need it to be portable to go with my new AE M system speakers, for slide shows in different size rooms. Thanks Bill

Hi Geoff, I use for this purpose the Samson C-Control for more than 2 years now and never had any problem with this little amplifier. Price here in Europe is about 125 euro. I use the device during my slideshows placed between my laptop and Fostex speakers and that's sufficient for a hall with about 100-150 visitors.

The C-Control is designed and engineered in the USA by Samson Technologies.

gr.

Henri. :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a small mixer / volume control to place between the computer and speakers to enable the control of slideshow volume whilst it is being projected. Must be UK available.

thanks

Geoff

Hello Geoff,

If you are running your sequences from a laptop to your projector, the problem is easy to solve, just hold down the function key (marked FN) and us the up or down arrow keys to control volume, this does work without your audience being aware you are making adjustments.

If however, you are like me and like to sit away from the computer while sequences are running, then Creative labs external sound blaster live is the answer, it is a usb device and comes with a remote control, it works a treat.it's 6"x4" and 1/2" deep and is complete with a usb cable, software and driver..

If you are interested, my first stop would be e-bay, I payed about £20 four years ago.

Hope this has been of some help.

Tom.

Thanks for all the info. The reason for the question is that I do multi slideshow evenings for clubs and organisations, which are selected in turn or at random from a menu system, which is all that the audience is able to see. Any intervention on the computer's volume controls means that they are visable on screen. For this reason I have been using a Hi Fi amp and although this works well I would like something a bit more compact. I use a midi tower computer as I am no great fan of laptops, not least because of the silly money you need to spend to get decent graphics caperbilities, as reams of posts and replies on this forum well testify. I use passive speakers to cut down on multi amplification problems and all in all it seems to work OK, but I'm always willing to learn from others experiance and would like to cut down on the amp's physical size.

Brian I hope the above clarifies things somewhat, in that the speaker out on the soundcard is connected to the Hi Fi amp and then onto the speakers. There is always variation in volume between different slideshows and a means of discrete adjustment while they are running is very useful.

Geoff

Geoff,

I see where you are coming from ~ You want something like this:-

Compact, Tough, Robust, Steel Case, Mic Input, Line/Aux Inputs

Volume & Tone Controls, Stereo/Mono switch, perhaps a VU Meter.

About 15 Watts.RMS per Channel. (80.W.Peak) ~ Light Weight.

What you are looking for is a "Commercial Stereo PA-Amplifier"

TOA Electric.Japan and both Eagle and Adastra Products made these

a few years ago ~ I used them myself. I don't know if they are still

available, they surely must be, as there is a ready Market for them.

I have seen something similar advertised in "Everyday Electronics"

Give me a few days and I will get back to you on this ~

Brian.Conflow.

Geoff, and all who are interested,

It looks like your original goalposts have moved, however it also looks like you and maybe others are looking for good sound reproduction in a compact format with a decent level of power. For those of you in that situation, a new audio solution has just come onto the market that while not "cheap" at £300.00 has exceptional sound and power, and a remote control hub for inputs and levels.

If you are still interested look into the "Blue Sky Exo 2.1" system of active stereo monitors and subwoofer. It's designed for small recording studio use, but will easily fill a large room or small hall (35w rms each speaker, 90w rms the sub). You will find it on www.abluesky.com .

thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I had the same problem as my lap top also shows the volumn control in a little window. Most annoying so I went to Maplin and bought for I think about £3 a 'Uni Tone Extension lead with volumn control VC-1' This plugs into the mini jack headphone socket on the lap top and then the outlet, also mini jack on the volumn control, plugs into my amplification system. I now have full control of the sound level without any give away clue on the screen.

Mike