WnSoft Forums

German user interface

xahu34

Hello,

I would like to propose the German user interface to be revised. There are some mistakes which are pretty obvious. Example: "Opacity" (in animation tab) is translated by "Transparenz" (engl. Transparency) which is the opposite of what it should be (Photoshop uses here "Deckkraft"). There are other expressions where you can only read the words, but it seems impossible to understand what they mean. I already made some proposals here.

I myself do not use the German interface, but thinking of the generation 60+, it might be better to have a good one.

Kind regards

Xaver H.

Munich

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Xaver, I appreciate your suggestions regarding the German (or Dutch, in my case) user interface very much, but in my opinion it's always better to use an application in the original language, just to avoid translation-errors like the errors you mentioned. And yes, most of the time you in Germany and I here in the Netherlands have to learn and then to polish our English continuiously.... (and oh yes, I'm 60+ .....).

Regards,

Henri. ;)

Hello Henri,

In principle I agree, but only in principle. If you try to introduce a product like PTE to a group where the majority’s English is bad or even not existing, you possibly will fail. On the other hand, the German speaking market isn’t that small. Of course, it is the decision of wnsoft, what is to do here. I could give some help, but (as I am still on work) I would not have the time to do a similar job as that of Lin and Jeff Evens. Nevertheless, beside a better German UI, a German user guide would be helpful, as well.

Kind regards

Xaver

Munich

Years ago a couple Dutch people collaborated to get the Dutch pte help file/instructions sorted out -the problem was in the regions of Holland and the dialects - there were too many mistakes so they worked together to get it right

just an idea

if one was going to put on demo's, could they not install various versions with different languages with printed handouts for the specific audience to follow step by step --it is my understanding the gui does not change just the text

ken

Hello Ken,

Maybe I did not catch your idea!? All I wanted to say in my post from Feb. 15 2008, 03:42 PM (see above) is that the German language file for PTE should be revised for reasons I already mentioned, and the actual problems do not have their origin in dialects.

In addition to that, a translation of (part of) the Evans-User-Guide would be fine, but who should do it?

Kind regards

Xaver H.

Munich

"to be revised. There are some mistakes which are pretty obvious. Example: "Opacity" (in animation tab) is translated by "Transparenz" (engl. Transparency) which is the opposite of what it should be (Photoshop uses here "Deckkraft").

"

Xaver

that is the sort of thing the Dutch fellas sorted out and then Igor revised the main Dutch instructions to their settings/words

ken

xahu34

Why not making a German translation yourself with the assistance of other German speaking members? Just do it.

It's a lot of work, I know, but it's very easy to adapt things in the text language file.

By doing this you learn the program inside-out.

I started October 20 2004 with the translation of the existing Dutch language file that came with PTE v.4.30.

The old and original Dutch file was made by Mr. Van Klinken in the early days of PTE. The old translation "was out of sync" because of the fast evolution of PTE.

With the cooperation of two Dutch speaking members of this forum - from The Netherlands - we made the up-to-date translation.

It were the members "Purist" -miss Victoria Down and "Marianne" -miss Marianne from Renswoude The Netherlands.

We continued together with the same team until version 4.40 beta #6.

August 28 2006 I adapted the Dutch language file of PTE v.5.00 beta #5. From then on I made every Dutch translation of the different versions alone.

In the topic that day, I asked Dutch speaking members to participate in the discussion and asked for some useful ideas. I asked for comments and to post these in the topic.

Unfortunately we never had an answer. So be it.

Igor knows that he can count on my participation to do the Dutch translations in the versions to come.

Hello Xaver, I appreciate your suggestions regarding the German (or Dutch, in my case) user interface very much, but in my opinion it's always better to use an application in the original language, just to avoid translation-errors like the errors you mentioned. And yes, most of the time you in Germany and I here in the Netherlands have to learn and then to polish our English continuiously.... (and oh yes, I'm 60+ .....).

Regards,

Henri.

Henri

I do not know what is wrong with the German translation, I do not speak very well German, but I hope you will give the Dutch translation at least a try.

If you did not try it so far, what do you mean with "I appreciate your suggestions regarding the German (or Dutch, in my case) user interface very much".

If you did try it, are there things you feel are wrong?

To all Dutch speaking users

Every manipulation in the program is compared very securely to the English and Dutch text, menus and instructions. The grammar is checked, wrong typos corrected and the same words are consequently used to prevent confusion. A correct Dutch language for Belgium and The Netherlands is used.

Are there other suggestions about the Dutch translation?

Have a nice day,

Cor

Hello Cor and Xaver,

I was speaking of translations in general!

In the 30 years I'm using personal computers (and synthesizers, for that matter) I too often had problems with machinery and software of which afterwards we had to blame a sloppy translation of the manual, translated from Japanese in English in Dutch and so on.

I saw you did a marvellous job in providing us with the translation of PtE in Dutch(and Flemish?), but during the years it became a habit for me to use the original language, mostly English or German; what's more, nowadays a download often is cheaper too...

And of course I agree with Xaver that for users not speaking foreign languages we need translations and I have a deep respect for those spending their time to provide these translations.

Henri. :rolleyes:

Hello CorVdK,

Just a remark on the existing German language file: It isn't bad in general, but several enhancements could be made. I already made some proposals, but I did not obtain any reaction. My impression is that proactive work does not make much sense in this case, as nobody seems to be interested in it.

Kind regards

Xaver

Munich

Hello Xaver,

It is not my intention to push you to start with the translation in German.

But you can start to do it for yourself and see how far you can come.

Maybe there are some reactions from other members afterwards.

When there are only some words to adapt or change, it is very easy to do it in the "German.ini" file.

To begin, make a copy of the file and rename it, ex. "German (old).ini" in the "WnSoft PicturesToExe\5.1" folder (to save a backup copy).

When you double-click on the original file "German.ini" it will open in Notepad.

There you can find the words to change by searching (ctrl+f), you type the wrong word in the search window, ex. "Transparenz".

It will bring you to the right spot and you can change it there after the "=" with your translation.

After changing(s) save your work (Ctrl+s).

Close the "German.ini" file and start PicturesToExe.

You must see now in the program on that specific spot, location, button or field the word(s) that you changed.

Make a copy of your changed "German.ini" file and save it on a safe place on your computer. You can copy this file over and over again in the program folder of new versions.

Good luck, if any questions, just ask.

Greetings,

Cor

Hello Cor,

As I already said: I myself do not need the German translation, why should I work on it? I think it is unlikely that those who need the German.ini will read this forum, as it is in English. So a demand from the user side will not show up here. If wnsoft were interested in this subject, I could make a walk through the windows/menus and make proposals for corrections/changes (in addition to those I already made).

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

Hello Xaver,

I am sure that Igor will be interested in corrections/changes as you mentioned.

The reason that I started with the translations in those days was because I felt I could do something back for Igor and WnSoft, and in the context of this forum to be helpful and constructive.

The program gave and still give me a lot of joy.

It was a lot of work and took also a lot of my spare time (I am still far from retirement :rolleyes: )

Besides that I think, as you mentioned, it could be a benefit to better and faster understand the program by those people who do not speak very well English or an other language.

So translations could only be done by those who have some knowledge.

Nobody is pushing, it's up to you, with respect for your decision ;) .

Greetings,

Cor

I remember years ago when the translation was an ongoing thing, people remarked that they not only bettered their language but they also learned all the features of the program as well!!

so your efforts will not be in vain and Igor and company will appreciate the work

ken