WnSoft Forums

Whitby Abbey

fh1805

I'm posting this sequence partly as a response to the very recent post of "Winter" by JimM and the comments made about that sequence by Dave Peterson.

This sequence includes both landscape and portrait orientation images. The technique I've used to handle the mixture is based on the technique displayed in the sequence "Flora's Secret" posted a little while back by PeterS.

Whitby is a small community at the mouth of the river Esk in Yorkshire. It has a variety of claims to fame including:

- Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula" is supposed to have been inspired by local folklore and the graveyard of St.Mary's church

- Captain James Cook, arguably the greatest maritime explorer of the age of sail, used Whitby-built ships for his voyages of exploration

The abbey at Whitby is perched high above the town and harbour. It as an appropriate subject to post as Easter approaches. In AD664 the church synod met at Whitby to unite the Celtic and Roman traditions in Christianity in Britain. One of the agreements made at that meeting concerned the method of calculating the date of Easter. We still use that method today.

The sequence can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xn7jvgu0yvy

Hello Peter,

Just had a look your show and enjoyed it very much, excellent photographs showing lovely textures in the stonework and the music was very apt.

Was in N. Yorkshire at the end of last year, visited Bolton and Fountains Abbey's without the same results that you attained.

Will have to get busy and make up a template for my portrait shots. great tip, thanks very much.

Regards Jim.

I'm posting this sequence partly as a response to the very recent post of "Winter" by JimM and the comments made about that sequence by Dave Peterson.

The technique you've shown for integrating verticals within predominately horizontals is a gentle way to mix the two. What seems to have really helped is that you maintained your original frame, and basically put a frame within a frame. On a side note, I enjoyed the show also. Beautiful place well seen and captured.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I think there are two aspects to, what I feel is a successful working with both orientations:

- as you point out, the two portrait frames align within the single landscape frame (that's very important)

- the subject(s) at the start and end of the twin vertical frame mini-sequence are visually complementary with their predecessor/successor images

I'm not sure I've got that across too well (I shouldn't post after two glasses of red wine!!)

This sequence includes both landscape and portrait orientation images. The technique I've used to handle the mixture is based on the technique displayed in the sequence "Flora's Secret" posted a little while back by PeterS.

Whitby is a small community at the mouth of the river Esk in Yorkshire. It has a variety of claims to fame including:

- Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula" is supposed to have been inspired by local folklore and the graveyard of St.Mary's church

- Captain James Cook, arguably the greatest maritime explorer of the age of sail, used Whitby-built ships for his voyages of exploration

The abbey at Whitby is perched high above the town and harbour. It as an appropriate subject to post as Easter approaches. In AD664 the church synod met at Whitby to unite the Celtic and Roman traditions in Christianity in Britain. One of the agreements made at that meeting concerned the method of calculating the date of Easter. We still use that method today.

Hello Peter,

Congratulations on a very polished show, from the original photography through to the presentation. I am very taken with your use of a frame around the images, and I have posted a request for information on how to use these frames on the general PTE forum, but I wonder if it is too cheeky to ask how one goes about doing a show using frames such as you have done?

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your response. I have replied to your enquiry in your other post. If you still have any problems understanding the technique after reading my reply, let's use the other thread so that all the discussion remains in the one place.

Hello Peter,

maybe that I am somewhat late, but it took me until today to watch your show on Whitby Abbey. I like it very much, the photographs and their presentation, as well as the music; all fit together perfectly. Some (really) minor remarks:

- In some images there is some highlight clipping in the sky (not easy to avoid)

- On 1 or 2 images there are persons with red cloths; you may reduce saturation and possibly shift the red colour.

- For the upright images you may choose a different aspect ratio in order to reduce the gap between the 2 images.

- You may experiment with sharpening algorithms, maybe highpass sharpening would be a good choice.

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

Xaver,

Thanks for your friendly and helpful comments. I'll give them some thought. I use Photoshop Elements v5 to prepare the images. Do you know if it has the high-pass sharpening algorithm that you mention? If so, how do I find it?

Hello Peter,

I do not have any experience with Elements, but here is the way how to apply high pass sharpening (PS version): You copy your image into a second layer. Highlight the copy, go to "Filter > Others > High pass". Apply the high pass filter with a radius value between 1 and 3 (for 10 MP images, for smaller ones choose a smaller radius, make experiments!). The upper layer will become medium grey, but you should see the edges of the original. Use Overlay as blending mode. The effect can be reduced using the opacity slider.

Good luck

Xaver

Munich