WnSoft Forums

Flawed AV show

tomg

Last night I gave a PTE presentation to a local camera club. I had ten PTE 5.1 AV's on the laptop desktop and I clicked each one in turn to give the show. It all went reasonably well except that when each AV ended, instead of reverting immediately to the laptop desktop, my BenQ 7221C projector lost the signal. It regained it eventually after a minute or so but this was an aggravation I could have done without. Earlier in the day I had tried out the AV's just on the laptop ( not projecting them) and there was no problem - as each AV ended it quickly reverted to the Desktop. If anyone can explain why the projector interferes in this way I would be really appreciative. The laptop has XP Home by the way.

Regards,

Tom

Last night I gave a PTE presentation to a local camera club. I had ten PTE 5.1 AV's on the laptop desktop and I clicked each one in turn to give the show. It all went reasonably well except that when each AV ended, instead of reverting immediately to the laptop desktop, my BenQ 7221C projector lost the signal. It regained it eventually after a minute or so but this was an aggravation I could have done without. Earlier in the day I had tried out the AV's just on the laptop ( not projecting them) and there was no problem - as each AV ended it quickly reverted to the Desktop. If anyone can explain why the projector interferes in this way I would be really appreciative. The laptop has XP Home by the way.

Regards,

Tom

I don't think it is the projector. All the projector knows is a stream of data from the video card, and it can't tell the difference between program data and desktop data. Either your laptop or the PTE program is causing the external video port to be turned off at the end of the program.

Try running a diferent program, say a word processor through the projector, and see if terminating that program causes the loss of the video port. If it does the same, then it's your laptop; if not, then it looks like some setting in PTE is the problem, but it isn't normal for PTE to do that.

On my Dell laptop, the end of a show reverts to the projector simply showing the desktop, but no loss of the data connection happens.

What video card do you have in the laptop? That might be a clue.

Colin

Tom,

It might be the 'Power Settings' on your Laptop which is responsible for your problem.

I agree with Colin, I dont think its anything to do with PTE nor your Graphics Card because

this would be a repeditive fault which would show up on the Laptop itself.

See "Attachment" as to how to check your 'Power Settings'

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1205589262_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian and Colin,

I will check out the settings as you suggest, Brian, and report back. Out of interest, my laptop is a Philips X52 with on board graphics, an Intel 945 GM Express chipset.

Regards,

Tom

Brian

The "turn off monitor" setting was 1 hour which I thought would have been adequate. I changed it to 4 hours, however, and set up the screen, projector and laptop in my living room. Strangely enough, it seems to have cured the problem. There was a slight flicker as the picture returned to the desktop as the AV's ended but it was quite acceptable. So thank you, Brian.

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Thats Laptops' for you !...they do those things all in the interests of keeping

down the 'self-generated' Heat and contineous Fan usage whilst on the Mains.

This apart from saving Battery Power whilst running on the Batteries solely.

That little 'glich' is normal as it returns to Desktop.

Tip: Always try and raise the Laptop above Table level when in full Halls as

this allows under ventillation and keeps down the Heat. Few people know this!

Brian.

Running slide shows from the 'desktop' is not the best way of running a sequence of slide shows. Have you considered creating a simple 'One Page Menu' as an exe and running your shows from that?

If you don't know how to make a menu, you can download a pdf tutorial from my web site. Visit My Website

Ron.

Ron

I did create a "one page menu" , similar to the way you suggest in your tutorial, except that I used "object" windows rather than small pictures derived from photoshop. I tried it out in my living room with screen, projector etc and found it didn't revert to the menu page at the end of each AV. That was why I used the simple system of just having the PTE.exe files on the desktop. I was annoyed to find that the "simple" system behaved just as badly on the night of the presentation. Having adopted Brian's suggestion I am going to try the "one page menu" again and hopefully it will work this time.

I browsed through your website, Ron - it is nicely laid out and I enjoyed lookingat your pictures.

Best Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Have you got the Project Options...Main tab setting of "Close show after last slide" selected on each of the sequences except the menu sequence? In the menu sequence have you got "When show ends keep last slide in show on screen" selected?

Not getting these right can give problems with return to menu at end of each called sequence.

In working with many different video projectors over the years, I am never surprised at how Windows freaks out trying to run with multi-monitors, meaning the LCD panel plus the video projector. It doesn't even act consistently from event to event.

I usually make sure the built-in LCD panel is switched off and the video projector is the number "1" monitor on the laptop. Even then some computer's video cards do not implement the external VGA port properly.

Having said that, many video projectors will freak out when the VGA port does something unexpected, like a resolution change or a timing change.

If all of your presentations did the same thing, I would try someone else's PTE presentation and see what happens.

I suspect you encountered an interaction between your specific laptop and that projector. If you really want to find an answer, change one thing at a time and keep careful notes.

Dave

Hi All,

I tried out a "one page menu" today with projector and laptop. I have to press Fn and F5 to switch the LCD screen off and transfer the signal to the VGA output to the projector. I didn't set this up - I just have to do it or the signal isn't transferred. Anyway, getting back to the "one page menu" - I actually set it up twice, firstly with PTE 4.48 and then with PTE 5.1. The former worked pretty well with just an odd loss of signal but the PTE 5.51 version wasn't good at all. So I am reasonably satisfied with the outcome. Answering Peter, yes I did have the settings as you mentioned.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

You will almost certainly find that the Fn+F5 key combination is a wrap-around three-position toggle:

Display only on the computer monitor - Display on both the computer monitor and the projector - Display only on the projector

and then back to Display only on the monitor.

Running slide shows from the 'desktop' is not the best way of running a sequence of slide shows. Have you considered creating a simple 'One Page Menu' as an exe and running your shows from that?

If you don't know how to make a menu, you can download a pdf tutorial from my web site. Visit My Website

Ron.

Ron

This is of interest to me. I have always run from a one page menu and up to the introduction of v5.1 have never experienced any problems. However now that one has to establish the buttons through the objects and animation window problems have arisen where on clicking a button, instead of running the show, it reverts to the desk top. Doesn't do it every time but often enough to make us look very non professional. It means I have had to start sitting alongside the projector so as to cover the lens so that the audience do not see me sorting through all the files to select the next to be shown. My lap top is a HP Pavillion 5094 which has never done this before.

Mike

I've been running menu-driven sequences for over two years now and have never had any problems. I've used menus built using PTE v4.47 and ones built using v5.1. I've run them on an XP laptop and on a Vista laptop. I might be tempting fate in saying this, but I've never had a menu problem. I cannot help but feel that any problems being experienced are going to be attributable to something being amiss in the combination of settings in the menu sequence and the driven sequences.

For a menu sequence built using v5.1 I would recommend the following Project Options settings:

Main tab - "When show ends keep last slide on screen", "Wait for key press or mouse click"

Advanced tab - Mouse buttons set to be Left=Next, Right=Previous (relevant only if you have more than one page in the menu) and "Always show mouse cursor"

Screen tab - If you are not using animation in the menu sequence, turn off Hardware acceleration

In the sequences being driven off this menu I recommend the following settings:

Main tab - "Close show after last slide"

Advanced tab - "Hide mouse cursor during show"

Screen tab - " Turn "hardware acceleration" on.

The mouse action on each button in the menu sequence should be "Run application or open file" and not "Run application and exit". The action for all main images and all other objects should be "None".

Peter you wrote Quoted:-

"...You will almost certainly find that the Fn+F5 key combination is a wrap-around three-position toggle:

Display only on the computer monitor - Display on both the computer monitor and the projector -

Display only on the projector and then back to Display only on the monitor..."

Peter this is not true because it depends on the 'Management Suite' installed on any particular Computer whereby

the Function Keys F1~F12 are designated by the 'Management Suite' or Bios-Settings - and in particular where an

'FN Key' is provided which is calling for additional functionality such as on Laptops/Portables the 'FN+F5 Function' is

usually commanding the Laptop/Portable to go into 'Hibernate Mode' ~ again this depends on Manufacturer.

Excepting: Function Keys F1, F2, F8 there is no 'Universal Command Set' allocated to the other 'F' Function Keys.

The only place where one finds 'Universal Commands' is in the use of the 'Alt.Key+Fxx Key' Modes and now,Vista

is trying to change that 'International Command Set' which is used by virtually every Non-Vista Pc in the World.

Brian.Conflow.

... and in particular where an 'FN Key' is provided which is calling for additional functionality such as on Laptops/Portables the 'FN+F5 Function' is

usually commanding the Laptop/Portable to go into 'Hibernate Mode' ~ again this depends on Manufacturer.

On Fujitsu Siemens Lifebooks, FN + F5 means "display scale", and FN + F10 changes the display (monitor, projector, or both), while on the Fujitsu Siemens consumer notebooks other settings hold.

Kind regards

Xaver

Munich

Brian,

I understand and agree with you re the absence of well defined standards for the Fn key combinations. The point I was trying to make was not that Fn+F5 would always be the monitor/projector toggle on all laptops but that the toggle would most likely be a three-position, wrap-around toggle. My reference to Fn+F5 was directed at Tom who had found that that was the combination on his laptop that controlled the monitor/projector outputs.

I was undoubtedly influenced in my choice of phrasing by the fact that both my laptops (an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo and a new Acer) use Fn+F5 as the key combination to control the monitor/projector outputs; and both are three-position wrap-around toggles.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I appreciate where you picked up on that generalisation with respect to Toms query.

I too have fallen into that trap by assuming that all PC's were like mine. Xavers' recent post

above only goes to show how different each PC really is and how we must always be aware

of such things simply because other Readers would take "whats written" as Gospel.

Best regards,

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Peter,

don't take this affair too serious. You actually do a lot of good work in this forum, but forum postings often are spontaneous in nature, and they must not have the standard of a carefully edited encyclopaedia.

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

Hi Peter,

I agree with Xaver ~ and my post was never intended as a criticism ~ I was mearly pointing out the fact that

'Fn+F Keys' are different on every Computer depending on the Manufacturers set-up....its as simple as that !

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

I hadn't taken it as criticism - I developed a thick skin many years ago. But I had taken note of your comments to the effect that other readers of these posts might take them as Gospel. You are right on that point and so I do need to take a little more time to prepare my words when posting a piece of "fact".

Xaver,

Yes, I agree that there are times when the spontaneity of the post is appropriate; and , indeed, it gives liveliness to some of the debates. But Brian's point about how other readers interpret what we post is also valid. Don't worry, I'm not going to change my style dramatically. I've always had a tendency to "shoot from the lip" (hope your command of English grasps the meaning of the phrase). It has, occasionally got me into trouble but I just have to live with it and be aware when it might not be appropriate to be so outspoken.

Peter & Xaver,

This is 'off-thread' but its important ~ If any of your Friends are using Apple Macs or iMacs

you might like to warn them about a 'malicious-script' thats now circulating which is killing

off a whole range of Apple Products without intervention from the PC User.

I have just received this warning from C-Net and I shall post a New Thread to advise those

PTE-Apple Mac users.

Regards,

Brian.