WnSoft Forums

O&A Problems

cjdnzl

I am doing a slide show that requires extensive text to be added some slide images, which I am doing in the O&A screen.

I can choose the font and the color that I want to use, but the choices do not 'stick'. As soon as I exit the text function, they revert to the default Times Roman and white color, and then when I select text entry again, I have to re-choose the font and color.

Also, there seems to be some sort of shadow around the text which does not clear by undoing the drop shadow tick box. In this instance I would like the text to have no shadow.

I haven't been able to find whether it is possible to customize these settings. Oddly, the defaults for 'comments' can be changed and they 'stick', but this does not seem to work for the text settings in O&A.

Meanwhile I have reverted to doing the text work in Photoshop, but I would prefer doing it in PTE.

Does anybody have any clues about this?

Regards,

Colin

Colin,

I don't think there is a way to customize text settings right now.

But what you could do in PTE is to create a text with your settings and copy/paste this text on the slides.

You would only have to put it whereever you want and modify your text as you need.

Hope it helps.

Hi Colin

You are correct as it does default, and I also see no way of saving settings.

The only way I have been able to work around is to copy and paste the first text into another slide – uncheck “Rasterize” and edit just the text.

When you click “Rasterize” again to this new text slide you get a pop up message and must click “No” ( Not to replace ) you then can save as a different .PNG file name.

This is the only way I have found to maintain the same font and color without choosing each time.

post-14-1205691300_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin

You are correct as it does default, and I also see no way of saving settings.

The only way I have been able to work around is to copy and paste the first text into another slide – uncheck “Rasterize” and edit just the text.

When you click “Rasterize” again to this new text slide you get a pop up message and must click “No” ( Not to replace ) you then can save as a different .PNG file name.

This is the only way I have found to maintain the same font and color without choosing each time.

post-14-1205691300_thumb.jpg

That looks like a good workaround, Ralph, thank you. I am doing a family tree box chart, and as each box is completed, I have to restart Text to do the next box. Resetting the font to Geneva and color to black repeatedly is painful. :(

Maybe just a single character in the right font and color saved with Ctrl-C will do the trick.

This is a great forum!

Colin

Colin,

If you are making your boxes using Objects you have two options for replicating them:

- select all the items comprising one box by using the Ctrl+click technique then Copy and Paste using the O&A buttons of the same name

or...

- first place a frame on the image using the O&A Insert Frame Icon and then place all your box objects as children of the frame

This latter approach has the benefit of enabling you to resize, reposition, etc all of the items within a frame just by working the frame (the PTE "kids" inherit their "parents" attributes - just like the members of your family tree but without the teenage angst!)

Perhaps this is a brute-force solution, but when I am confronted with a lot of changes like this, I resort to opening the PTE file in a text editor and do a search-and-replace. When changing font or point sizes you may need to reposition the text elements, but it's a whole easier than cycling through all the slides and poking through all the pulldowns.

Dave

Hello Peter and Dave,

Peter, The background texture and the frames thereon were done in Photoshop as a template, used some 14 times in the show. Each time, there is new data typed into the boxes with the text editor on O&A. With three boxes per screen - two parents and a child - I type the father's details in the left box, then with a fresh text application, type the mother's details in the right box, and then same again with the child's name in the lower box. That's three starts of the text editor, and three times I have to reset the font and color.

I finally resorted to doing the whole job in Photoshop, and inserting the completed images into PTE. I found that making boxes in PTE was harder than in Photoshop, expecting to do the typing in PTE, until I ran into the font/color problem.

Dave, editing the .pte file would work, except that in some places on proper images I did want white writing, so a blanket replace would upset those texts, I guess.

Anyway, by using PS instead of PTE I got around the problem, but I think at some stage if Igor could make the selection 'stick' it would be very helpful

Regards,

Colin