WnSoft Forums

Drag & Drop from another application?

johndigi

Hello,

Is it possible to drag images from my photo cataloging software (I use Idimager) into PTE? I want to create a slide show based on certain catagory labels displayed in Idimager and drag them into my PTE show. My folders are arranged by date so the images are all over my hard drive. I know that I can always copy them to a new folder for the slide show but I was hoping that I would not have to do that. Thanks.

By the way, I have not created any shows for some time. I just upgraded to version 5.1 and i LOVE the new features!

John L

Hi John,

Though this kind of thing "can" be done, it's problematical - here's one reason: Let's say at some later date, perhaps a year from now, you decide to change a show and perhaps add some new images or remove some. If you have moved or deleted any of the files then PTE will not be able to find the necessary images and proceed. Here's a second reason. The larger the database of images from which you choose your files in separate folders and locations, the greater the probability of there being duplicate file names, especially if you do not manually rename your images. Diital acquisition devices (cameras, video cameras, etc.) can only go so far in naming files without repeating filenames. If there are duplicate file names located in different folders then PTE "can" and will use them to create your slideshow, HOWEVER, you can't then make an automated zipped file containing all necessary materials to later re-create your show. The zip creation "requires" unique file names so you may very well end up with major issues down the road if you do not either group your photos in a single folder or use the zip feature in PTE to do it for you. Even though PTE can and will create a sideshow using duplicate file names as long as they are found in different folders, you may not be able to ever rework this show in the future depending on what happens to the files over time. It's definitely something to think about before you start down this path.

Best regards,

Lin

Wow! That was fast! Thanks so much to all of you who replied - I appreciate it! I guess I'll stick with creating a fresh folder and copying the images there, and zipping them when I'm done.

And I will check out the 5.5 beta - although there is so much new stuff in 5.1 that it will take some time to digest! ;)

John

Hi John,

I understand what you are wanting to do and why it might actually make sense. I use ThumbsPlus and sometimes would like to create a slideshow from a gallery (of images in different folders tagged with a common keyword). However, aside from the reasons why Lin has suggested that it might not be the best idea, I don't see any way that you can actually drag and drop photos on either the slide table/list in 5.1 or on the slide table/list or timeline in 5.5. It does not allow me to do it from either windows explorer or from ThumbsPlus (both of which can drag and drop into Photoshop or other graphics applications).

So I think dragging and dropping is actually a moot point unless there is another trick which I do not understand.

Hi Mary,

Actually, you "should" be able to drag and drop images into a slideshow with PTE from any folder or folders with Explore.

You can't do this from the timeline view, but from the Classic or horizontal or vertical view you can simply change to another folder at any time and drag and drop images to either the slide list or the objects list. Those images will then be displayed on the timeline view.

Perhaps I misunderstand what it is that you can't get the program to do? What you see on the left side in the Main screen Classic view is actually the Explore tree so that whateve you chose in terms of a folder content then appears on the PTE side. You don't actually have another instance of Explore open - can't do that or drag and drop from other programs simultaneously open in a separate window, but you should be able to add any images from any folder on any drives or storage devices availble on your computer to your slideshow.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi John,

I understand what you are wanting to do and why it might actually make sense. I use ThumbsPlus and sometimes would like to create a slideshow from a gallery (of images in different folders tagged with a common keyword). However, aside from the reasons why Lin has suggested that it might not be the best idea, I don't see any way that you can actually drag and drop photos on either the slide table/list in 5.1 or on the slide table/list or timeline in 5.5. It does not allow me to do it from either windows explorer or from ThumbsPlus (both of which can drag and drop into Photoshop or other graphics applications).

So I think dragging and dropping is actually a moot point unless there is another trick which I do not understand.

Hi Mary,

You don't actually have another instance of Explore open - can't do that or drag and drop from other programs simultaneously open in a separate window

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

What you describe above is exactly what I want to do (sometimes). Drag and drop files from a different program open in another window. I might have some number of files categorized by a keyword in ThumbsPlus, for instance and shown in a "gallery" within that program. Those files could theoretically reside in 10 different file folders. Rather than making copies of each file and putting them together in a single new folder, it would be cool to drag them into a PTE slideshow and after creating the show, THEN save them out as a template all into the same folder. I understand (and have experienced selecting from multiple folders within PTE) the problem of duplicate file names. It would be a neat feature, but certainly not a showstopper. After attempting to do what the OP was describing, I was merely pointing out that dragging and dropping does not seem to work from a different program (or a different instance of Windows Explorer itself).

Lin,

As Mary said, the images from the cataloging software can reside all over the hard drive. I agree with Mary that it's not a showstopper but personally I would rather not have to copy the images to one folder to create the slide show. But I like PTE so much, the inconvenience is a small price to pay!

By the way, having just upgraded to version 5.1, I wanted to try pan & zoom animations. I found your "PZR for Smarties" video tutorial and it was great! THANK YOU!!

John

Hi Mary,

Actually, you "should" be able to drag and drop images into a slideshow with PTE from any folder or folders with Explore.

You can't do this from the timeline view, but from the Classic or horizontal or vertical view you can simply change to another folder at any time and drag and drop images to either the slide list or the objects list. Those images will then be displayed on the timeline view.

Perhaps I misunderstand what it is that you can't get the program to do? What you see on the left side in the Main screen Classic view is actually the Explore tree so that whateve you chose in terms of a folder content then appears on the PTE side. You don't actually have another instance of Explore open - can't do that or drag and drop from other programs simultaneously open in a separate window, but you should be able to add any images from any folder on any drives or storage devices availble on your computer to your slideshow.

Best regards,

Lin