WnSoft Forums

Graphics cards

Ronniebootwest

I have just ordered a Dell Precision T7400 computer which has the following card installed.

I am interested to learn if anyone is using this card for PTE.

Processor: T7400 - Intel Xeon E5420 (2.50ghz, 1333 FSB, 2x6mb, Quad Core

Card: 256mb PCIe x 16 nVidea Quadro FX570 (ELGA11), Dual Monitor DVI or VGA Graphics card.

I would be particularly interested to learn if anyone is using the dual monitor display.

Thanks for any feedback,

Ron West

Hello Ron,

Since a few months I am the proud owner of:

HP Pavilion m8180.be

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

Physical Memory: 3070 MB

DirectX: 10.0

Fixed Hard disk: 320 GB

Fixed Hard disk: 500 GB

External Maxtor One Touch: 250 GB

Sound card: Realtek High Definition - ASUSTek LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device

Video card: NVidia Geforce 8600 GT 512 MB ram VGA DVI

CD-rom stations: DVD writer HL DVD RRW - DVD-rom ATAPI DVD D

Monitor: HP f2105 Wide Flat Panel Monitor - res.: 1680 x 1050

VISTA Home Premium

I must say, maybe not the top of the line configuration, but so far, without any problems of crashing, "white or blue" screens, freezing, or what so ever.

So far no problems with VISTA and PTE. I even run Microsoft Office 2000, a Windows 2000/NT/Windows 98 program, and various photo and video programs.

About the NVidia graphics card, I don't know the type you will have, but I think it will be better than a "ATI-card" to avoid some existing problems with video and also PTE (as I read this forum).

We at our photoclub also have problems with a Samsung flat-screen and a ATI-card, but that's an other story.

The HP f2105 Wide Flat Panel Monitor is connected with a DVI cable. I also have used a Sony beamer on the VGA entry without problems.

The experience I have with ATI contra NVidia: NVidia is more obvious in set up properties.

My opinion you will have a nice configuration that will last also for more years to come.

Have fun with it :) .

Greetings,

Cor

Blimey! over 100 views and still nobody is using this hardware. Am I alone in this?

Ron

Ron, the reason for all the view and not comments? Maybe it's the mystery of the secondary title "Anyone using this card....".

I know it was my reason for looking. I didn't comment because you ask if anyone had one. I don't. My card is an nvidea 7200. It works fine.

Cheers,

Larry

Hi Ron,

Thought I haven't had any personal experience with this "paticular" nVidia graphics card, I purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 which came with an on-board Intel grapics with 128 meg RAM which did a decent job on all but the most difficult of my animations. The vast majority ran smoothly so I suspect that the nVidia card on your T7400 will be quite suitable. If not, you can always buy an Invidia 8600 GT or GT OC card and plug it right in to the PCI EXpress 16 slot.

The specifications state:

---------------------------------

The graphics offerings on the Dell Precision T7400 can handle the demands of 2D and Open GL 3D operations for engineering, architecture or design applications with ease. The Dell Precision T7400 offers a wide range of high-performance options, including dual Native PCIe Gen 2 x16 slot support and up to 225 watts graphics card. Use the Dell Precision T7400 for MCAD, visualization, and digital content creation, configured with multiple monitors for ultimate efficiency.

--------------------------------

The above specs means that the included power supply will support up to an nVidia 8600 GT/OC (overclocked) graphics card. This card is more than capable of handling the most demanding graphics from any PTE show. So even in the unlikely case that the included nVidia graphics card doesn't measure up, you can always replace it with the nVidia 8600 GT card.

To go to the very top-of-line (for the money) graphics card like the nVidia 8800 GT you would quite likely have to also replace the Dell power supply that comes in the T7400. The 8800 GT requires a minimum of a 400w power supply and the power supply needs to have 8 pin connectors or at least two four pin Molex connectors which Dell seems not to use unless you buy their tower. My power supply was a 300w model and only had two 15 pin SATA connectors free so when I upgraded to the nVidia 8800GT card I replaced the included 300w power supply with a very nice 750w power supply which had plenty of connectors of the right type in reserve. This cost me an additional $130 U.S.

Since you live in the U.K., I suspect the nVidia 8800 GT card is pretty much out of reach because at last check they were priced around the U.S. equivalent of $900. Here in the states I found one for $239 but typically they are more like $279 here. The Nvidia 8600 is much less in the U.K. and Europe as I have been told and I put one of these in my wife's system and it will run "any" PTE show smoothly and without a burp. So again, even if the included nVidia FX570 proves to be insufficient (highly unlikely) you can always go with the 8600 GT without further modification.

Best regards,

Lin

I have just ordered a Dell Precision T7400 computer which has the following card installed.

I am interested to learn if anyone is using this card for PTE.

Processor: T7400 - Intel Xeon E5420 (2.50ghz, 1333 FSB, 2x6mb, Quad Core

Card: 256mb PCIe x 16 nVidea Quadro FX570 (ELGA11), Dual Monitor DVI or VGA Graphics card.

I would be particularly interested to learn if anyone is using the dual monitor display.

Thanks for any feedback,

Ron West

Just to wind up this thread!

After noting the advice offered, especially by Lin and Brian, I concluded that the FX740 was not for me. Instead I have opted for this one:

512mb PCIe x 16 nVidea Quadro FX 1700 Dual Monitor DVI or VGA Graphics

Now that is all a little over my head but Brian Conflow reckons that it will do the job, so that advice is good enough for me.

My thanks, once again, for the help and support I have received.

Ron