WnSoft Forums

NEW XP SP3

Conflow

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to switch off that annoying little red shield that pops up in the corner with a message telling me that my computer may be at risk because I have turned automatic updates off?

Hopefully

Peter

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to switch off that annoying little red shield that pops up in the corner with a message telling me that my computer may be at risk because I have turned automatic updates off?

Does this link help: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...lescalerts.mspx?

Regards

Xaver

Munich

Peter,

Check to make sure your 'Firewall' is still actually 'turned on'

Check to make sure your 'Anti-Virus' is still actually 'turned on'

Control Panel-->Windows Firewall--> Check status.

Same with your Anti-Virus.-->Check status.

Better safe than sorry !

Brian.Conflow.

Xaver,

What was written,quoted:- ..."John, Now your talking - Make mine something strong"...

We have an category expression in the English language:- Allegory of Allegorical.

Which means; Saying or Writing something with a hidden meaning.

The above quote means:- ..."John, Your're making sense - Lets have a strong Drink (to celebrate)"...

In your Language someting like:.."Johann, Sie machen Sinn ~ Ermöglicht haben ein starkes Bier (zur Feier)"...

Brian.

Ken, Brian

Thank you - vielen Dank!

There are sometimes problems for non-native speakers: Some contributions are quite long, and therefore (even if written in a cultivated language) a bit exhausting. Other posts are short but incomprehensible.

Never mind, nor do I!

Xaver

Munich

THIS SITE is very informative re windows

see

http://www.blackviper.com/

www.BlackViper.com: Current News ~ What's New?

http://www.blackviper.com/News/current.htm

he has been around for quite a long time -- covers quite a few aspects -- calls a spade a spade

if you do not like the default black, on the left column is

Choose the look:

Black or White

ken

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this

Peter,

Check to make sure your 'Firewall' is still actually 'turned on'

Check to make sure your 'Anti-Virus' is still actually 'turned on'

Brian.Conflow.

I think I am reasonably safe. I don't use any of the XP security but I do use a wired router plus Zone Alarm's firewall anti virus and spyware suite. Plus random scans with XoftSpy and AVG anti root kit. I am however always willing to add to my armory!!

Kind regards

Peter

My computer has just informed me that the XP3 update is available for download, and is offering to instal it. Here is the accompanying message from the installer:

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929"

I have not installed it, and will not until more info becomes available.

Colin

Colin,

How right you are ~ that "offer" is the old release with the 'bugs' which is still active on their Download Site and

they have been "Inviting" a cross section of users to download the File so they can get 'Automatic-Feedback'.

Their intent is to use that data to root-out remaining 'bugs' and finally 'patch' your Copy of Xp3.

Furthermore they have hundreds of 'National Download Sites' across the Planet and many of these DID NOT

withdraw the File as Microsoft had offically announced.

So in effect you become an 'unpaid' Beta Tester. I fell into that trap in 2002 when they were launching their

interactive "dot .Net Framework System" ~ never again.

Brian.Conflow.

WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE --- IT IS DATED

Date Published: 5/6/2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Overview

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.

Note: Customers running Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) are advised to install a hotfix for a Microsoft Dynamics RMS issue prior to installing Windows XP SP3.

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 3 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP3 for download, please send e-mail to: piracy@microsoft.com or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.

Top of page

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Top of page

Instructions

Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.

Do one of the following:

To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.

To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.

Top of page

THIS URL WAS SUPPLIED BY A WINDOWS FORUM

NOT THAT I AM READY TO INSTALL -WAIT TILL THE DUST SETTLES :)

KEN

Does not installing SP3, cripple or preclude the installation of future patches?

Cheers,

Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The honest answer Jim ~ we just don't know ~ thats the problem. They have

given out a load of 'Old Waffle' (IT-gobbledy gook) and have not explained in

'plain English' nor other Languages exactly what Xp3 does to your PC.

People don't trust Microsoft ~ can you blame them, after all the 'fiascos' they

have made in the past? surely 77,000 employee's cant all be wrong, so its quite

obvious that the problems lie in the Boardroom..FULL STOP !

Brian.Conflow.