WnSoft Forums

Problem replacing image

igoforit

Oh please don't have an argument over the word animation. All this laughing is putting a strain on my heart :rolleyes:

The word has settled into the PTE talk to mean movement of an image or object. I suspect most forum members will accept the word animation to mean...............

Some form of movement in PTE

We can accept that can't we?

Please?

Pretty Please?

PS, Lets have another one about image quality, that's much more fun :unsure:

Barry,

Whats wrong with "PZR" ~ is that no classy enough ~ or are to suffer

the 'jibes' and sneers of every Pro-Photographers Group laughing up

their sleeves at our 'Animation' attempts, where every Kid in the World

knows animations are - SONY PLAY STATIONS !

I give up....what a giggle, and what an affectation !

Brian.

Good Man Ken,

This is getting better with every Posting ~ Ken Burns was thrown out the Door ~ PZR went over the Cliff,

now we have Animation. Hold on a sec, I want to 'animate' my Pentax ~ Ooops wrong setting, it must be

the that new fangled IQ setting, no thats not right, blast it anyway, where is the Auto-setting gone ? Help!

All sounds too familiar...what next ? AAhh yes IQ ~ that means Image-Quality~ I think Barry wants to have

a laugh at that one.

I'm off to look at 'Stargate' (real animation) perhaps Lin is looking at it also, he went AWL.

Brian.

Lin,

Thats a right can of worms you have opened up there, so here goes ~

I can't accept the use of the word Animation here in the context of PTE....

Encylopedias' definition of 'Animation' and and in my Training days the word meant:-

To bring to life or to give pseudo-life & intelligence to inanimate and animate objects.

Examples:-

Cartoons:- Micky Mouse, Bugs-Bunny, Top-Cat and Sony Play Stations, and Films like:

Shrek, ET, and Robots like R2D2 & C3CPO ~ all are Animations.

By no stretch of the imagination would I consider Optical Zoom or Pan as Animations.

They are 70 year old Optical effects, even if they are now digitised as PZR.

I will stick with PZR ~ in a few months people will ask me what is PZR....What a Lark !

Best regards,

Brian.

Brian, with respect, I think your definition of 'animation' is rather outdated in this computer age. Wikipedia defines animation as movement of a whole image, as well as movement within an image, and they show a rotating Planet Earth as an example of animation.

Many older terms have been redefined to encompass newer concepts, as in photoshop and word processor programs, and the daddy of them all is Microsoft's use of the word 'font' to mean typeface, thoroughly upsetting professional printers and typesetters. To them, 'font' is plain wrong. From Wikipedia again, 'font' is "traditionally defined as a complete character set of a single size of a particular typeface. For example, all characters for 9 point Bulmer is a font, and the 10 point size would be another font. Since the introduction of personal computers, a broader definition has evolved. The term font is now often used as a metonym for a typeface".

I guess, since the introduction of scalable typefaces, the word 'font' in it's original meaning is outdated, so font has come to mean typeface at any point size. But the purists still shudder at these changes.

It's all part of everchanging English, I guess. 'Cool' in my day meant not quite cold, 'camp' was done with a tent, and a 'gay'person was one full of fun and laughter. Not so today. 'Animation' now includes whole-image movement.

Colin.