WnSoft Forums

DLP or LCD That is the question?

I'm starting to do some research in order to make the best purchase of a digital projector. Our camera club has an Optima DPL projector which seems to give good results. However I seem to remember Igor saying that LCD produced the best results (why is nothing ever straitforward with technology). I would appreciate some feedback of forum members experiances, good and bad, in assisting me in my decision making.

Many thanks

Geoff

Geoff,

Speaking from a technical viewpoint, thats a very hard one to answer !

Its a matter of 'objectivity' ~ what has the Machine got to do to satisfy the Members?

and 'Subjectivity' whats the best economic choice and Technology to suit those needs?

Really, you need to sit down with the Members and agree some form of 'Outline Specification'

There are various technologies available: Optic(s), LCD, Plasma, Backscan, Laser (new).

I don't envy your job...

Brian.

Guest Yachtsman1

I asked the same question some time ago and the response majority was DLP, although the projector suppliers suggest LCD for best colour rendition for projecting digital photography. There was a recent post advocating HP projectors, which are mostly LCD. We eventually plumped on a Canon DLP XGA at just under £500, it's been used twice at public shows for around 6 hours, it performed straight out of the box, self sought the laptop signal which my own NOBO x17E projector doesn't. The picture brightness in a semi darkened hall on a 1.5mtr screen was excellent. I have no connection with Canon.

Yachtsman1

Hi Geoff

As Brian said there is no simple answer.

The difference between LCD and DLP (and other technologies) is diminishing, each has its own benefits and problems.

You need to decide what you will be projecting. Is it for good colour rendition in still images in a dark room or bright image in a less than perfect blackout or mostly for AV? Then you need to decide your budget.

Personally I don't think there is a perfect product out there, regardless of budget. The Canon XEED series is considered, and I agree, to be one of the best for still projection (it uses three LCOS devices to give an expanded colour range and no problems with colour wheel generated noise and high resolution at 1400x1050) BUT the SX50 and SX60 (I don't know if others in the series are affected) are less than suitable for AV as they have problems displaying smoothly slow horizontal pans (I have seen the effect and it is quite noticeable). Also the price is very high. Several of the clubs that host International competitions seem to have decided on these.

I have no experience on what is best suitable, in the present market, for AV.

One very important factor, often overlooked, is setting-up the projector to give the best image. You should also budget for some sort of calibration device something like the Spyder or Colormunki and the time and skill to use it. Also make sure that someone in the club takes responsibility for maintaining the projector and learning to set it up correctly especially for competitions and visiting speakers.

If your Optima is still giving you good service, I would suggest you make the most of that as these are still well respected models until such time as you need to replace it or a more suitable model becomes available.

Mike

Thanks to all for the info. I am looking to buy a projector for my own personal use to show a mixture of slide shows and still images. We purchased the clubs Optima about two years ago, and it has been in constant use since then with no problems. We also recently purchased a spyder calibration device as we run an annual national competition which this year attracted an entry of 2600 images, so correct colour projection is very important. I would recommend the spyder to anyone it's easy to use and gives excellent results. Having said all the above I'm always willing to learn from other's experiances, and with the speed that technology moves on new products are constantly coming on to the market.

Geoff

Thanks Igor, an interesting read. I would be interested to know what your feelings about this are, considering that most camera clubs I come in contact with seem to have gone with DLP, and if I remember correctly from some time ago, your preference was then LCD.

Geoff

Personally I prefer LCD and LCoS based projectors. Because they provide solid and flicker-free picture which looks like usual 35 mm film projection. Earlier DLP projectors shown better contrast and deep of black level, but now newest projectors Epson 1080UB (TW2000), JVC RS2 (HD100), Sony VW200 deliver almost comparable with DLP contrast. Although they are still too expensive.

Let leave DLP vs. LCD for other technical forums :)

Other moment, format of a picture. As I know, the highest quality of picture can provide only projectors intended for home cinema and almost all of them are 16:9, not 4:3. I plan to prepare my new slideshows in 16:9 format. This format of a picture is ideal for further transfering to Blu-Ray video disc.

All written above is my opinion only.

Igor many thanks for your thoughts, I'm sure you are right and 16 x 9 is the way to go, however it's a bit confusing with many camera clubs having bought 4 x 3 projectors which have as yet had little use. There is therefor little enthusiasm to change to 16 x 9 for projected slideshows just yet but I'm sure it will come as equipment needs renewing.