WnSoft Forums

Active Speakers

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Our camera club is just getting together our own equipment for shows in medium sized halls (75 people max) We are looking for a pair of active speakers around 50 watts, with a budget of £120 (UK), Q has anyone a suggestion for make/model. They need to be suitable for voice and music, (not just p/a.)

Also does anyone know if there is a maximum size of active speaker that can be driven via a standard laptop?

Yachtsman1

Our camera club is just getting together our own equipment for shows in medium sized halls (75 people max) We are looking for a pair of active speakers around 50 watts, with a budget of £120 (UK), Q has anyone a suggestion for make/model. They need to be suitable for voice and music, (not just p/a.)

Also does anyone know if there is a maximum size of active speaker that can be driven via a standard laptop?

Yachtsman1

My camera club has just done the same exercise, and ended up buying a medium-size stereo system from TradeMe, a New Zealand based internet auction site, sold by a person who was upgrading his system. A Panasonic 50w RMS per channel system, it easily fills our hall, and on shows like 'Atomium' the sound is fantastic. (Atomium is a fabulous showpiece for PTE, blows the audience away every time, all credit to the Belgian authors).

It seems a lot of the available second-hand equipment is from people who are upgrading to 5.1 or surround sound and home theatre systems, and disposing of perfectly good, powerful stereo systems when doing so.

Active speakers have individual amplifiers built in to the enclosures, and I don't know how controllable they are from a tonal and balance point of view, but we preferred a central amplifier with a remote control, which works well for our purposes.

Laptop sound ports generally put out a line-level signal ( about 1 volt RMS), which should match the input sensitivity of any amplifier with a line-in port, so there is no 'maximum' size of speaker from the laptop's perspective. Later, I intend to investigate using Bluetooth between the laptop and amplifier to eliminate the stereo cable, since the club computer and my own machine, both Dell 1520s, have built-in Bluetooth capability, and I need only to fit a Bluetooth receiver into the stereo unit.

This gear was purchased for a few tens of dollars, far cheaper than buying new, and it is in near-new condition.

Colin

I have been using a set of speakers from Acoustic systems for about 4 years for our lectures and AV shows and they are superb

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_r...ries/Aego_M.asp

They have filled the largest hall with sound and seem to amaze people with their quality. You get one base box and 2 tiny table top speakers and the cost is around £100.

Hi yachtsman,

Knowing who you are and where you live I would suggest you contact Soundcentre on Portrack lane in Stockton. Although they are an outlet aiming at amateur and professional musicians they have very knowledgable staff and will listen to your requirements and offer good advice. You can try before you buy in their demo room.

Good luck.

I have been using a set of speakers from Acoustic systems for about 4 years for our lectures and AV shows and they are superb

They have filled the largest hall with sound and seem to amaze people with their quality. You get one base box and 2 tiny table top speakers and the cost is around £100.

Barry,

I have the same set-up from AE as you, I purchased them about two years ago on the recommendation of Maureen Albright.

You are correct, they are superb, quality and power first rate and to crown it off, very portable.

Tom.

Acoustic Energy have now updated the speakers I ordered for Barry and others to the new M series.

See link above.

Same excellent quality and you'll see from their web site that they have won awards fro What Hi-Fi when they were first introduced.

" For both value and sound quality the Acoustic Energy Aego M System is almost beyond reproach" What HiFi January 2006

AV users all over the UK are now using them in very large halls & also home use.

Superb value for money & excellent sound quality.

Maureen

Guest Yachtsman1

Acoustic Energy have now updated the speakers I ordered for Barry and others to the new M series.

See link above.

Same excellent quality and you'll see from their web site that they have won awards fro What Hi-Fi when they were first introduced.

AV users all over the UK are now using them in very large halls & also home use.

Superb value for money & excellent sound quality.

Maureen

Hi Maureen

I have emailed 4 retailers listed in the North East, one has come back saying they haven't sold AE gear for 2 years, maybe I should email AE direct for the nearest stockist with stock?

Thanks.

Hi Maureen

I have emailed 4 retailers listed in the North East, one has come back saying they haven't sold AE gear for 2 years, maybe I should email AE direct for the nearest stockist with stock?

Thanks.

Hello yachtsman1,

try this link to e-bay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Energy-Aego...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tom

I have found this subject very interesting as up to now I have not got a very sophisticated set up for the few times I have shown some of my AV's to an audience. All I have done is connected a couple of speakers into the headphone socket on my laptop and this has worked but the sound quality and volume is not the best

Do these Aego M speakers connect in the same way?

One person also mentions using an amplifier, can somebody point me in the direction of obtaining more information about setting up audio on a laptop to improve sound quality when showing AVs to an audience in a large hall.

Regards

Tony Falla

Guest Yachtsman1
I have found this subject very interesting as up to now I have not got a very sophisticated set up for the few times I have shown some of my AV's to an audience. All I have done is connected a couple of speakers into the headphone socket on my laptop and this has worked but the sound quality and volume is not the best

Do these Aego M speakers connect in the same way?

One person also mentions using an amplifier, can somebody point me in the direction of obtaining more information about setting up audio on a laptop to improve sound quality when showing AVs to an audience in a large hall.

Regards

Tony Falla

Hi Tony

These are known as active speakers, they have their own amplifier. Passive speakers need an amplifier. So the active speakers need a power supply, usually mains power, however, you can buy them with batteries but I don't think they would give the same results as the mains powered versions.

Hi Yachtsman

Have you tried ringing Acoustic Energy directly?

Their sales number is on their web site: UK Sales Department

uksales@acoustic-energy.co.uk

+441285 654432

Their HQ is at Cirencester which is also where the 2008 RPS International AV Championships are being h eld in September.

Contact me if you have a problem.

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Yachtsman

Have you tried ringing Acoustic Energy directly?

Their sales number is on their web site: UK Sales Department

uksales@acoustic-energy.co.uk

+441285 654432

Their HQ is at Cirencester which is also where the 2008 RPS International AV Championships are being h eld in September.

Contact me if you have a problem.

Thanks Maureen

I've located a supplier on Ebay now who has stock.

Thanks Maureen

I've located a supplier on Ebay now who has stock.

You will be much better off going direct to the supplier I reckon./ I bought mine from then a couple of years ago and have been very pleased.

Ron