WnSoft Forums

Two New Tutorials on PTE and Sound Posted

Lin Evans

Hi,

I just posted two new tutorials and explanations on music/sound use with PTE here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

Go to the bottom of the pinned topic: PTE Made Easy (PTE for Smarties) and click on links to download zipped AVI Tutorials.

Lin

Lin,

I've downloaded Sound1 tutorial. When I double-clicked it, it launched into Windows Media Player but I only got sound - no pictures. I tried to open it in Windows Media Center and was told that WMC couldn't find the necessary Codecs. So, I downloaded the codecs via the link that you had provided and installed them by following the instruction on the download website. Still don't see the pictures in WMP and still get WMC complaining that there are no Codecs.

This all confirms my "luddite" view that video is just too damned complicated. My PC runs Vista Home Premium. Any advice as to what I need to do to see the video, please?

Hi Peter,

Try VLC Media Player - Free. This should solve the problem. Windows WMC has been problematic for several people. Here's a link:

http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Player/3...4-10267151.html

Lin,

I've downloaded Sound1 tutorial. When I double-clicked it, it launched into Windows Media Player but I only got sound - no pictures. I tried to open it in Windows Media Center and was told that WMC couldn't find the necessary Codecs. So, I downloaded the codecs via the link that you had provided and installed them by following the instruction on the download website. Still don't see the pictures in WMP and still get WMC complaining that there are no Codecs.

This all confirms my "luddite" view that video is just too damned complicated. My PC runs Vista Home Premium. Any advice as to what I need to do to see the video, please?

Lin,

When following the download link for VLC I get asked to authorise a payment of 18GBP for one year's subscription or over 40GBP for three year's subscription to a download service that I'll probably never use again. In my book that means VLC is not free. Free means there are no charges - period!

I'll have to forego the pleasures of learning from your AVI file tutorials.

Further to my last post...

I used Google to search for VLC Media Player and found that I could download it from cnet via this link:

I've used cnet before and they are genuinely free. I have now successfully downloaded and installed VLC and am about to enjoy watching your tutorial.

That sounds like a scam - VLC Media Player is free - no charge - sounds like the company at the link I provided is trying to capitalize on free software downloads by possibly collecting links and selling a convenience service of some sort.

There are many places to download it and I just picked the first one which came up on my search engine. It's a great product so hopefully will work for you with no problems.

I'll change the link on my post above to the CNET one....

Best regards,

Lin

Further to my last post...

I used Google to search for VLC Media Player and found that I could download it from cnet via this link:

I've used cnet before and they are genuinely free. I have now successfully downloaded and installed VLC and am about to enjoy watching your tutorial.

Great tutorials Lin and very timely too. Thanks for them.

Just this week I give a talk to a group of photographers starting, (about 6 months experience), in the area of AV Digital Image and Audio Presentation, DIAP and PTE. I now use my H2 recorder to record a session like this so I can review and improve my performance, and I found of the 18 questions I had 9 were on the audio area of PTE. This would be the norm I experience from not just beginners in PTE but more advanced users as well.

With the addition of basic sound editing in the next version of PTE I hope Igor will be able to bring together the existing and new audio functionality and make working with sound in PTE a little more user friendly and intuitive.

EDIT 17:35 to correct spelling.

Hi LIn

I eventually managed to download PZR for smarties. Got the sound but no picture so downloaded the freeware you suggested as well but still have the same problem as Fh1805> Not sure how I find the video to make it run in the Vlc software. Your file seems to want to open in Windows media player. Any Ideas?

Mike

I had exactly the same problem with VLC on the Tutorial Xara Xtreme, it would not play on Media Player, sound only no video. I tried to download using

http://www.click-to-download.com/vlcmediap...ID=120997483512

Using this link you are asked to subscribe and play a fee. I found however that I had no problem getting a free download using

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Both of which appear in PTE for Smarties pinned item.

The tutorial worked with VLC when it wouldn't work with Media Player.

Tony Falla

Hi Mike,

Your downloads went somewhere, so do a search using the Windows search facility for "sound1.zip" and "sound2.zip". Once you find the files, unzip to get sound1.avi and sound2.ave then put them somewhere convenient. Open VLC Media Player, click on File then Open then navigate to one of the two AVI files and open them with VLC Media Player.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi LIn

I eventually managed to download PZR for smarties. Got the sound but no picture so downloaded the freeware you suggested as well but still have the same problem as Fh1805> Not sure how I find the video to make it run in the Vlc software. Your file seems to want to open in Windows media player. Any Ideas?

Mike

Hi,

I just posted two new tutorials and explanations on music/sound use with PTE here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

Go to the bottom of the pinned topic: PTE Made Easy (PTE for Smarties) and click on links to download zipped AVI Tutorials.

Lin

Just a brief note to express my thanks to Lin for the time and effort he puts into these tutorials (and also, all the expert advice he provides).

It is greatly appreciated, I'm sure, by the many 'silent' users of this great prodcut.

Alan

Guest Yachtsman1
Just a brief note to express my thanks to Lin for the time and effort he puts into these tutorials (and also, all the expert advice he provides).

It is greatly appreciated, I'm sure, by the many 'silent' users of this great prodcut.

Alan

Ditto from me.

Yachtsman1.