WnSoft Forums

O&A Pixel Size

TonyFalla

I may be missing something but as my shows are in 4:3 format I have always sized my pictures for the projector at 1024x768. I recently discovered however that in O&A the black rectangle is 1600 x 1200 pixels, so my carefully sized masked did not fit as I expected when I used Original Mode instead of Fit to Slide Mode. Not a major problem and I soon got around it.

I was just wondering as I haven't used 16:9 or any of the other formats yet, is there a list of the pixel sizes for these various formats anywhere or is there the facility to set up the pixel size you require?

Tony Falla

I suspect that you are setting "Fullscreen" mode and 4:3?

The black rectangle then represents your screen size - your monitor resolution.

If you add a 1024x768 to this and set "original" in O&A / Common your image should then be a proportionate size in the middle of the rectangle. "Fit to slide" will fill the screen on your monitor and interpolate the 1024x768 image up to 1600x1200.

I have produced a "Monitor Resolution / Aspect Ratio Comparator" for each of the different aspect ratio monitors. If it is of any interest I could e-mail you a copy of the 4:3 version. It will be around 5Mb.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will get it to you.

DaveG

Tony,

If your projector's native resolution is 1024x768, then this is the size that you should set for your images (unless you are doing some deep zooms or wide pans). Don't worry about how the sequence looks on your monitor at a different resolution. Just make sure that the PC that drives the projector is set to a resolution of 1024x768 before you start the show running. If you've built the sequence to 1024x768 then it will project at 1024x768.

I build my sequences at 1024x768 (4:3) to match my projector. They are built on a 1280x1024 (5:4) monitor but played back through the projector from a laptop with a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. All my images are set to "Fit to Slide". I don't experience any problems with this approach.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, the black rectangle pixel size is determined by your monitor resolution and will use the maximum possible for the chosen aspect ratio. My monitor is a 1920 x 1200 thus the maximum 4:3 is 1600 x 1200, if I used 16:9 the maximum is 1920 x 1180, 15:10 1800 x1200, etc.

That helps my understanding a lot, I was preparing some 4:3 images but only using 95% of Slide to show main images. I had a semi-transparent image moving over the top of this but found that when I previewed the effect the top image appeared around the edges. I therefore carefully made a 1600 x 1200 mask with a cut out of 973 x 730 (95% of 1024 x 768). It was when I found that this didn't work no matter whether I set the mode to original or fit to slide, I asked the question. It was fairly easily solved by zooming but I like to understand what is happening

Tony

I always used to prepare my images to 1024x768 as a kind of standard size that would be acceptable on most monitors and projectors. Now, however, more and more monitors/projectors have different resolutions and different aspect ratios. The one difficulty I can see is that we can't always be certain what resolution or aspect ratio equipment our shows are going to be viewed with, especially if we send them away to competitions etc.

Can anyone offer advice on a recommended image size that we should now regard as a new "standard" in place of 1024x768?

Keith